It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems in Breaking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's been frustratingly obvious lately that the breaking news forum is less well moderated than it has been in the past. The numbers of duplicate threads are getting out of hand. I've seen double and triple posts often lately. I've also noticed that the OP commentary is getting smaller and less insightfull in the rush to be first.

I miss some of the well thought out breaking posts from the past. I'd really like to see people use the search function more before posting in breaking.

If I'm just having sour grapes let me know. I've had a couple of threads stepped on lately so I may just be bitter.

If I'm not just indulging in a bit of whining what can be done about it?

Return to mod approval like the way Breaking Used to be?

Some type of post ban from Breaking for those who repeatedly post duplicate threads or minimal commentary at the expense of better sourced and more in depth commentary.

I think anyone who has ever posted in breaking has stepped on/been stepped on by another thread understands that it happens sometimes, but it is becoming an epidemic. I've seen other thoughtful posters in the past link to the other thread they stepped on before a mod had the chance to lock it. That is the type of civillity that seems to be degradng around here.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by jefwane]

[edit on 25-8-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I have to agree. I think the best solution would to implement a minimum character count in the commentary section. I see posts that simply say, here we go again. What is that, it doesn't add anything to ATS.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I think if people do a search and if they don't find it, they should also click on the recent post tab and scan a few pages back. They should be able to find a post no matter which forum it's posted in.

I strictly use the 'recent post' feature and I see so many of the same posts, one beneath the other sometimes--and I see people posting in both not aware there are two threads.
edited because my spelling is atrocious. Man, I hope I spelled that right.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I think a minimum character count would be a great idea in breaking. I feel bad sometimes when I post a single paragraph and often edit in additions after I've thought more to increase the size of an OP.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

That would be ideal, I am surprised a staff member has not commented on this, as this is an issue I think they can address.

new topics

top topics

join