It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS Survival Guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a thread and someone suggested purchasing the book "SAS Survival Guide: How to survive in the wild, in any climate, on land or at sea"

Well, I followed the advice and went ahead and purchased the book from amazon.co.uk.

Just thought I would let you all know that the book is fantastic, it is packed with realistic survival tips & tricks and covers everything from building shelters to first aid.

It's only small so it would make a perfect addition to any survival kit or BOB. I highly recommend it and suggest that everyone buys themself a copy!

Link: www.amazon.co.uk...

Cheers,

[edit on 25/8/08 by Death_Kron]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Glad to hear it mate that books worth more than its weight in gold, I'm studying pages 157-172 at the min to get my shelter building upto scratch

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I have this book too.

It's full of greatness.

A little gem.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Its required reading for the UK Survivalists

As is anything by Ray Mears.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Ray Mears.

ALL HAIL RAY MEARS!

The SAS survival guide is worth its weight in gold. Me? I sliced out the pages I thought would be 'super useful', laminated them and stashed them in me kit.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Erm....
I think it was my old mate John 'Lofty' Wiseman that wrote this.

Lofty's Book

(He was also Lenny Henry's mentor in the Amazon, on the programme 'Out of your depth' on UK tv!)

I could be wrong of course, it was that long ago!

(Edit to add: I like and admire Ray!)

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Ray Mears!

Dan what pages did you take out and laminate??

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon
reply to post by Wotan

Erm....
I think it was my old mate 'Lofty' Wiseman that wrote this.

(He was also Lenny Henry's mentor in the Amazon, on the programme 'Out of your depth' on UK tv!)

I could be wrong of course, it was that long ago!\
H

You are correct on both counts.

The SAS Survival Handbook by John 'Lofty' Wiseman has been around in print since 1986 and is still THE REQUIRED READING.

My copy is the larger handbook from the original print run. He also went on and wrote the SAS Urban Survival Handbook.

I believe as well that he was the instructor for Joanna Lumley when she was 'marooned' on a desert island.

This man should have done more TV in my opinion. He is Legend.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Thanks Wotan, I am not as senile as I once thought I was!

He was my senior instructor (in an other life - if you get my meaning!)

Legend - yup!

Havalon.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Making fishing hooks, shelter building and fire craft. Reason? well, those who can do may be away from camp for a while at times and those left behind need learning resources.

Like a mini 'can do' library if you like.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Thats actually a really good idea Dan regarding laminating important/useful pages!

Me, I'll probably just take the whole book with me but it does make sense that you good leave important pages with other member of camp to refer to.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Paper gets wet dude and fades over time when exposed to air.

Me? im all for knowledge, and being able to pass on such advice as this via a format that will be durable in my eyes is the best we can do for our next generation if the SHTF.

Knowledge will be hard to come by, as most cities will be way, way off limits to all but the most viscious and determined.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I agree that is a very good idea, it makes sense that everyone in the group should learn at least the basics of looking after themselves. Laminating them is definetley the best way of preserving the knowledge.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
On a similar note, I found some Survival Playing Cards on e-bay yesterday. Trouble is, they were from a US seller. Does anyone know of a UK Seller of these?

[edit on 25/8/08 by Wotan]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Looks like your not the only one with this idea Dan, apparently they now have a Zip-up Camouflage edition with built in compass!

Link: www.whsmith.co.uk...

[edit on 26/8/08 by Death_Kron]

[edit on 26/8/08 by Death_Kron]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
We use the SAS Survival Guide as references for the Canadian Cadet Movement's Survival Training.

top topics

join