It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw an invisible airplane!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
You said that it was moving from the south to north. There were a few scattered clouds, and the wind direction changed from out of the north, to out of the south.. If near Love Field it could have been a corporate jet, they take off and land at much steeper angles than commercial flights, and create a now you see me now you don't scenario. Thinking about it, there has always been a tremendous amount of air traffic in that area. I moved and don't miss the noise .

I am not that close to Love Field that it would have been on the final landing approach, and even the jets that take off from the local municipal airport are far west of that intersection when they actually take off.

There were some clouds in the sky, but they were very high clouds--too high to interfere with a jet that is just taking off, as you said.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I put the glass on there because I thought that an airplane is a pretty big thing to have "invisible" in the sense that you wanted to define it as... I wondered if, after going thorugh all that invisible material, the light might start to cast a shadow as it does sometimes with an invisible glass.

Well the problem with transparent materials is that you would have to make the entire aircraft and everything it carries out of it to make it totally invisible. Otherwise its skin is invisible, so you get to see all its guts and the pilot. That would be basically impossible since you absolutely, positively need different materials in the aircraft for it to work: somethings that resist heat, some particularly strong, some to insulate, some to conduct. So the device in question would have to cover only the skin or bend light by using some sort of a field. If it were something embedded in the skin, though, it would also have to be able to survive high temperatures at leading edges and the nose cone.

However if the aircraft were made entirely of transparent material, due to the increased density there would be distortion depending on the thickness of the material. You are correct there. But again, you run into the viability issue when trying to explain what you saw.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well the problem with transparent materials is that you would have to make the entire aircraft and everything it carries out of it to make it totally invisible. Otherwise its skin is invisible, so you get to see all its guts and the pilot. That would be basically impossible since you absolutely, positively need different materials in the aircraft for it to work: somethings that resist heat, some particularly strong, some to insulate, some to conduct. So the device in question would have to cover only the skin or bend light by using some sort of a field. If it were something embedded in the skin, though, it would also have to be able to survive high temperatures at leading edges and the nose cone.

That's why I was thinking it had to be some kind of fiber-optic mechanism.

I think true "invisibility" as opposed to "camoflague" is pretty much impossible-- at least prohibitively impractical.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have seen what you have described every summer since the mid 1950s. I am not trying to mock you because I have had the same reaction at least a few times. We have had scattered showers and thunder storms for the last several days. Scattered clouds are present when these conditions exist. In the metroplex as crowded it is with structures nowadays it is hard to visually follow a shadow made by a small thundercloud. If you were at an elevated location, you would be able to see shadows from clouds more easily, and you probably have. It has been very windy as well and lots of intermittent clouds in the sky.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
I have seen what you have described every summer since the mid 1950s. I am not trying to mock you because I have had the same reaction at least a few times. We have had scattered showers and thunder storms for the last several days. Scattered clouds are present when these conditions exist. In the metroplex as crowded it is with structures nowadays it is hard to visually follow a shadow made by a small thundercloud. If you were at an elevated location, you would be able to see shadows from clouds more easily, and you probably have. It has been very windy as well and lots of intermittent clouds in the sky.

Hello Hyper,

I've already posted earlier in the thread the weather conditions at that particular time of day, they were not the type of cloud that would cast a shadow.

As for tall buildings, I was in an area that was fairly clear--you can see the arial photo that I posted--the only tall buildings to speak of were the ones at TWU, and they were in the direction that the plane was traveling so they would not have blocked my view. I can't see the rest of the tall buildings in the Metroplex from there and even if I could, they would have been behind me, not to my side.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I had the exact experience 6 months ago driving down a two lane country road. It was about 2 pm or so, sun high in a cloudless sky. Ten seconds from leaving a stop sign with no cars on the road a strange "whoosh" sound followed by a shadow appeared 100 feet before me. It sounded like a huge glider no more than 1000 feet above the road. It was so strange I pulled over to do panoramic scan the sky... but nothing was there. The shadow was as you described, going perpendicular to the road, at what looked to be around 100 to 150 miles per hour. The fact that I saw the whole outline let me know what ever it was, was close to the gound. The weird feeling of it gave me the chills.

It was no millitary hardware... no engine sound... it was unearthly.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Level X

I had the exact experience 6 months ago driving down a two lane country road. It was about 2 pm or so, sun high in a cloudless sky. Ten seconds from leaving a stop sign with no cars on the road a strange "whoosh" sound followed by a shadow appeared 100 feet before me. It sounded like a huge glider no more than 1000 feet above the road. It was so strange I pulled over to do panoramic scan the sky... but nothing was there. The shadow was as you described, going perpendicular to the road, at what looked to be around 100 to 150 miles per hour. The fact that I saw the whole outline let me know what ever it was, was close to the gound. The weird feeling of it gave me the chills.

It was no millitary hardware... no engine sound... it was unearthly.

That is exactly what mine was like. I would have gotten out to look up if I wasn't in traffic.

SO far we've had about 5 or 6 people say they saw the same thing.

I wonder if this is as common as the UFO experience, but less reported.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
If the aircraft was invisible it could not have cast a shadow due to the physics of light.

If you saw a shadow, you could have seen the plane. If you didn't see it, then either the shadow was from something else, or you merely weren't looking in the right direction.

It is possible that if the aircraft existed, the second it flew over you it activated its cloaking mechanism, but why would such a valuable technology be used in plain sight?

I second that.

If it was cloaked badly enough to cast a shadow, then by the same lack of ability to generate equal brightness of light as background, you would see the object if it was close enough or in your line of sight. So it is very easy to imagine the airplane would have been very far away, at a weird angle or just had a color that blended well with the background, or a combination of all of those.

