It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: Global Warming On The Big Screen May 28 In "The Day After Tomorrow"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You have read the recent news about global warming, and how the Pentagon has written a report on the effects of global warming. Now, you can see the movie! The Day After Tomorrow takes all of the recent climate warnings we have been hearing, and puts them on the big screen. The movie, written and directed by Roland Emmerich, makes its mark by giving us a movie that is not just apocalyptic, but possibly realistic.

thedayaftertomorrow.com
In Independence Day Roland Emmerich brought you the near destruction of the earth by aliens. Now, in The Day After Tomorrow the enemy is an even more devastating force: nature itself. Tornadoes rip Las Angeles; a massive snow storm pounds New Delhi; hail the size of grapefruit batters Tokyo; and in New York City, the temperature swings from sweltering to freezing in one day. In this special-effects packed, highly anticipated event motion picture, an abrupt climate change has cataclysmic consequences for the entire planet.

What makes The Day After Tomorrow different from other movies, is the recent headlines that have been shouting the theme of the movie. Global Warming is going to catch up with us and take everyone by surprise. You should definitely take a moment to visit their website. (thedayaftertomorrow.com) After you watch the trailer, visit the sections on future predictions, and follow links to research data. This movie sells itself as a solidly researched, almost factual event of the future. Of course this isn�t a documentary, and there will be action and characters to follow during the film, but the film should leave viewers running home to the Internet to try to find out the truth. And the scary thing is, it just might be the truth.

Related Links:
The Pentagon�s Weather Nightmare
Extreme Weather On The Rise

ATS NEWS:
NEWS: Leaked Pentagon report warns climate change may bring famine, war.

ATS Discussions:
Global Warming is real

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by dbates]

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by dbates]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Remember: It's just a movie.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outland
Remember: It's just a movie.

That's what "they" want you to believe.

It looks interesting either way. I remember when Deep Impact came out. (Asteroid slams into ocean....buries New York in water) I think that was somewhat of a realistic movie as well. Except for the part where MSNBC is the worlds most trusted news.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'd have to agree that this is the "Deep Impact" of Ice Age movies. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the first trailers actually.

Hopefully MSNBC isn't nearly so prominent there.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I so want to see that movie.

It looks awesome. Can't wait.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Mmmmm disaster movies, looks good.

I wonder if there will be any postapocalyptic biker gangs ala Mad Max

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Looks like one of those good but "wish I hadn't seen it" movies.
Maybe the UK Governments Chief Scientist has seen it.

Why Antarctica will soon be the only place to live - literally
By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
02 May 2004

Antarctica is likely to be the world's only habitable continent by the end of this century if global warming remains unchecked, the Government's chief scientist, Professor Sir David King, said last week.

He said the Earth was entering the "first hot period" for 60 million years, when there was no ice on the planet and "the rest of the globe could not sustain human life". The warning - one of the starkest delivered by a top scientist - comes as ministers decide next week whether to weaken measures to cut the pollution that causes climate change, even though Tony Blair last week described the situation as "very, very critical indeed".

The Prime Minister - who was launching a new alliance of governments, businesses and pressure groups to tackle global warming - added that he could not think of "any bigger long-term question facing the world community".

Yet the Government is considering relaxing limits on emissions by industry under an EU scheme on Tuesday.

Sir David said that levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere - the main "green- house gas" causing climate change - were already 50 per cent higher than at any time in the past 420,000 years. The last time they were at this level - 379 parts per million - was 60 million years ago during a rapid period of global warming, he said. Levels soared to 1,000 parts per million, causing a massive reduction of life.

"No ice was left on Earth. Antarctica was the best place for mammals to live, and the rest of the world would not sustain human life," he said.

Sir David warned that if the world did not curb its burning of fossil fuels "we will reach that level by 2100".

zero lift (rushes out to buy boat)

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

...The last time they were at this level - 379 parts per million - was 60 million years ago during a rapid period of global warming, he said. Levels soared to 1,000 parts per million, causing a massive reduction of life.

"No ice was left on Earth. Antarctica was the best place for mammals to live, and the rest of the world would not sustain human life," he said.

Someone needs to tell Sir David that 60M years ago was shortly after the comet or meteor fell (during the Paleocene era) in what is now the Gulf of Mexico... the event that allegedly killed off the dinosaurs. Even so, animal & plant life persisted on the various continents which have drifted considerably since.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I can't wait to see this movie! It is based on a book called "The Coming Global Superstorm" written by Art Bell, who is the weekend host for "Coast To Coast" - a talk radio show that deals in many paranormal subjects, Government conspiacies... in fact many of the topics here, are dicussed on Coast. His co-author is Whitley Streiber, who is the author of "Communion" (a book about him being an alien abductee and the events that took place) plus several other books. When the book was released, it was laughed at by the scientific community and just about every other "expert" on the weather, that you can think of.
Not having seen the movie yet, I don't know how detailed the similarities to the book are. But I do know that many of the events in the movie that occured in different areas on the planet, are exactly what is in the book. Because I listen to Art Bell on Coast, I've heard alot about the movie from day 1. I read the book over a year ago and it made alot of sense... Now its a movie. Wow!
If anyone is interested in listening to Art on Coast to Coast, the show is syndicated world-wide and there are numerous stream links to pick it up on the internet. There is also a website: [url=http://www.coasttocoast.com].

