It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XMM-Newton Finds Most Massive Collection of Galaxies Yet!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

ESA’s orbiting X-ray observatory XMM-Newton has discovered the most massive cluster of galaxies seen in the distant Universe until now. The galaxy cluster is so big that there can only be a handful of them at that distance, making this a rare catch indeed. The discovery confirms the existence of dark energy. The newly-discovered monster, known only by the catalogue number 2XMM J083026+524133, is estimated to contain as much mass as a thousand large galaxies. Much of it is in the form of 100-million-degree hot gas. It was first observed by chance as XMM-Newton was studying another celestial object and 2XMM J083026+524133 was placed in a catalogue for a future follow-up.

Source: www.esa.int...

While analyzing 3500 observations, about 1% of the sky, scientists have stumbled upon the most densest collection of galaxies!! Wow!

Hi Def Image:

Point the Hubble that-a-way!!

I love how the scientists cross-referenced what they found with the observations of other powerful telescopes around the world.

The last bit in the article posted above sums up everything so well...

In other words, the team have found a cosmic ‘needle in a haystack’.

Good find, ESA!! Hurrah! Now for the other 99% of the sky! Get to work!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
wow, great find something new is always discovered in the universe which is mind blowing like this

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hey there, peacejet! Absolutely mind blowing, I concur! So dense, so far away... discovered by accident! Kind of like penicillin; some of the most exciting things are found by accident. This is definitely a jewel.

They already have some more info pouring out about this, a bit regurgitated, but new. This image here shows:

X-ray contours of 2XMM J083026.2+524133 overlaid on an r- and z-band colour composite image. The X-ray contours are from the 2XMM catalogue that is based on XMM-Newton EPIC observations.

Source: sci.esa.int...

It helps focus your eyes on the area that is attracting so much attention.

I'm going to enjoy trying to wrap my brain around any new cosmological models they come up with due to this find.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
just to add another discovery, today NIBIRU...

just kidding i dont know what it is but it is also interesting
news.bbc.co.uk...

Astronomers looking through the data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, the world's largest survey of galaxies, have found a new haul of objects closer to home - including one with a potentially exotic origin.

By searching through a survey region known as Stripe 82, a team led by Dr Andrew Becker of the University of Washington, has discovered almost 50 new asteroid-sized bodies in the outer regions of our Solar System.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
stupid post tired eyes

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
just to add another discovery, today NIBIRU...

You silly monkeybus. You -almost- had me there.
Thank you for your post, that's an interesting find. They did cross check images from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey with these XMM-Newton images to look for any previous evidence they might have missed of these dense clusters of galaxies. Those would be awesome comparison shots to see.

In regards to the missing post due to those tired eyes, don't worry, it's happened to us all at some time.

Elliptical galaxies are easily identified... most of the time. That galaxyzoo.org link you posted reminded me of those fun days of surveying as many as I could. Saw some strange things I could not identify a few times. Was a great project to be a part of and I can't wait to participate in Galaxy Zoo 2! You can too!

EDIT - 'cause nobody's perfect.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Rashaverak]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
yes, i came across it today, most fasinating, to think that i could find something undiscovered, is a cool feeling. like this little number

[edit on 26-8-2008 by monkeybus]

new topics

top topics

join