It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you sense your TV being ON?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
For the longest time, I notice when I step into a house either it's mine or someone's else, without hearing any sound coming from the TV, I can sense that it is already on. I would be up stairs, about to go down stairs, and I can sense that the TV is already on, once I go down stairs into the next room, the TV is on. You can't hear it, You don't see it, But you Sense it's on, What is it?!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've noticed mine, and a lot of folk's TVs tend to emit a frequency that's hard to hear, but noticable if you listen for it. I can't sleep with my TV on personally, because I can hear it.
As for something beyond that, no. The frequency is lfairly piercing, I can hear it from the front door when the TV is in another room, or if the door is cleased.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yes. Always. I'm guessing there's a faint buzz to any electronics that are left on. But I do seem to notice the tv being on despite the screen being black.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The high pitched whistle that you can hear when the tv is switched on is at 15.625kHz . This is the frequency of the line scan (left to right of the screen) timebase. This occors in all CRT screens, though some are louder than others...

I always hear that sound when televisions are on, without hearing whats on it.
I notice that when I meditate I also ''hear'' the sound at the same time I see it. Well it reminds me of the frequency...

I talked to a cable guy and he said the flyback transformer causes the sound when the tv is turned on.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awarenessiskey
without hearing any sound coming from the TV, I can sense that it is already on

wrong, you are hearing the frequency buzzing of the tube. i know it's not the usual cacophony that represents commercials, sitcoms, or some other useless drivel, but it's still on and your ears know it.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I was just thinking about something like this today, yea i too can hear the frequency of the TV being on even when it's black too, in todays age you would think they could make a TV were we didn't hear the frequencies.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I can hear/feel the TV on as well as hear a dog whistle.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by King Seesar
I was just thinking about something like this today, yea i too can hear the frequency of the TV being on even when it's black too, in todays age you would think they could make a TV were we didn't hear the frequencies.
They do, they are called HD.
The CRT televisions, by their design, give off the frequency as a side kind of thing. Can't fix it, probably can muffle it to a deggree.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
O i c, So that explains it. How come some people cant hear it? Or maybe they are not aware of it?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I get that sense as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yes, exactly right previous poster, the flyback transformer is very noticeable. I can tell the difference between PAL and NTSC both by listening and by clicking my teeth (try it!). Whether a TV is on or not (even more modern LCD/plasma TVs) is obvious, even from rooms away.

I can also hear leaky caps in power supplies (I assume that's what they are); the cheaper the more noticeable. And I 'smell' electrical equipment to get an idea of its age, how much it's been used, and manufacturing quality. It works -- again, try it, the chemical outgassing and 'ozone'-like smell is quite distinct -- I'm kind of weird that way, I guess.

Edit to mention: actually, the 'clicking teeth' trick isn't even necessary to tell PAL (50Hz) signal... it's obvious just by looking. It does make it definite, though. You can tell the difference between, say, 60Hz and 85Hz refresh rate (progressive) by this trick though.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yep, I've heard/felt this since I was little. Always thought it was peculiar but now thanks to this thread I know what it is.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It is basicly commonly understood scientific knowledge/understanding that humans are sensitive to the electromegnetic spectrum. Some are more conscious of this then others. Televisions, along with other electronics create megnitic (for lack of a better turm) "bubbles". One might think of these as supermicro magnetic vertisies.

When you realize that magnetic fields, that are all around us, generate and manipulate photons in the electromagnetic filed, that then our bodies can be senisitive to...

Well it's like another vision...

blah blah...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Yes, I can tell that a TV is on as well. I am very sensitive to some electromagnetics.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Have you ever been home during a blackout? Did you notice how eerily quiet it suddenly became?

Every single damned electrical thing we have in our homes buzzes or hums to some degree. There are a million and one sources of noise in electrical devices from capacitors in power supply circuitry, to the magnetostrictive humming in transformers (like the flyback), or even the buzzing from the filaments in incandescent light bulbs.

Most people are surprised to learn that even the wiring in the walls constantly emit a very low frequency hum (at 60hz.) You may not hear any of the above consciously but you still pick it up and just filter it out automatically.

Jon

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I can hear it as well, it is almost like you can feel it. I would suggust doing a test with someone, by blindfolding yourself and putting earplugs and earmuffs on so that you can't hear it, and then testing to see if you can tell if it is on or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
i also can sense when my tv is on when i am walking up to my house. I can "feel" it, and i figured it was the electromagnetic field. I believe also, that HDTV's emit an electromagnetic field something on the order of 100x greater than that of a regular TV. Off the subject, I had a friend who was a doctor and he was working for a research institute in phoenix after he graduated where they were studying the effects of electromagnetic fields on human blood cells, due to the high Iron in the Hemoglobin. It was pretty interesting how freaked out he was, as he said that in their studies, people who spend much time around HDTV's begin to have malformed red blood cells, and that these cells begin to have a curvature, similar to a minor version of sickle cell. It actually CHANGES the SHAPE of our blood cells! ah, science...what wont they think up next.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yep i've heard the sound since I was a child. I can hear it outside of peoples homes. I heard somewhere the frequency of "love"(whatever that means exactly) is 528bps. Any thoughts? And here I was thinking I was the only one hearing that....

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Interesting, As a parapsychologist I believe that the previous posts on frequency are correct. Psychologically speaking, In our modern day world we subconsciously expect that the TV is on.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That sound is incredibly annoying. Its not only televisions, though; I have yet to find an electronic which didn't emit some sort of high-pitched, irritating sound. I think the worst areas are probably the entertainment sections of Best Buy and any school or college computer rooms; I get a headache after a few minutes in those places.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join