It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War Resister Sentenced To 15 Months

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Fak Canada, I'm Canadian and ashamed.......

Our "Country" is bought and paid for from at least the day I was born on her land. Our resources signed and sold to Mother America and other foreign nations. We are basically slaves the day we are born.

Anyone here received a bill for anything, and your names is fully CAPITALIZED.....ex why not John Doe instead of JOHN DOE...
If you don't understand why check this site
www.natural-person.ca... that website will explain why from a Canadian citizens standpoint.

Sad thing is this Soldier ran to a country that's been bought and paid for and you can't escape that.

The only thing he should of been doing is advocating hugely on why and how this war is wrong if he choose to ran. Not just run and hide.......perhaps he was.

I'd love to see forces of the military unite and citizens arrest the criminals in your white house and corporations. Talk about being a true soldier and protecting the people. Us the people who have been lied, cheated, suppressed and treated unjustly. They suppress technologies and science from us. Buy out patents that would reshape the way we live and bring fourth a more harmonic way of living.

Sorry for the off topic rant. It's just saddening the state of affairs this world is in. All because of secrets, lies, power, and men with tiny dicks.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I like how you call him a "resistor" when hes actually a coward traitor. He signed up to fight and than decided he didn't have the balls to do it.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
reply to post by SectionEight

I'm sure alot of people will care,mostly the family of the 200 people

You might say it's only 200 but they are the 200 that had the balls to stand up and say this is wrong and i'm not going,i wish them all luck in the quest for freedom.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by duffster]

Considering the facts here this guy had no call to desert..

1. There is no Draft like during Viet Nam
2. It is a completely Volunteer military

UCMJ Article 99 Misbehavior before the enemy

Desertion Definition = (For this case)
Running away. “Running away” means an unauthorized departure to avoid actual or impending combat. It need not, however, be the result of fear, and there is no requirement that the accused literally run.

Article 85 Desertion

Any member of the armed forces who—
without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

If you really want out of the military so badly there are plenty of ways to do it and even get a honourable discharge. Running off though is not the answer.

I for one think anyone who goes this route is a lowlife.. But hey thats me.. I imagine these type of people would garner sympathy from that certain percentage of the population who care nothing about Honor and holding up to your obligations.

And finally It doesn't take balls to run off to Canada.. It takes balls to stay and tell your CO (Commanding officer) that your not going to do whatever your ordered to. These people seriusly don't have "Balls" Running from a issue is not the definition of Courage.

If anything he would have had BALLS to stick around and refuse a order he felt was unjust. But no.. These people CHOSE to desert..

Originally posted by Dronetek

I like how you call him a "resistor" when hes actually a coward traitor. He signed up to fight and than decided he didn't have the balls to do it.

I agree ^.. Resistor is such a .. idiotic choice of words for this situation.

Edit..

And one more thing before some of the sheep here baaa at me.. I Understand and even agree with the fact that our military involvement is totaly stupid and we should not have ever gone into IRAQ or Afghanistan. And that we should get the hell out of said countries..

Our Men in Uniform have done their jobs they should be brought home asap. Not left rotting in a hostile country.. We got rid of Saddam.. Why the hell are we still there? (pardon the rhetorical question)

That said..... It still doesn't excuse the deserters of their actions

[edit on 25-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
These men who signed up for the army expected only to be used as means of defense against an aggressor, not to partake into an illegal war where a nation is attacked for no reason other than to increase the coffers of the military-industrial-oil complex.

Afghans and Iraqis and not even the Iranians 'did' 9-11. GWB and his crew did.

These men who signed up for the American army probably expected to go up against the Janjaweed for killing Sudanese, for example, and ended up being regime change tools for the military-industrial complex.

Isn't that essentially a breach of contract by the miltary-industrial complex, who are the real rulers of America?

It's not surprising only about 200 deserted to Canada. Canada (The US-backed Conservative Government) made it clear they had no intention of granting these resistors asylum.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree completely, 100% with DD on this one.