Do not underestimate the ability of a plane shadow to maintain correct shape even when the airplane is very high up in the sky.

-rrr

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

At the time I was on high ground, with a good view over the trees lining the road. It was about 5 seconds before I got out of the car. I was fast to react because it was so so strange. I heard the whoosh because the sun roof was open. My first instinct was to follow the flight path of the shadow in the lower altitude. Nothing! Secondly, I traced the pattern in relation to the sun in the upper atmosphere... and nothing was in the sky. I've seen commercial jets leave shadows but their altitude makes a mile wide trail. The outline of this shadow was crisp, not defused as it was real real close to the ground. It left a solid wide delta type imprint, no thin fuselage and was much smaller than a commercial jet. And for those skepics... the damn thing was no hawk... no kite... cloud... weather ballon... and definitely not a figment of my imagination --- it was a real phenomenon, I could feel the air pressure!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Level X

At the time I was on high ground, with a good view over the trees lining the road. It was about 5 seconds before I got out of the car. I was fast to react because it was so so strange. I heard the whoosh because the sun roof was open. My first instinct was to follow the flight path of the shadow in the lower altitude. Nothing! Secondly, I traced the pattern in relation to the sun in the upper atmosphere... and nothing was in the sky. I've seen commercial jets leave shadows but their altitude makes a mile wide trail. The outline of this shadow was crisp, not defused as it was real real close to the ground. It left a solid wide delta type imprint, no thin fuselage and was much smaller than a commercial jet. And for those skepics... the damn thing was no hawk... no kite... cloud... weather ballon... and definitely not a figment of my imagination --- it was a real phenomenon, I could feel the air pressure!

Again, exactly what I experienced, short of feeling the air pressure.

Do you mind if I ask your general location? I am curious if you are close to me, or if these sightings are more widespread.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
From the date of your post and the location of your encounter it is possible that the shadow was cast by a high flying 747. One that comes to mind that was known to be in the vicinity would be Air Force One.

Bush was in Crawford,Texas this past week. Air Force One is notorious for not being seen from the ground because of its light blue painted underbelly which blends in with the sky when looking up from the ground.It also has specially design engines that are quieter than a normal jet engine, for comfort I suppose.

Even a plane flying very high will still cast a shadow when it passes between the sun and the earth. Depending on the time of day and the angle of the sun in the sky it may not be directly above you when the shadow passes over you.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
From the date of your post and the location of your encounter it is possible that the shadow was cast by a high flying 747. One that comes to mind that was known to be in the vicinity would be Air Force One.

Bush was in Crawford,Texas this past week. Air Force One is notorious for not being seen from the ground because of its light blue painted underbelly which blends in with the sky when looking up from the ground.It also has specially design engines that are quieter than a normal jet engine, for comfort I suppose.

Even a plane flying very high will still cast a shadow when it passes between the sun and the earth. Depending on the time of day and the angle of the sun in the sky it may not be directly above you when the shadow passes over you.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

That is an intersting theory. I never knew AF1 was blue on the understide.

I have also seen a Mobile Airborn Command plane on the ground... which are similar to AF1... but as far as I know, they do not take off in this part of Tx.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I live in upstate New York, at the time I was attending a business conference in a city General Sherman burned to the ground.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't pretend to be an expert, but I thought the whole theory behind cloaking is to bend light around objects. If the plane in question had used some sort of cloaking device, I don't think it could have cast a shadow.

It should have BENT the light around the plane using current theories of cloaking. It would have to BLOCK the light in order to create a shadow.

EDIT: To fix pictures.

A plane couldn't use a fiber optic display and make itself "invisible" in a 360º radius. The display could only show one pattern for a single angle. For example: one person standing in front of the plane, looking at the nose, doesn't necessarily see the same thing that a person standing in behind the plane sees. That doesn't mean that it couldn't work, but it's definitely a faulty theory for "cloaking" an object such as a plane.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I can't believe I'm reading this thread.

Another reason ATS is killing ATS

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I don't pretend to be an expert, but I thought the whole theory behind cloaking is to bend light around objects. If the plane in question had used some sort of cloaking device, I don't think it could have cast a shadow.

It should have BENT the light around the plane using current theories of cloaking. It would have to BLOCK the light in order to create a shadow.

I can't see your pictuers, but the relationships of fiberoptic "invisibility" and shadows has been discussed already in the first two or three pages.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkpr0

If it had a cloaking device or way to wrap light around it, it would still cast a shadow by blocking the sun, wouldn't it?
Wil

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
One thing to think about is the fact that in certain situations Vapors have shadows. I think it depends on the angle of the light to the angle of the vapors movement...and probably the intensity of the light source. I'm no particle physicist but I know I've seen shadows of heat vapors and gasoline vapors on multiple occasions. I know that the shadows weren't "pitch black" but they were there none the less. Couldn't that "explain" the "invisible" jet leaving a shadow.

Not that I'm saying the plane was made of vapors, don't be ridiculous (even though we ARE speaking of invisible jets.) But if "invisible" vapors can cast a shadow than it's possible that cloaking technology could also. What if it just refracts light rather than truly bending it? Edit to add: sorta like Stealth technology in the F-117 doesn't let RADAR pass through it insomuch as it changes the direction of the return.

Well that's my 2.5 cents. Just another option to ponder over until it gives you a headache.

--Apex

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Apex Predator]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If invisibility cloacks exist , they would be just like for example what is showed in games like halo and mgs , they dont become completely invisble.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by dracodie]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That is about the most ridiculous post I have ever seen. "I saw an invisible airplane". Curious though, later did you not see a visible one?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join