It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you cook tonight??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I hope for all the professional chefs, home chefs, and cooks would be willing to start a bit of a recipe share here. Give us an idea of what you cooked and what was it like?

Tonight I made up a wonderful sampler for my guests.

Lemon Pepper Shrimp

1 pound of uncooked shrimp
Juice from 2 limes
3-4 dashes of sea salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper

Basically I got a wok and squeezed all the juice out of two limes that I could. Then I placed the shrimp inside and cooked on a medium heat constantly keeping the shrimp moving. I placed the salt and pepper in and kept it all moving assuring adequate coverage of the dry ingredients.

Gin Cooked Ahi Tuna Steaks and Scallops Combo

Half pound small scallops
Two Ahi Tuna Steaks about 1 to 1.5 inches wide
1 to 1.5 cups of dry Gin
1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
half teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
5-10 pinches of mediterranean sea salt/spice mixture (depending on taste)
teaspoon of ground dried Cumin

Take all the ingredients and put them in a frying pan of around 1.5 inches high. Heat them on low and assure the gin and oil mix a bit. Place both steaks in so that the top of the steaks are NOT covered by the liquid. (you may have to play with the levels of gin/oil to assure this remains uncovered) Cook on medium heat and let the tuna steaks sear on the bottom while the liquid mixture heats the tuna thoroughly. When you begin this, take the top of the steak and sprinkle a dask of cumin, mediterranean spice, and black pepper on the top and let it sit. Try not to let the liquid wash the dry mixture off the top of the tuna steaks. After about 5-7 minutes of a little boil, flip the steaks and place the dry cumin, pepper, and spice on top again. At this point, place the scallops in any remaining space left in the pan. Use a meat thermometer and get about 125-135 degrees in the center of the tuna. It should be clearly white throughout. Use the liquid to wash off the dry ingredients on top then slice then into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips.

Lay the tuna strips out on the plate then place the scallops along side the strips. Place the Lime-Pepper Shrimp on the other side. You could seperate with a good white rice but I like to use a dirty rice with a dash of pepper and cumin over the top. I also recommend (for those of age) to use a white wine like a drier Reisling to accompany the bit of spice in this meal.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to yours!

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I cooked, steak and kindey pie, beans and wadges

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
You want me to post a recipe of what I cooked to eat? Woah, that's getting a little advanced for me then.

I'm forty years old and spent the last 15 years eating healthy fast food (If there is such a thing.)

I'm trying to cook more often, but I'm just clueless to it.

Thank God For "Mrs. Dash" If I new who she was I'd fall in love!

It's amazing how little people eat also. So many people eat like parakeets and call it a full meal. They are not on a diet they just are used to eating so little I guess. It doesn't even have anything to do with their financial status either.

I had three big plump boneless chicken breast with extra spicy Mrs. Dash sprinkled on top before frying. Towards the end I squirt lemon juice on it and turn up the heat to brown.

That with a bag of steamed mixed veggies and I'm good to go!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hey let me say I think anyone that cooks is a friend of me. I don't think because I do it professionally that I am ANY better than anyon else. I still have alot to learn and I am no head chef. If I burn myself, cut myself, or drop one more patty I might quit :-p

Even thrown together meals are lovely. I just wanted to hear it all.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Tonight I made biscuits so I'll post this lurvly Scottish recipe its very simple to make, other people might make it differently but this is my method...

How to make Shortbread.

First you need

6 oz self raising flour
4 oz butter
4 oz sugar

Place all the ingredients into a bix mixing dish and "rub" the butter into the flour and sugar, when its nicely mixed it will take on a yellowish crumbly appearance.

Now squeeze the mixture into a large ball, if the right proportions of ingredients were used this should be fairly easy.

Once in a ball lay on a flat surface (dont forget to add flour to the surface) and use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circular shape about 0.5-0.75 inches thick.

Now stick it in a greased baking tray, stab it evenly with a fork a few times and whack it in the oven at 190C for 15-20 mins!

After its been in the oven cut it into fingers and let it cool for about 30 mins.

There you have it! Very easy to make and it tastes fantastic.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm sure there is a title for what I made, but I don't know what it is.

I took four balls of bread dough and rolled each one out until they were about the thickness of pie crust.

I diced lettuce, leeks, and broccoli and mixed them all together. Browned ground beef and added minced garlic in when the meat was cooked and drained.

Put about a handful of the lettuce mixture, the beef mixture and cheese onto each dough circle and folded the dough over. Brushed beat eggs over the top and lightly sprinkled parmesan cheese over the top. Baked at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Delicious!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I made a thai beef salad. My husband is a very finicky eater to the point that there hasn't been a 'tv dinner' or 'burger takeouts' in our house for years. this is from my secret stash of all time favorite recipes... very easy to make:

Ingredients
500 g lean beef steaks - thinly sliced into strips
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic

SALAD DRESSING
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce or sugar, to sweeten
2 tablespoons chopped coriander

SALAD
shredded lettuce, of your choice
1/2 diced red onion (any salad ingredients you desire)

RECIPE
Combine soy and garlic and marinate steak for at least 3 hours.
Combine salad ingredients in two separate bowls.
Combine dressing ingredients together, mix well, and put aside.
Cook beef on grill or in pan until cooked to desired level.
Slice steak into strips and place on top of salad.
Drizzle over dressing.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I made my cornbeef leftovers into a soup. Twas super yummy. I doubled the broth that was left with some beef broth. Chopped up the left over cornbeef and potatoes threw them in with the left over carrots. Carmalized some red onion, and tossed it in the pot as well. Served it with beer bread. ( 3C flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 1.2 tsp salt, 1/3 C sugar, 2 handfulls shreaded cheese - mix - add one can beer - mix - pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan top with 3tbsp melted butter - bake 350 for 1hr. )

Was very yummy. Have leftovers for lunch too.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Last night..
2 roast chickens (big family)
Diced and roasted potatoes w/ onions and spices
Stove top stuffing

Tonight..Lazy night..
PIZZA

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
hmmm those recipes sound delicious! Too bad i hate to cook and am not very good at it. Thank heavens for sandwiches and spaghetti otherwise I would starve.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Tonight we had steak and salad.

Nothing fancy but it was yummy.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
My homemade chili, which I make in 2 batches because I have 2 kids that are allergic to kidney beans.
I slow cook it in the oven too..all day.
PERFECTION!
Served with home made biscuits.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I've never had chilli. Is it easy to make? And what sort of biscuits do you have with it?

(Would you be willing to share your recipe???)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Made it last night, but as I get off work before my wife most days, I tend to cook more...

I just call it chicken and broccoli, but here it is:

Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts
2 cans chicken gravy
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 bag frozen steamer broccoli flourettes
1 onion
1 pk sliced mushrooms
1 bag of wide egg noodles

Combine the gravy and soup in a large pot, get to under a boil, then put on low...(canned gravy by itself isn't the greatest, but amazingly, the addition of the soup makes it very yummy...don't know why)

While this is going on, cut the chicken and onion (use about half of a small onion), then sautee the chicken, onion, and mushrooms...at the same time, put the steamer broccoli in the microwave

Combine the sauteed chicken, onions, broccoli, and mushrooms with the gravy/soup mix and let it simmer...

Boil the egg noodles, cook for about 6 min, then drain and butter the noodles.

Serve the mix over the noodles.

Pretty quick (less than a half hour total time to make), pretty tasty, pretty cheap, and gives you some leftovers to take to lunch the next day...

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have chocolate bread in the oven! I got the recipe from NPR-
www.npr.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I cooked Curry Chicken and Potatoes and made white rice. I had leftover dahl that we ate with it.

top topics

join