It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple question from an alien/ufo novice.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by Prote
Perhaps the fact that you thought about it makes it so

Aliens in a quantum state affected by my observation AND realization! I like, I like.

Now 3 2 1 and manifest. ta taa!

Nope, they must be somewhere else.

Maybe you should look up

or, you just killed them by denying their existence.
or, they are there, just outside your visual spectrum.
or, or, or...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Life evolving microscopically would be difficult because it greatly decreases the potential complexity of it. You can't really make tiny spaceships the size of quarks because a single metal molecule wold be the same size as you are... try making a frying pan if the smallest piece of steel/iron you could make was 5 feet tall, without it breaking into separate molecules.

Do we know this for sure?
If an intelligent life forms are the size of a quarks, they will be able to have the same spacial proportional relationship that we have with our environment.
So I don't see size as anything other than an anthropomorphic limit.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A kind of secondary question to this one might be, "Can we really consider something to be intelligent if it is not intelligent in a way we human beings can understand it?"

Get what I'm saying here? Supposing that somewhere out there in the vastness of the Universe there is a thing or form that is essentially alive as we define it (appears to purposely ingest and excrete matter or energy), and manifests some kind of behavior, but we don't have a clue as why it does what it does. Maybe it can see into various dimensions we can't, and this ability motivates it to do certain things, but to us the activity seems basically random.

Would that "count" as intelligence to us? Or is only intelligence we can understand and that has some kind of impact on us really the only thing we should care about?

I was thinking of this in relation to the Gnostic notion of the Creator God, a being (if it could even be called that) that would be so completely beyond our understanding and comprehension that it might not even be said to exist, since it essentially wouldn't in any way we could figure out. Would that count as an intelligence, if we couldn't comprehend it?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
An interesting fresh outlook for a change.

I can imagine it now aliens in a small spaceship the size of a dust particle about to be dusted off my book shelf.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Supposing that somewhere out there in the vastness of the Universe there is a thing or form that is essentially alive as we define it (appears to purposely ingest and excrete matter or energy), and manifests some kind of behavior, but we don't have a clue as why it does what it does. Maybe it can see into various dimensions we can't, and this ability motivates it to do certain things, but to us the activity seems basically random.

That my friend, is an excellent point.
What's more, you are actually inadvertently describing the behavior of quarks!
I'm not saying they're alive, but you are correct in adding to the OP that we not only take an anthropomorphic view of alien forms but also of behavior.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Perhaps beings in the universe do eventually evolve into energy or other 'different', higher state of body, if you can call it a body. I mean every being needs a 'container' to be in, so that it can interact with its surroundings.

You see where I'm going with this. I guess what sometimes confuses me is this relatively "narrow" view of all the different ways that intelligent life could potentially manifest itself. In fact it would seem that the disc shaped "space ship" with some means of propulsion would be the least practical way to make one's way through the universe.

I've been wondering about this for as long as I've been interested in extraterrestrials. Why is it always humanoids? Why do people who allegedly had a contact with them always report them to have a head, two legs and two arms? Why not a floating sphere of gas inside a membrane instead? Or a bloody flying plaice, or an eel-like being with little trundles underneath it so it moves in a funny way.

The only realistic idea I can come up with is that there is some sort 'success formula' for a species. Basically, it goes like this - unless you have two legs, a waist and a head, you're out of the game mate.
You will be defeated in the process of natural evolution.

Sorry, I'll try to get back on topic...

Why can't any intelligent "alien" life form be manifested as light?
Or be so small as to have spaceships the size of quarks?
Or be intelligent bacteria?

1) Technologically 2) Naturally

1) I think it may be impossible to move a soul from a body to another body technologically. Another body in this case would be light as you say, photons perhaps, or some other exotic form of waves-particles that is similar to photons.

So why impossible? You need to dig deep to answer this one.
What ties your soul to your brain? (since I believe it's a fact that the brain is the main bit, other body parts can be easily changed)
Can you replace parts of your brain with artificial microscopic replacements? You replace one part of the brain, you replace another one, until the brain is completely artificial and microscopical (thus you can 'mount' it into a quark size spaceship, as you said). Is it the same being? Will it think the same way? Will it remember everything since its natural biological birth (coming out of a mother's womb, in our case)? But the main question is - if you replace the brain bit by bit, will the soul still be there? Will it be able to love and feel emotions?

I could go on with these phylosophical questions forever... So I'll just stop in the middle now.

Otherwise you can create some advanced form of intelligence (if you wanna create it, not transfer an existing being) and put it in a microscopic mothership that's capable of FTL speeds.
But it's just gonna be a program, a computer program. How do you know it will have a soul? Yes, an intelligent being the size of a bacteria, just like in your question. But is really a being or a program? If it is true AI. Does it really feel or just simulate emotions?

2) Exotic forms of life natural in origin? I think there may be things taken into account that we are not aware of. For example a civilization cannot keep evolving for an eternity. Either it collapses and the beings go back to stone age, or there is a wall that you bump into while evolving. When the body finishes evolving, it becomes a perfect container for a soul. Then the being evolve only spiritually. I mean take humans for example. We've been evolving for millions of years. Technological progress is moving in a geometrical progression. I don't think this kind of 'evolving' can go on forever. Of course there are numerous things in the Universe that we can learn about and discover but is that what you call evolving? What is evolution?

I haven't finished expressing all my thoughts, but this monologue could go on forever (and I'm also out of characters
)... I mean seriously - I could write a bloody book

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

New ager on the come up...

I'll recommend a few sites for you.... actually... this one will do for now:

near-death.com

If you want some more sites, let me know and I'll give you a huge list of sites that may have answers to help de-confuse you. I went through the whole thing being confused about GOD, aliens, and spirituality. I don't have all the answers but would be happy to help you do the research to give you some better insight.

Good luck on your journey and peace be with you

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bdswetty

I wouldn't say on the come-up.
I've been non-dual for about ten years of "practical" time.
Even host local satsangs in DC for Adyashanti.
But thank you for the kind offer.

I'm just a curious boy who want's to learn more bout aliens and their fans.
We can call it childish play.
I just find the whole thing fascinating and just wonder if one could be looking in less obvious spaces.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join