KittyPress

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
kittypress,

Since January 1, 2003. George Noory took over the reins as host from retiring Art Bell. Art only guest-hosts now and then.

The correct URL is www.coasttocoastam.com

I almost thought your post was a shameless plug by someone of the Coast To Coast staff until I saw the errors.

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Outland]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

kittypress,

Since January 1, 2003. George Noory took over the reins as host from retiring Art Bell. Art only guest-hosts now and then.

The correct URL is www.coasttocoastam.com
[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Outland]

Hi Outland. Yes, I know Art retired. But he is back as the regular weekend host fot the show. He's on every Sat.
and Sun. And he 's been keeping the listeners updated on the movie and the reactions to it from NASA, Bush Admin., etc. He won't be doing the show this coming weekend because he's been invited to the Premier Showing in N.Y. Thanks for correcting my mistake in the URL.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Remember.. it's just a movie.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I work at a movie theater. The date here is wrong. The movie is coming out on MAY 28th to theaters EVERYWHERE.

I just wanted to get that out... before people get confused.

Thats all.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Remember.. it's just a movie.

That is based on some scientific facts. People shouldn't ignore this movie even though how they portray the next ice age is a bit fast and dramatic(for the movie going audiance) one should remember that somthing like this HAS happend in the past. How do you explain a wooley mammoth getting frozen in a icecap STANDING UP?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
More correctly, it's based on few scientific facts, some climate theory and much exagerated drama for entertainment purposes.

I say "some climate theory" because much of what is being bandied about in the way of future climate predictions, based partially on faulty climate modeling, is only theory. It can't be "fact" until it's proven. And so far, the models can't predict an accurate climate scenario one month in advance for small regions let alone 100 years out on a global scale.

Yes, it's quite possible that the last ice age may have appeared in some regions quite suddenly and it is very possible that tens of feet of snow and ice were dumped on some areas in only a matter of hours. It may have happened numerous times in the past and our poor mamath friend was an unfortunate victim. As I recall, it still had partially chewed vegetation in it's mouth.

My point, however, is that the movie's hype and exaggerated drama will only serve to put undue fear in the minds of those who only believe what they see in the lamestream media based on the claims that "the sky is falling" made by the Incompetent Puppets on Climate Chaos.

The sky is not falling yet. For now, enjoy the ride in your SUV on your way to the theatre.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Outland]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
I work at a movie theater. The date here is wrong. The movie is coming out on MAY 28th to theaters EVERYWHERE.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

Thanks for pointing that out prophetmike. I first posted this back in March, and the date was the 23 back then. I guess they needed more time for distribution or something. I checked out their website again and sure enough it's the 28th now.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike

I just wanted to get that out... before people get confused.

Thats all.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

Yes, the show is being released to the public on May 28th. What I was refering to in my previous post was a private showing that Art Bell was invited to, by the director of the movie. That will be this weekend in New York City.

KittyPress

[Edited on 05/11/04 by kittypress]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
See this excellent program on The Discovery Channel: dhd.discovery.com...
More science fact than fiction.
We should have been putting curbs on emissions 20-30 years ago, it is probably too late now to reverse the effects of greenhouse gas accumulation, at least in the short(25 yr.) term.

So much for Dubya's claim that Global Warming is just "Fuzzy Science."

Start looking for beach-front property in the new coastal regions in The Rockies and Appalachians.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Without acknowledging the incongruity, Nature�s editors include in their April 8, 2004, edition an article that relies on climate models to forecast certain elimination of Greenland�s ice-sheet a thousand years from now and another in which climate scientists say climate models applied at the regional level are not yet able �to predict what will happen in the next 20 years.�

Article

NASA�s James Hansen widely is credited as �the father� of the global warming issue because of his 1988 congressional testimony concerning his detection of a human influence on world climate. His work with a General Circulation Model developed at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies led him to that conclusion, just as GCMs subsequently led others to the offer up �scary scenarios� of our climate future. It is remarkable, then, when Hansen writes in the March 2004 edition of Scientific American that the climate change scenarios put forth in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change�s (IPCC) 2001 Third Assessment Report �may be unduly pessimistic� and that the IPCC extreme scenarios are �implausible.�

Article

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kittypress

[Edited on 05/11/04 by kittypress]

I got this from an article in Nat'l Geographic:

Day After Tomorrow Movie: Could Ice Age Occur Overnight?

Stefan Lovgren in Los Angeles
for National Geographic News
May 18, 2004

It may just be a movie. But to environmentalists, there is more than a kernel of truth in the catastrophic scenarios depicted in the upcoming summer flick The Day After Tomorrow. Some activists hope the special effects blockbuster, in which global warming leads to a new ice age, will spark debate about environmental damage.
The film's director, German-born Roland Emmerich�the man behind such popcorn fare as Independence Day and Godzilla�welcomes the debate.

"It is a movie that should not just entertain but also make people think," Emmerich said in a telephone interview. "It is not just science fiction but something that is very real."

Global Superstorm

Emmerich, whose first movie in Germany was about a weather experiment gone awry, got the idea for The Day After Tomorrow from the book The Coming Global Superstorm, written by paranormal experts Art Bell and Whitley Strieber. As the title suggests, the book warns of a doomsday scenario similar to the one in Emmerich's movie.

"It read like science fiction � and I quickly realized it would make for a great movie," Emmerich said. "I began researching � and found the underlying science pretty real."

To read the entire article:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

KittyPress

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join