It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critique - How Did Michelle Obama Do During Democratic Convention Speech?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Michelle Obama, how can she relate to the average american? She makes
over 310,000$ a year, even while on medical leave!!

Yeah! poor, poor Obama's give me a break!! Michelle proved last night, that
given a well scripted speech, she makes one hell of an actress!!

[edit on 26-8-2008 by paxnatus]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I find it interesting that Obama and his wife are constantly giving speeches to cover their ass for something they said, than we're all just supposed to forget about it and accept the media spin. Yet, when McCain says something stupid than corrects it, its still fair game to constantly throw back at him.

Can anyone explain to me why this is?

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm not going to answer any of the stupid questions that were asked of me.

One issue that I saw being discussed this morning that relates to Michelle, her family and her speech:

Many black people in this country are told that if the standard is at a certain level, they will probably have to work harder and achieve a higher standard than white people to receive the same credit and respect. And then, when they do, as the Obamas have, they have to explain why they're doing so well. They almost have to apologize! They have to justify that they have achieved the American Dream, something we ALL wish to do.

That sucks!

I, for one, am in great awe of what these Americans have done with their lives and FOR other people. They worked hard to achieve greatness and now jealous and bigoted people try to cut them down, simply for the fact of their success. :shk:

They worked hard to get where they are and they deserve every bit of it!

But if you're John McCain, and you get into the Naval Academy because your father is an Admiral, even though you finished at the bottom of your class, then you marry the richest woman you can find and buy 8 houses and are a millionaire, somehow you can call Obama and "elitist" and get away with it. How dare a black man become successful in this country! He must be an uppity negro.
That's the ONLY way Obama can be called "elite" when compared to John McCain.

That's the attitude the Obamas are up against. That's why her speech is so meaningful to me. The speech that Michelle gave shows how hard they worked and I, as an American, am proud that they succeeded beyond ME, financially, and have such a wonderful, loving family. And I sincerely hope they are the next first family of this country.

Go Obamas!

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Sorry Michelle, you already let the "jeannie out of the bottle" with your first remark of "for the first time in my adult life.....I don't buy last nights speech for anything in the world.

She is just another far left wing liberal.

At least she didn't say, "my baby's daddy".....

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Many black people in this country are told that if the standard is at a certain level, they will probably have to work harder and achieve a higher standard than white people to receive the same credit and respect. And then, when they do, as the Obamas have, they have to explain why they're doing so well. They almost have to apologize! They have to justify that they have achieved the American Dream, something we ALL wish to do.

Are you able to see the Obamas as any thing other than "black people"? Is it possible for you to just seem them as regular American people that don't need to be constantly painted as victims? You seem to want everyone to stop questioning them, based on their skin color. You call everyone who does question them bigots, without realizing that it is YOU who is the bigot.

I mean, do you think all white people magically archive some high standard? Do you think its because of their skin color? I just have a real hard time understanding the thought processes of someone like you, who sees nothing but skin color.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

Truth is, I wanted Hillary this election in spite of my Republican political leanings.

My GOD man, was that hard to admit. So you're a PUMA. Nice to meet you, you spoiled "computer science degree" person (can I say bastard?).

[edit on 26-8-2008 by walkinghomer]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This whole DNC so far has been nothing but big budget theatre. I almost cringed listening to Michelle Obama speaking. It seemed so scripted, forced and contrived to the extent that almost everything that came out of her mouth seemed like a pack of lies (although im sure it wasn't). I'm sorry, but after her comments that have subsequently drawn doubts over her patriotism, i am reluctant to believe she or indeed Obama are the real deal.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by theblunttruth]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theblunttruth

Yeah, well wait until the GOP has their little fete'. Imagine how hilarious it will be to watch all of the rich, old white men trying to sound sympathetic and convince us they are just like us.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Her and her parents hard work, should be an example for the rest of the country...too bad she discourages others from achieving the same goals.

Can you elaborate? I don't know what specifically you are referring to.

If you are going to throw out NONSENSE like that at least respect the readers and posters enough to pretend to support the statement with FACTS.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso
Sorry Michelle, you already let the "jeannie out of the bottle" with your first remark of "for the first time in my adult life.....I don't buy last nights speech for anything in the world.

She is just another far left wing liberal.

At least she didn't say, "my baby's daddy".....

Hey Tom...

"Jeannie" is spelled "Genie" in this context.

Your use of the term "Baby's daddy" is entirely dumb and mildly racist.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

Don't work yourself into a coronary, jetxnet. You've made your feelings on the subject of the Obamas more than abundant.

