It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sceptic offers hot air theory on UFOs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
And any decent scientists will tell you well its what we have calculated from our studies however nothing can ever be 100% proven.
The point is many sightings of UFO's can be explained.
But just as many that can be explained cant be explained.

Exactly.

However I like to take the approach of assuming there is a rational explanation of something, before I jump to conclusions. If people really wanted to be taken seriously on the UFO topic, then they need to rule out any possibility before automatically assuming it is a UFO

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by OzWeatherman

What? No mention of swamp gas, Mr. Shermer?

What, is that not rediculous enough for you now?

lol not many swamps in the outback

it has to have been thermal expansion

@ Ozweatherman - first pic looks like a weather balloon, the 2nd pic kinda looks like a military fighter, the US military would probably find the outback as a perfect location to test top secret planes, lets face it theres nothing to do in the outback except work and drink and who is going to believe somone smelling of grog?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
@ Ozweatherman - first pic looks like a weather balloon, the 2nd pic kinda looks like a military fighter, the US military would probably find the outback as a perfect location to test top secret planes, lets face it theres nothing to do in the outback except work and drink and who is going to believe somone smelling of grog?

We have swamps, they're just empty at the moment as its the dry season up here

Tindal airbase is just 300kms to the south of us too, and we the pitch black war games at the same time that the majority of the sightings took place....and now it seems everyone is looking up at the sky

There's more to do in the outback than you think by the way...you just have to now where to look

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

for my sins i moved to Mt Isa, nothing up here except beer and dust .. oh and lead theres always the lead

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Interestinggg
And any decent scientists will tell you well its what we have calculated from our studies however nothing can ever be 100% proven.
The point is many sightings of UFO's can be explained.
But just as many that can be explained cant be explained.

Exactly.

However I like to take the approach of assuming there is a rational explanation of something, before I jump to conclusions. If people really wanted to be taken seriously on the UFO topic, then they need to rule out any possibility before automatically assuming it is a UFO

Yeah I agree some don't help the topic at all.
They talk of ridiculous things.
But I believe people like shermer are just as bad.
Because while there is no 100% proof of anything, there is enough proof of UFO's to say there is "something unknown".
There is always the suggestion with some aided proof that they are our own aircraft that we operate secretly.
But the point is, why would we be flying up to our own nuclear missiles and scanning them?
Obviously whatever it was wanted to make sure it was indeed a dummy warhead.
Even the Russians would have known that before hand from satellite scans.
Whatever this was doesn't need satellites.
And in disabling them on many occasions whatever it was doing it was trying to tell us "hey those aren't nice things turn them off".
If the Russians could disable our missiles they wouldn't allow them to be turned back on.

There is unidentified "things" flying around our skys doing things we don't know about.
That is a fact.
What shermer says is just dribble.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think you guys are 'spitting the dummy' a bit, somewhat understandable as this is a subject you are passionate about, but..

At the end of the day there is no conclusive proof of any alien activity, of course ufo's exist in so far as people see things and don't know what they are, but thats a long way from visiting space creatures.

We do know that there are people who deliberatly hoax ufo and alien encounters, and there is also a massive movie and sci fi industry revloving around the subject which probably influences people far more than they are willing to accept.

I think he's right there are probably other lifeforms out there, but by they could take absolutly any form, and is it not likely that they are completely unrelated to us in every way? we always apply very human traits to our ideas of aliens, these very politically driven aliens that are in league with the government, or wish to save us, or raise us to this new spiritual plain etc etc

Thats all he really says here isn't it, life on other planets probably does exist, but that shouldn't be confused with what human imagination can create

The 911 thing, well its typical of americans to assume that the only way that something like that could happen was if they had organised it themselves, but hey who knows, i'm fairly sure tho that it wasn't holograms and a good stereo system

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I think you guys are 'spitting the dummy' a bit, somewhat understandable as this is a subject you are passionate about, but..

Im not spitting the dummy, in fact I do agree with you to a ceratin extent. Sometimes the extreme skeptic is just as bad as the conspiracy nut, just rather than making assumptions that everything is real, without investigation, they jump to the conclusion that everything is not real, without investigation

Its a shame about this guy though beacuse he is an intelligent guy. I wouldve been more interested to see his own independant study, rather than him just coming out and assuming people were seeing weather balloons, etc

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Im not spitting the dummy, in fact I do agree with you to a ceratin extent. Sometimes the extreme skeptic is just as bad as the conspiracy nut, just rather than making assumptions that everything is real, without investigation, they jump to the conclusion that everything is not real, without investigation

Its a shame about this guy though beacuse he is an intelligent guy. I wouldve been more interested to see his own independant study, rather than him just coming out and assuming people were seeing weather balloons, etc

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join