It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on ATS and how to make us better...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Having been a member of ATS since Dec of 2004, I have noted and partaken in numerous changes within this website.

One of the adverse thorns that I have been observing in this site, are the sensational headers for threads that appear to be more directed at generating points then actually denying ignorance and allowing the Truth to ring forth in its entirety.

In saying this, I as a dedicated member, cant just throw out an arrow with out the possibility of a solution. Those members who are sincere, please hear my plea. Im looking for a solution that makes this forum shine beyond its current status. A reduction in thread hash, and an increase in valid and well thought out thread content and response.

Therefore, in saying this we must realize the following:

The points system here on ATS is one where thread generation and participation regardless of content seems to promote point values. Whether its noteworthy or not. That a thread of outrageous content or premise can generate more hits then one of solidity. This requires wisdom.
Those point values, to the superficial visitor, denote authority, and perhaps content knowledge when that may not be the case at all. At what point do we differentiate a gossip and hype versus true content and well thought out responses?

We as members, know that point values can be low, based on spending for services provided by ATS, but to the new site visitor or member, that may not be obvious.

In an effort to enhance ATS and its ability to promote the truth and a bastion against ignorance, perhaps we need to deny the number of mere posts, and make it a member based scoring system. A system by witch a thread that is starred puts a point in that members profile and threads that are without merit are left without recognition.

Our avatars and modification to our profile could be done according to attaining a level in member based votes, rather then spending and continual accrual. In other words, a member who hit 1000, would gain the ability to modify their profile, otherwise, up until that point, nothing could be done. Then, you would know those, that are the true veterans of ATS, and those that have worked hard, including the site owners and mods, who labor to keep our content premium.

It is in this manner, that we can use the the conscience of the whole to identify those posts which we as a member community, have mulled over and give credibility to an answer that may in fact be the a better selection for the denial of ignorance.

This thread was inspired by a dream which I had, where ATS had made the front headlines of a newspaper which I held in my hand. The top forum on the internet where others might go to find the facts, an not merely hype. There are many topics here, but lesser so, topics of merit. How do we turn the tide against the churning of threads versus the pursuit of the Truth?

How do we make a better ATS?

IMO, we should change our point systems in a a manner that denies frivolous posts and merits posts of thought as an example of going beyond the standard norm. That the star system becomes the only method of points, and the lack of stars becomes the lack or recognition.

The number of hits a thread gets, still could rank the thread at the top, but there could be a star count that could also be put within the parent forum so we know how many people read the threads and justified giving credit to the posts therein.

Are ATS members noted for their content or by their scores regardless of content?
Is it the number of hyped up threads of controversy, or the presentation of well thought out points that some members here demonstrate.

There are many members here, that read an entire thread, which can be many pages long, and then they spend considerable time formulating their addition or supplement. To them I give a hardy salute and a thank you. Thats why I come here. Not to read threads of garbage. If I wanted that, Id read the Globe or other hype.

A merit based system on member votes only, rather then by the number of hits or responses. Take the churn out of making alot of hoopla.

After all, once the Truth has been spoken, who can come against it?

Something to think about...

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
tell us the TRUTH
are you one of THEM?

(LOL, kididng)

I tink you should have a pm option....

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
More censorship and restrictions?

is not ATS fault we feed the trolls, its our fault, ATS should not start censorship and restrictions just because we feed the trolls.

if you don't like a thread SKIP IT, DON'T FEED IT, there are a lot of good threads out there. [- From new members too-]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stagesamurai
tell us the TRUTH
are you one of THEM?

(LOL, kididng)

I tink you should have a pm option....

In Truth, I have made threads, and after the thread has been formed and realizing its popularity or otherwise, made the acknowledgment that the thread was a point producer.

However, as you can see, I have near 1000 posts, and I spend most of my time in the BTS thread where points really are not a factor. Personally, you could zero out my points at this moment, and the only thing I would miss would be perhaps my u2us which I use sparingly.

Peace

[edit on 24-8-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
How to make ATS better?

I have a few ideas...

Starting threads in the correct forum, using the proper tags for quoted material ([ quote ] for ATS content] and [ ex ] for off ATS content), keeping those quotes to the minimum, always including sources (links) for external content, actually posting member content as opposed to copy & pasta, not using 1337 speak, incorporating the use of a spell check program, capitalization and punctuation, using videos sparingly, posting on topic, posting within the Terms & conditions, and most of all, using the search function.

