It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist: Earths plate tectonics may stop completely.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was originally looking around the internet on Atlantis and i found this completely by chance it says:

The motion, formation, and recycling of Earth’s crust—commonly known as plate tectonics—have long been thought to be continuous processes. But new research by geophysicists suggests that plate tectonic motions have occasionally stopped in Earth’s geologic history, and may do so again. The findings could reshape our understanding of the history and evolution of the Earth’s crust and continents.

sounds quite scary to me if its true lets hope not though.

heres the link to the site where i found the information.

www.whoi.edu...

Thank you.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if all the oil we pump from the earth is affecting how the core maintains itself.

I say that without knowing a thing about it.

Interesting stuff none the less.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Very cool theory.

But, I'm not really sure why you would be afraid of this.

One immediate benefit would be less seismic activity. Moreover, the theory isn't really about permanent cessation of subduction or tectonic movement--at least not in the near term.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Im kinda afraid of it happening because it would mean a cool down in the core of the earth and then the whole earth would cool down ye sure theyre would be no more earthquakes but if it did happen theyre may be no more humans.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Well, I can understand that, but I think he is theorizing that this has already happened many times before.

Maybe I misread something. I'll go back and look.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No i see what you mean maybe notin bad or disastrous would happen if they did stop moving but we dont know since its only happened a few times in history

but lets hope nothing bad happens atall.

thank you.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
if the earth's core cooled down, wouldnt that mean it wouldnt spin as fast as it was before? which would have a multitude of effects....

maybe the earth re-calibrates itself due to land erosion a lack therefor of in other areas...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAThought
I wouldn't be surprised if all the oil we pump from the earth is affecting how the core maintains itself.

I say that without knowing a thing about it.

Interesting stuff none the less.

Thats an interesting theory.
The oil is under so much pressure surely its supporting something?
And if we take it out this would cause some disturbance.
Maybe some of the big earthquakes have been caused by mining and oil and gas extraction.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Im no expert on this though but either way if the earths core cools down that could potentually spell disaster.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Could be the opposite of this theory, heh www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
pole shift anyone? lol

I just dont see the earth as a consistent stagnant entity, I see it as a living breathing being, that will adjust and adapt itself to outside variables when the previous adjustment is no longer suitable.

I mean everything in nature has cycles, Why would the earth be any different, Im sure something will happen soon, since our history has barely any experiences recorded in the past 2,000 years.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
reply to post by loam

Im kinda afraid of it happening because it would mean a cool down in the core of the earth and then the whole earth would cool down ye sure theyre would be no more earthquakes but if it did happen theyre may be no more humans.

The core has no connection with plate tectonics. However, a slow down or temporary cessation of tectonics could slow down the release of heat from the Mantle.

Still, it'll be about another 350 million years before this happens - if indeed it does - (read the article
)

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
Thats an interesting theory.
The oil is under so much pressure surely its supporting something?
And if we take it out this would cause some disturbance.
Maybe some of the big earthquakes have been caused by mining and oil and gas extraction.

The oil is under so much pressure due to the fact that it is over 2 kilometers underground, since there is a significant mass of earth on top the oil would be under significant pressure.
It isn’t supporting anything regarding tectonics or anything to do with the way the earth works physically.

as with the core cooling due to the stopping of tectonic plates, that is also false. The plates are controlled by the actions of the mantle, not the "core" so to speak.

whether the tectonic plates will stop, for whatever reason, i have no idea. personally i don't know why they would. however, even if they did i don't see any immediate threat to us. since they would take a long time to stop as they are controlled by the convection currents in the mantle (thereby discounting the cooling of the "core" being a direct result of the plates stopping, if anything it would be the other way round.)

[edit on 27-8-2008 by funny_pom]

top topics

join