It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Rights Not So Right in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So, the Olympics instead of being a beacon for Human Rights, has possibly created a worsening condition.

Human Rights in China Worse Since Olympics Started, Experts Say
Friday, August 22, 2008
By Josiah Ryan, Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) - The Communist Chinese government has restricted freedom of speech more than usual and arrested many protesters since the start of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, an expert and a member of a human rights organizations told CNSNews.com on Thursday.

John Ray, a correspondent for Britain's Independent Television News, reported that he was dragged off by Chinese authorities while trying to a photograph a “Free Tibet” protest near the Olympic park in Beijing last week.

Ray later escaped, but the fate of other protesters who were arrested remains unknown.
Experts told CNSNews.com that that Ray’s experience was only an example of the kind of suppression that has occurred in China during the Olympic Games.

“Beijing has been put under very strict supervision,” said Tkacik. “The Olympics has been a real set back for any freedom of expression speech and assembly in Beijing.”

Full Article

I guess if you restrict human rights as a matter of policy, the last thing you want is for the Olympics to "Show it to the world"...

Semper

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

You are going to unleash the wrath of the Chinese Agents on ATS ..

"Your media lies to you"
"Chinese people love the government"
"Surveys say Chinese people happier then Americans!"
"China does nothing wrong, America does all the bad things in the world"
"You can't prove it!"

Prepare to answer many posts like that from the Chinese Agents.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was discussing with a friend how the location of the games had led me to taking a lot less interest then usual . Usually I get really into the Olympics but this time around I have been reminded of the 1936 Olympics in Berlin . John Ray being detained without charge is a small but important glimpse into what I regard as the real China . Still just as in 1936 people will always see and hear what they want rather then accepted the reality of the situation .

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
ioc officials say this olympics is the most successful olympics ever.and i really doubt there are any agents here,can you name some,if you call anybody who like to defend their own countries agent,then you probably would get more than 1 billion"agents"in china.i see most chinese forum users share similiar opinions,just like most americans share their opinions similiarly.i noticed there are a few chinese people here,they are better than me i have to admit.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I guess if you restrict human rights as a matter of policy, the last thing you want is for the Olympics to "Show it to the world"...

In addition to the items you cited, they shut down all Churches for 90 days, surrounding the Olympics:

www.worldnetdaily.com...

Churches ordered closed during Olympics

Pastors forced to sign agreements not to meet for 90 days
An organization founded by a man who escaped from China after being persecuted for his Christian faith says it has uncovered a secret Chinese government document demanding that churches shut their doors for 90 days around the Beijing Olympics.

"Should church members violate these rules they will be subject to the disciplinary actions of the Chinese government," said the report from China Aid Association, an organization dedicated to helping persecuted Christians.

"Pastors were forced to sign a written agreement that they would not participate in religious services while the Olympic Games are taking place in China," the organization said.

China Aid said the document, drafted by Chinese government officials, specifies that the house churches in China "refrain from organizing and joining illegal gatherings and refrain from receiving donations, sermons and preaching from overseas religious organizations and groups that have a purpose."

top topics

join