It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of truants to lose welfare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Terrible idea.

School is not meant for everyone.

Up until the 1980s there used to be two types of schools in Victoria:
High Schools used to progress to Year 12, where students would earn their High School Certificate. Some of those students would progress to University, most would look for professional type of work.
Technical Schools rarely had students progress to Year 12. Many would leave by Year 10 looking for trades, apprenticeships and other forms of work.

All that got abolished by the mid 1980's, as it was suddenly deemed important enough for everyone to go to a High School.

Now, Australia has a labour shortage, with tradesmen in great demand. Our schools have many children who don't want to (and can't) learn by 'traditional' means.

School is not for everyone! There are many students who should start working at 12 or 13 years of age, as they're not capable of functioning in the school system.

Screw COMPULSORY schooling, it's social control and conditioning.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

School is not meant for everyone.

Yeah - we need those illiterate morons in our economy to flourish, right???

I ENJOY a portion of my paycheck going to people who are too stupid to get a decent paying job, because they thought "school was for losers"

Give me a break.

[edit on 8/25/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Tell me how a school system is justified and functional when some Year 12s can not recall their timestables or spell basic words?

What has school done for them, other than institutionalise them from the ages of 12 to 18?

School is not meant for everyone. Children who show early signs of bucking the school system need to have alternate programs. Other forms of work or training.

Give me a break, you don't know how bad the school system is.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

yeah - you're right

i didnt go through the public school system at all

i never saw what dedicated teachers were capable of instead of idiots who depend on tenior

/end sarcasm

Its simple

if you want free money - make your kids go to school

or

don't have kids

either way - i overwhelmingly and enthusiastically agree.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

First of all, this is happening in Australia, not America. (In relation to this thread anyway)
I do fully support this idea, but I see where tezzajw is coming from. Many students are simply not cut out for academic schooling, but as long as there is an alternative (IE Trade school etc) they are still working towards a future of sorts.
I think this particular scheme is aimed more for the younger ones and those not working towards anything at all, which is the part I support wholeheartedly.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I would say that this is a good idea, because it puts some responsibility on the people who are drawing the welfare.

It's like the kid who does chores to get his allowence, instead of having the parents hand him a credit card.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join