What if while enlisted in the army and deployed, one sees beyond the brainless barbarian brainwashing and actually sees things for what they are? All lies for profit.

It is called "blind patriotism" when one takes everything told to them by their government without question. An openminded person should continue still, to be open to possibility that there might be more to this world than they already know.
-Is this NOT why many of us here are "Conspiracy theorists" ??

I can understand why harsh punishment must be given to someone who refuses to fulfill their contract. It is the same as an employer for a company. Their responsibility is to make sure the employees show up everyday. Otherwise, the company is rendered useless and unprofitable.

You cannot, in the real world, just ditch your job. Or you lose it, and have nothing but a BAD reference to show for it.

The problem I am seeing so much of lately, is on the MSM news, people are being singled out, painted to be a criminal, and then cheered on by the bloodthirsty 'blind patriots' of the country, while the person receives their punishment.
-This system and blind following, and inability to look past what they are told, makes me think people would be happy to go back in time. Or even to another country's standards of stoning or hanging someone. Just so all of the braindead idiots can get themselves all worked up and loud everytime someone the gov calls a 'criminal' is killed.

This has been on my mind for a bit... Thanks for the article, DD. I think WE, being among the only openminded people in the world, have a responsibility to try and see past what we are told, and find truth. Nobody else has this ability, whether it's too much synthetic crap in their food, fluoride in the water, or whatever it is that makes people unable to look for truth.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by duffster

The balls??? THe only way this person would of had any balls is if he would of been man and defended his country and freedom like all the other MEN and WOMEN in this great FREE country.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Well, there you have it. 15 months of jail time for refusal to fight in the profiteering mongers invasion / occupation...

It sounds like he is at peace with his decision and punishment, based on his demeanor.

I wonder if more comparable sentences are soon to follow for the rest of the "dissenters"?

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

yea but that isnt cool. 15 months in federal prison.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Some people here are having a hard time understanding that you do get a contract when you enlist. It's up to you to ask questions and read the whole [Snip] thing prior to signing.

It's the military. If they don't like it, they can go find out what Mickey D's is putting in the secret sauce.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by asala]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Why sign up for the hockey team if you go to play basketball. He knew what he was in for.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
As much as im against us STILL being in Iraq

to this story i say:Good

He signed the contract. He signed up to be a soldier and he had to know that the possibility of war is always there when you're in the armed forces

If he fled, then he deserves what he gets.

Breech of contract.

Justice has been served.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
......may think he made a heroic decision not to continue engaging in warfare in a war based on BS and Profiteering.

Tell that to the guys in his unit that are sporting Purple Hearts. I think they'll have a different opinion.

Since he was "just" deserting, I think his time ought to be spent at Walter Reed. Maybe working in the wards with guys that were wounded might help adjust his attitude.

ummm, you dont realize that - is the exact reason he probably deserted?

he saw the guys w/purple hearts at Walter Reed and thought "Holy crap that could be me!" then got scared and ran to canada?

how would seeing guys with their legs/arms/faces blown off, going to make you WANT to go into a WAR? ???

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So you dont have a problem with him collecting a free paycheck for yeras - and then when he's called upon to perform what we - the tax payers - pay him for, he wimps out and runs for the border?

Well - in that case - i can only say "Damn i wish i worked for you when i was in high school"

I wouldnt have done a dang thing- and i would've been paid to do it...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Some people here are having a hard time understanding that you do get a contract when you enlist. It's up to you to ask questions and read the whole f**king thing prior to signing.

It's the military. If they don't like it, they can go find out what Mickey D's is putting in the secret sauce.

Nobody is having a hard time understanding anything about contracts. The fact is that everyone in everyday life signs a contract everytime they sign their signature. Contracts are only designed to benefit the signee. They want to enslave you anyway they may. Do you belive slavery should be legal?

Me personally. I have no problem signing a contract or breaking one for that matter. 15 months is a joke and I would laugh at that, if this was the sentence I had to pay for what he did.