Posting and you...

My two bananas.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Aside from points, I think it would be intersting if they have teaching videos on how to effectively use this forum.(?) No doubt a contest between members here would also be welcome. Eventually, people who don't follow rules will have to go back to class with these informational videos.
I'm not familiar with RATS but it sounds as if it's a higher level or elite area.

Some threads do merit being cycled and or as favorites by certain members and or moderators rather than lost due to the timing. This might be done in a window on the side that some advertisers use like some other sites, rather than refreshing the page.

I would like to see the last page on the threads when I go to them from anywhere, especially, when they're subscribed on the myATS page.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
HIFI, good thought process going there. I like the simple fact that people who HAVE been here for a bit, do see the decreasing quality in post content.
The points system is a distraction sometimes. I know exactly what you mean about how some look upon it as more points=smarter/moreinformed poster. I've tried my best to ignore my own points since I was a Mod, when points meant nothing. I have a pretty low amount of posts as well (under 2000), but, I attribute that to my method of reading 10X what I post. I don't feel that I have to post to show I have read the thread. My inane thoughts on the topic make no difference unless it can advance the thread and topic and my posts must remain readable, well thought-out and intellegent. You know, posting with class.

Mirthful, your contribution to the thread here shows exactly what would make a Mods job easier (and, in turn, ATS). This is the reason I once proclaimed "I hate being a Mod, and in truth, I wish there wasn't a need for Mods". Average members really have NO idea what you guys have to do to keep this site straight up and down. I've walked the mile, those are some harsh moccosins. I respect you all for the work and sacrifices you make to do it. Bravo!

To the members who read this? I say this. Post like you are talking to your Grandma and your 6-year-old is in the room. I say this because Grandma deserves respect and always says "Remember the Golden Rule".
(For those ignorant of The Golden Rule, it's "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". The hard-core skeptics should start trying that technique. I know of one self-proclaimed "Super Skeptic" that always relies on his ability to demean the poster in his response to the topic. His words are always harsh and rarely does he advance the topic with either evidence for or evidence against the actual topic. But, he never really crosses the line of T&C violation.)

I say think of your 6-year-old kid in the room because maybe that will keep the derision down. The censor circumventing doesn't do anything but make the poster look young and impulsive. Rein it in swearers. Sheesh. There's no actual reason to throw the F-bomb in any post in any topic on ATS that I've read.
So,

-Post with Class. That's my motto. It's made me a better member, I think.
-If the member posts something you disagree with, respond with evidence to the contrary, or, not at all.
-If the member posts something you agree with, respond with evidence that supports the topic, or not at all.
-Address the topic and discuss it. The poster may be wrong, but, he won't be forced-fed anything, including the correct information. Calling the poster a moron or an imbicile doesn't make YOUR argument stronger. It shows ignorance in manners. (Grandma would be ashamed!)

Personal responsibility is the key. Take rein of your reactions. Your actions here describe you. The person typing. Not the avatar you picked to portray you.

Am I wrong?

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CzErased
More censorship and restrictions?

is not ATS fault we feed the trolls, its our fault, ATS should not start censorship and restrictions just because we feed the trolls.

if you don't like a thread SKIP IT, DON'T FEED IT, there are a lot of good threads out there. [- From new members too-]

totally agreed.

The only form of censorship id ask for beyond what exists now (with lude, crude, and vulgar language) would be to censor complaining about other people's threads in and of themselves. You can complain that they violate the T&C, thats fine, but to complain about "this isnt breaking news" about a news story

or

"this is just plain stupid and should be deleted, and your a big fat silly head"

realy gets under my skin.

Get rid of the whining

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I requested and offered to make a how to video for ATS new members. I haven't gotten a response yet.

I think that in fact it is we the membership that can make or break this site. It's up to us to POST the quality content that we wish to see. It's up to each and every one of us.

I always refer to this. It is one of the best posts on the subject. Be the change you wish to see. By neformore.

So if we are the problem perhaps we can also be the solution.

Again, I volunteer to do a how to video about ATS for the new members. I think that this is a Jewel on the Internet. Sometimes that jewel just needs to be shined.

new topics

top topics

join