And you made assumptions to the contrary.

Are you American?

*Power couple* ... hmmm, that's a new one since Obama's sexual orientation is highly questionable. Who really wears the pants then?

Oh ..no, I get it. They work as a team for hope, change and unity! I got ya.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by jetxnet]

Wow, I'm amazed you're allowed to vote..there should be an IQ test or something in place to weed out the dumbasses

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

It makes one wonder what is he going to do with the left over money if he does'nt win.

I for one would like to know where all that money is coming from.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
I find it interesting thats Obama and his wife are constantly giving speeches to cov er their ass for something they said, than we're all just supposed to forget about it and accept the media spin. Yet, when McCain says something stupid than corrects it, its still fair game to constantly throw back at him.

Can anyone explain to me why this is?

I'll do my best.

Often with regards to the OBAMAs ... comments are distorted and thus require "explanation" to combat the "take the qoute out of context" , "assign meaning and sentiment where there is none", "pretend you can't clearly see what the speaker meant" ANYTHING GOES tactics. So you see EXPLANATION or further speaking about a topic by the Obama camp is neccessary to combat general distortion tactics by the opposition. You view this further explanation/discussion/speeches by the Obama camp on a given topic as SPIN.

While with regards to John MCCAIN ...He says things that don't need to be distorted to be fodder for poltics...like "I hate the gooks. I will hate the gooks as long as I live" SEE .....THERE ISN"T MUCH ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION OR NEED TO DISTORT CONTEXT or MEANING HERE.

THUS AN APOLOGY is NECCESSARY to continue in his political career AND the apoligies are usually given by him grudingly.

GET THE DIFFERENCE NOW?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by theblunttruth

Yeah, well wait until the GOP has their little fete'. Imagine how hilarious it will be to watch all of the rich, old white men trying to sound sympathetic and convince us they are just like us.

Ok, but you see what you done there, you made it about race. Anyway i digress. I made no acknowledgement to political leanings and certainly didn't make any comparison to the upcoming GOP convention. You talk about "rich white men", but it seems Obamas is the campaign with the most money behind it and breaking all sorts of funding records..

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I must be one of the few people on whom the Obama spell has failed. I did try to be fair when watching Michelle last night, but to be honest what I saw was not someone speaking from the heart - it was someone acting a part.

Her speech was well-written and she regurgitated it quite well - but all I got out of it was that she's able to put on a performance when called to do so. The only time I felt like she was actually speaking heartfelt words was when she spoke of her family.

A for content, B for performance, D+ for believability

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Saw part of her speech this morning. I have to say she seems extremely animated. I loved the message behind the speech but I truly feel she didn't have a passion for what she was saying.

Then she sucks up to Hillary to top it off.

She seemed very animated and un-natural as compared to other speeches and appearances she has made.

Ted Kennedy on the other hand, never ever fails to deliver.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

That was funny - I got the exact same out of it, but beat you to the punch by a mere half a second LOL

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Michelle Obama's speech was amazing, I have followed her carefully and believe she truly cares about her country, despite however the media tries to spin to make her seem elite or unpatriotic those who truly have any sense and understanding will do their own research and stop feeding to all the b/s smears against her... The reason why she and her husband make so much money is because they worked hard for it, there is no secret to that.

There are those who are scared to see an intelligent and articulate young lady who, had the same opportunity we all have, but reached "a bit higher", who is courageous enough to speak out for not just her husband, but her country- It is a sad day when folks become critical of anyone’s desires to see the least among us receive a better life.. .we have much more work to do towards becoming our best selves.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Some may say that Mrs. Obama may have had help making her speech but it was her life that she lived, she can't make that up. They've struggled individually to make it where they are, they did not wake up as rich children.

If you seek it, you can find positive in any situation or learn something that allows you to move forward and grow. Why always look for the negative or try to point out the negative so maliciously. It's time for a change.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm reading many posts of anti-Michelle Obama folks who are asking how dare she claim to understand people who are poor, or less fortunate then her.

Here's how: It's called empathy. The ability to put ones self in another's shoes. We all do it, or at least claim to. What makes any of you think she can't? My god, people, you accuse her of the very same thing your practising now. She worked her ass off to get where she is, it wasn't handed to her. She had to get the grades, she had to do the work. She's old enough to have run into many barriers that most of us haven't. That she broke past them speaks well for her.

Are there things I don't like about her? Hard to say, I don't know that much about her, and contrary to popular belief in some circles, neither does anyone else outside of her immediate circle.

Now I know that I just became an Obamatron, or whatever the latest cute little descriptor is, with this post.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join