My point is that it is funny how they only uphold the laws and hold people accountable when it's convenient or benefits them. It's a hypocritacal double standard and the fact is this still doesn't make this guy a criminal.Do they go out of their way to get justice when they wrong the signer of the contract?

It's just sickening what this country has turned into. It's a cesspool and needs to be flushed.

How come the gov't and state agencies aren't held accountable for the 20-30 million plus illegal invaders and the crimes they committ? We have a supposed "War On Terror" going on and if you are so concerned w/safety,freedom and breach of contracts, you should be writing congress and our corrupt elected officials responsible for the negligence of their duties. This alone is a breach of contract.

If we have a war on terror and there's such intense border security, how come there'e millions of people in this country who were never screened? Everyone of them could be a potential terrorist yet you want to defend "THE CONTRACT". How about the fact that our management has jeapordized safety of every American citizen and the economic infrastructure and future of our children and of this count....ry.

Under the presidential directive NSPD 51, read 2 B. For all the illegals criminals and possible terrorists here destroying the economy for us working middle class and the rest of the economy the (Gov't) themselves destroyed by means of a strategically well implimented business deal between world leaders, he alone could take sole control.

True breach of contract through manipulation

Yet these are the people's honor you are basically defending. These people could care less about you, your loved ones and anyone else in this country.This is the problem. They have all the little civilian people in an uproar over petty infractions to distract you from the same and much more henious crimes they commit on an astronomical level. They know society is so stupid, that if they give them Bull S**t things in everyday live to appease them and make them feel like they have a life, then nobody notices their murderous crimes and breach of contract.

Everybody, it's time to WAKE UP and stop chasing the meaningless void filling fantasies they have you brainwashed into believeing actually matter. Screw them, their contracts and their laws. It's Time To Take Our Country Back!!!!

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.--ABRAHAM LINCOLN

"We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name - liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names - liberty and tyranny."

The Collected Works of ABRAHAM LINCOLN edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Address at Sanitary Fair, Baltimore, Maryland" (April 18, 1864), p. 301-302.

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure.--ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
--Thomas Jefferson

[edit on 25-8-2008 by 19DCW71]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
One humble warrior's opinion:

If anyone is wondering, we can still execute deserters. We just don't cause, well, we're such nice people and all.

Military industrial complex and New World Order aside, the dude signed a contract. A contract that happened to be a felony to violate, and whether anyone believes it should be or not is moot. More importantly, he took a solemn oath at the very moment he enlisted. An oath that thousands of true Americans have lived and died by. He sold that oath and all his buddies up the river when he decided to tuck tail and run north. I may have given the dude some props if he dropped trau and took a crap on the commander's desk while giving some diluted argument on how his sudden realization that he was an objector somehow perfectly coincided with his recieving marching orders. At least he would have had the nuts to take some swings for his "beliefs."

I hear a whole bunch of "I didn't sign up for this" BS. I do a lot of crap I didn't sign up for. Am I rolling down the Folda Gap in a tank killing Russians? No. So pretty much anything I do in the Army that isn't that- I didn't sign up for. I don't even get my tanks in Iraq. Don't hear me whining. Its the free college lottery- maybe you get through your enlistment scott free and get to go straight to college, maybe you spend a few years in an extracurricular overseas course in Arabic culture. God forbid we get a little life experience.

And the question you probably haven't been asking yourselves:
"Do I support the war in Iraq?"
I'm in the Army. It doesn't matter. Do or don't I'm still going to strap on my boots and go to work everyday until it is mutually agreed that my services are no longer required. If I run to Canada, who will watch my wingman's back when we're rolling down Hiafa Street one hot summer night in Baghdad?

"You should love peace as a means to new wars- and the short peace more than the long.... You say it is the good cause that hallows even war? I say unto you: it is the good war that hallows any cause. War and courage have accomplished more great things than love of the neighbor.... What matters long life? What warrior wants to be spared?"
-Nietzsche

Some of us are warriors.... some ain't.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
reply to post by muzzleflash

So you dont have a problem with him collecting a free paycheck for yeras - and then when he's called upon to perform what we - the tax payers - pay him for, he wimps out and runs for the border?

