It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian researcher saves the world!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Australian researcher saves the world!

www.smh.com.au

August 23, 2008 - 11:03AM

An Australian researcher has won an international prize for her plan to wrap a giant asteroid with reflective sheeting to stop it colliding with the earth and destroying all life.

Such an impact would have the force of 110,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs if the asteroid, which actually exists, hits the planet in 2036, said Mary D'Souza, a PhD student with the University of Queensland's School of Engineering.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ok, this is something i've dreamed about for years is a giant asteroid hitting the earth and exterminating life as we know it. Is there really a known asteroid headed at us in the year 2036? Hopefully this ladies plan works and saves all of us if it is!!

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well its coming this way.But hit I dunno they pretty sure it wont from what ive read.But these things can change quickly.
I guess the fact she is just trying to find ways to deal with it if it was to hit is a good thing.
Although personally I think we have enough destructive weapons to cause it to completely head in the other direction.
Another less dangerous method would be better.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here's a plan:

Lets get a team of astronauts up there with a bomb and land on the Asteroid. Then, Have the guy from Die Hard to blow it up.

It worked in the movie....

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Lmao, yes lets get bruce willis to save us... and before that Elijah Wood has to spot the damn thing!!!

Nah, but I definately agree with you, its good we're actually looking into ways of actually trying to deflect or destroy this thing. If it truly is coming in 2036, thats in most ALL of our lifetimes and definately the youngsters nowadays. This is something that needs to be assessed NOW as it will happen sooner or later.
Cheers.

-Z-

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MockedUnicorn
Here's a plan:

Lets get a team of astronauts up there with a bomb and land on the Asteroid. Then, Have the guy from Die Hard to blow it up.

It worked in the movie....

Utterly impractical. For starters Willis will be way too old by 2036 to destroy any asteroids.

I'm all in favour of shooting him into space though, but that's an unrelated project.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

well we could clone willis so that he would be young enough to get the job done

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Lmao, sounds practical... hmmm....
Lets just launch bruce willis up there anyway, woohoo!!!
...and elijah wood and justin timberlake.

The world would be a MUCH better place.

-Z-

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
reply to post by unnamedninja

well we could clone willis so that he would be young enough to get the job done

Yeah but we need to make two clones and freeze one of them for the next asteroid.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well, if we're talking about cloning Bruce Willis to save us, lets make 50 copies and send them all out there, you can't be too sure you know?

If we can't get Bruce Willis... Chuck Norris should be able to knock it into a stable orbit with a swift roundhouse kick, and a clever punchline.
"You just got mooned... Punk."

Or better yet, get Admiral Adama to stare at it. The asteroid would quickly evolve emotions and run away in fear of it's life.

I had no idea this asteroid existed. Well, good thing is we know of it now, and we have plenty of time to beat the snot out of it before it gets close.

Maybe we can find a productive use for all those nukes the US has stockpiled... besides destroying the world 15 times over.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Wait...

I just got a better idea.

We should wrap the EARTH in reflective sheeting so the asteroids won't hit us!

Is anybody here a patent attorney because I am gonna be RICH!

MUHAHAHAHHAHAH!!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Just don't outsource it, or it will wind up being polished lead.

Last thing we need is some kid putting the upper atmosphere in it's mouth and getting lead poisoning.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Lmao, you guys are hilarious. The chuck norris line was classic!! "You just got MOONED." Rofl.
When chuck norris does pushups, he doesnt push his body up, he's pushing the world DOWN!!
All feasable ideas scientifically.

-Z-

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Word Gets Around

This appears to be the same article but with a more eye-catching title (i.e., the text is the same):

Asteroid wrap could save the world

Please join the ongoing discussion in that thread.

new topics

top topics

join