It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A star set in ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
A star set in ice

Astronomers have spotted a disk of dust and ice ringing a young Sun-like star 165 light years away. The icy signature of the disk and the collisions between bodies inferred to be taking place there suggest it is similar to the Sun's Kuiper belt, a disk of small icy bodies that extends beyond Neptune.
"The key new word is icy," says Christine Chen, an astronomer at Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, Maryland and lead author of the new study. "This is the first time there's evidence for water ice around a main sequence star."

I am guessing we now have a new indicator to look for in the search for life supporting planets. Have a K.Belt type ring does not conclusively indicate life, but in the case of this one with water ice it offers a good chance. Especially with all the huge collisions they have noted. If our water is said to have come from a comet storm these collisions would certainly cause one to bombard an inner planet.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I think the fact that they were able to identify the ice is more significant the the discovery itself. Water ice and vapor has been found just about everywhere we bother to look, even in interstellar space, so this isn't really a surprise. Even that it exists as a disc surrounding a star isn't too surprising.

What is cool about this is that is shows astronomy is sharpening its tools more and more.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You are absolutely correct. I am astounded every day with the new techniques and advances in our astrological technology, but it is these advancements that are helping us learn more about what is out there.
Sure the chances of these rings being common is quite feasible, but from what I can tell this is the first time we have actually “seen” a K.Belt type ring and have determined (to the best of our abilities) its make up.

New tech and new finds do go hand in hand. I personally feel we should be equally excited about both sides of this coin.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Nice Article, thanks for sharing. If I read the article right, the scientists leave some room for misjudgement. But a nice discovery anyway. maybe it will be identified as ice a 100% sure, but I don't belive this will be anytime soon.

So if it's all true, water (ice) isn't that special in galaxies after all.

new topics

top topics

join