It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming time bomb trapped in Arctic soil: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Climate change could release unexpectedly huge stores of carbon dioxide from Arctic soils, which would in turn fuel a vicious circle of global warming, a new study warned Sunday.

For me this is another scientific announcement that proves that global warming is a natural event, and we are close to seeing the earth change yet another time, as it has before and will again.

Link: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just in case that isn't enough to make you think there's this:

At top of Greenland, new worrisome cracks in ice

Link: news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AkVDn4rorvnuAUzJxbGmmynQOrgF

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

This sucks. A rapid warmup will be devestating to human populations and ecosystems all over. It would be advantagous for us to clean up, and quick.

Quick story: Jalopy the name comes from Jalpa, Mexico. Henry Ford had car parts shipped in containers that he reused for the floorboards, these same floorboards were marked with "Jalpa".

Waste is bad business.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Oh well, I guess people will always have a hard time understanding that carbon emissions benefit the enviroment moreso than harm it.
Plants need carbons from the air to grow, by extracting the stored carbons from millions of years ago, we are recycling those carbons so that more plants and growth can benefit from them. More plants means more wildlife, more crops, more natural sources of food for mankind.

It is healthy for the enviroment to create carbon emissions, more growth means this "large" human population can continue growing and sustain itself.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

It does suck. We should prepare for a new way of living, I believe that a major earth change is just on the brink, within the next 5 years, maybe this earth change is what the Mayans were talking about, the earth cleanses herself ever so often, we already know this, but we also know that at times there are survivors who inherit her. The dinasours were not thinkers like us, we can do something to save what we can, but we have to act.

BTW, cool snippet on Henry Ford
I live near Berry College, where you can go and see some of the first off the line Ford cars and trucks ever made! Apparently Henry had a thing for Martha Berry, the founder of the college. Of course the history books make it all sound like it was platonic, but local history tells a different story. He gave her the first of every line of vehicle he produced back then, and the well preserved cars are still there. I go there about 3-4 times a year, beautiful gardens, it is the worlds largest college campus.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

so you don't think that these emmisions could throw us into rapid warming?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Clearly the solution is to tax the polar bears. Bunch of freeloaders...

I'm skeptical as to everything related to the new buzzword, climate change. We need to drop the bullcrap, and focus on the true problem: corporate pollution and suppression of technology.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I agree with that, and also the fact that capitalism has turned into Corporatism.

No longer may the best man win, but the Biggest company crush its Rivals.

No one wants new tech to come out " free of charge " even if it was to benefit mankind, has to have a price tag on it. " nothing is free huh " I could of swore my ground didnt ask me for rent, that my landlord did, an that the flowers dont ask for money to cure you, Corporations do. Onward an onward. This is how we fall.

Divided we stand United we Owe.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

Climate change could release unexpectedly huge stores of carbon dioxide from Arctic soils, which would in turn fuel a vicious circle of global warming, a new study warned Sunday.

hahahaha and yet they don't say this about the huge stores of CO2 they release in the millions of tonnes when they build supermassive wind farms on peat soil ground and dig it up releasing CO2...

Oh no, thats not on.

They want it both ways, and it makes me sick. The suns getting hotter, the solar system is warming up, and yet 'naughty car drivers and BBQ burners' are going to cause mankinds extinction.

They not so bothered about the CO2 'FOOTPRINT' of their bastard wars are they? oh no, because that gets them oil

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If we are going into more "global warming" then how come I am based it the southeast with a bunch of critters who started growing winter coats a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it has to do with no sunspots causing less radiation from the sun.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Crim enlighten me, what do you mean about the critters? Not something I have heard about?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

First off, it's certainly just a natural phase the Earth is going through like it always does. We are supposed to be getting out of a micro-ice-age recently from about 200 or 300 years ago.
A few years ago, before all of this hype about global warming went into overdrive, a little while after the Kyoto Protocols were brought together and agreed upon; a petition by over 25,000 American scientists was brought together disproving global warming. This petition was put together before these internet petition websites were up and running. Another version of the petition included foreign signatures up to 32,000 signers total.
Experts signed it, unlike all of this hype about the gloom and doom being put up by the MEDIA and POLITICIANS, not the experts.

And on the original article about the region around Northern Alaska, it's warming up there inevitably because there is an underwater volcano heating up the water there and not global warming like they claim.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

What the thousands of scientist's signed was not denying that global warming is taking place, but they are saying that MAN is not the cause of it, they do however agree that the emmisions may be good for earth.

link: www.telegraph.co.uk...

"There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of ... greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the forseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments."

But then you have scientist's who say this:

New projections of global warming indicate it might be even slightly worse than originally foreseen. Previously, scientists expected an average planetary temperature rise of 1.4 to 6.3 degrees Fahrenheit over the next 100 years. Now they're looking at a rise of 2.3 to 7.2 degrees, says Tom Wigley, a climatologist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder.

Link: www.sfgate.com.../examiner/archive/1999/07/19/NEWS7965.dtl

So I guess we have to decide by what we see happening around us, and hope that when Greenland melts, the Arctic melts, and weather increasinly goes crazy, we will have the knowledge and abiltiy to deal with the consequences. Maybe we should just name it something else, the words global warming and climate change bring up much debate. Earth Changes is good, because that is what I see it is doing.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I mean I have a bunch of eqines growing their winter coats in August! Weird

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Here's something worse than Co2. Methan gas. It's twenty times more efficient than carbon dioxide in trapping solar heat...

Confirmed: Siberian methane oozing up

Methane gas oozing up from Siberian seabed: Swedish researcher

[---]

The Swedish team had better instruments than earlier Russian researchers whose findings were mostly ignored.

Oy...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Your right Hellmutt, that does sound quite deadly. Man, I guess this old earth is just burping up all it's poisins

new topics

top topics

join