I'm just curious as how you can try to justify this statement. What do you think our elected officials are doing? Taking OUR money and doing whatever they wish. You know, I sure could use an exotic vacation,err, busines trip, for a few weeks w/my mistress, uhm, I mean wife and kids.

Maybe I'll fight some fictituous war on terror, funded by the American taxpayers, so we can make billions off their money. As I have stated, if everyone is truly so concerned w/breaches of contracts and injustices, let's start with the biggest source of it. Our Govt.

And speaking of running for the borders,what are they doing w/all the money going to fund the war on terror. Millions of illegal immigrants and I'll guarantee there are many terrorists who have already infiltrated amongst them.

I know how they'll amend it. Let's call it domestic terrorism and we can take away all their constitutional rights and say were searching for terrorists. If they weren't negligent in their duties (which was an intentional part of the plan) we wouldn't be in this situation. This was a well thought out plan to allow this to happen. I don't know about everyone else but I'm only trying to survive. I just don't understand why people can't see the big picture. It's plain as day if everyone would stop, look and listen.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
there are alot of mixed viewpoints on this..

as an active duty service member, i say not enough.
As an American I am emberassed. This "man" signed the dotted line, he swore it on his life. And it doesn't matter how he felt about the war, because he could have at least supported his team. But instead he ran his chicken ass to canada and hid, meanwhile his unit had to go without him and were short another man in his expertise. There's no telling what difference his presence would have made. He could have saved a few lives for all we know, but that didn't happen.
It doesn't matter if this war is about freedom, what should matter is that your fight for your unit to bring EVERYONE back home alive.
Cowards like this disgust me, and forgive for this, some people praise that, and they are wrong for that. reason being is that because of his absence, other lives are at danger now.
Imagine a team of airplane mechanics, for the crew that handles the jet engines, let's say one of the mechanics just decided to not show up anymore. Unfortunately there's noone to fill in for him and that plane has to get up in an hour. They do the best they can but theres no telling how good their efforts were. Now you board that plane and find out about it. Sure it'll probably take off... but do you feel safe?
I suck at this, the point is that we need every person we can have by our side. And he failed to deliver.

Fifteen months in prison... whatever. I agree that he should be forced to serve at walter reid. This makes me as disgusted as when they only sent John Walker Lynn [i think.. American Taliban guy]. Once upon a time people used to die for crimes.

/need to work on organizing my thoughts
// hope that was clear enough

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 19DCW71

You've pegged it. I tried to join the Marines when I was 17 but I had a diploma. I also had scoliosis but they ignored that. I will swear that criminals being released from prison that claimed they were locked up for refusing to be drafted enjoyed a higher social status than a highly decorated 19year old combat veteran. War starts and ends with lies, and the liars are now the wannabes that claim to be something that they never were. War doesn't do a thing but create tremendous profits for the rich. The poor pay the monetary price and the price in blood. If someone is willing to suffer the price for desertion, that's cool with me, I have no negative feelings. Anyone that claims he was a combatant or Special Forces, Or won a medal for valor when under fire had better check out to be real, or he 's got a problem.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

Well, I guess that's how a Nuremberg defence looks to some people. Frankly, I'm ashamed of the fact that Steve "Bush-Lite" Harper had him thrown back. We should be granting asylum to resistors. Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

ummm, you dont realize that - is the exact reason he probably deserted?

he saw the guys w/purple hearts at Walter Reed and thought "Holy crap that could be me!" then got scared and ran to canada?

how would seeing guys with their legs/arms/faces blown off, going to make you WANT to go into a WAR? ???

And he didn't catch on that this might happen prior to enlisting? WTF, over? What did he think the rifles were for? Decoration?

Lemme guess, he enlisted for the college fund?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join