It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Row over Hindley image in Beijing.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Row over Hindley image in Beijing.

news.sky.com

Controversy has erupted after a video featuring a portrait of Myra Hindley was shown at London House in Beijing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is just breaking on Sky, details are a bit sketchy but it would appear that a promotional video of London has been shown in Beijing, which incorporates a picture of murderer Myra Hyndley.

The picture of Hyndley was on show in the Tate Modern gallery, not sure if it's still there but it was attacked with ink and eggs. Not surprising really, a portrait of a child murderer made from the handprints of kids.......but thats another story.

Why on earth this was included in the promotional video i'll never know? Was it us or China that made the video?

Of all the images from the Tate gallery, they had to pick that one!

Some are saying that it's a mountain out of a molehill, but i guess a comparison would be a promotional video of the US that featured Timothy McVeigh?

I can't see this turning into anything major, but i reckon there will be an interview without biscuits for a certain video producer somewhere.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
First of all BUMP - This is an important topic in my opinion.

The video was made by Visit London....funnily enough, they don't mention it on their website.

Its an absolute disgrace that this image made it onto the finished video. Whoever made that decision should be publicly named and shamed and fired.

On a day where we are actually encouraged (and allowed??) to feel proud of our heritage, someone somewhere pulls a sick stunt like this.

If it does not become a major incident then i, for one will be very disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese had a hand in this, very shrewd.

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Visit London have apparently just released a statement saying that this video has been used numerous times over the past few years and no-one has batted an eyelid, but they will remove it from use if it offends.

They say it was never for public use.

Still, private use can be just as damaging when dealing with nations and trying to get a good image across. I'm sure the arty types will love this one as "art encourages debate" and all that, but theres a time and a place in my opinion.

CX.

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This extract from the updated Sky article.....

In a statement it said: "The video is not for general public use and has been used many times over the last few years to show to the tourism trade.

"There has never been a complaint made about the video up until this point.

"However, if any offence has been caused, we will withdraw it from use with immediate effect."

The painting, made from children's handprints, was vandalised while on display in the Royal Academy in 1997.

Hindley was jailed for life along with her lover Ian Brady for the murders of four children between 1963 and 1964. She died in 2002.

Used to show the tourism trade?
Excellent plan, "Bring your kids to Britain, look at the people we have waiting to greet you!"

Do you think Portugal will be in a rush to include the Maddy case in thier next "Welcome to Portugal" video? I don't think so.

The more i read this story and think about it, the more i am amazed at the stupidity of this decision. I'm betting the person from Visit London who is saying that the reaction is out of proportion....is the same person filling thier pants now waiting for that phonecall telling them that they've been fired.

CX.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Exactly, a TIME and a PLACE and the idiots got it HORRIFICALLY WRONG. Yes, in promoting London, lets use an image of a child killer painted with childrens hand IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE BLEEPING WORLD.

Thank god the rules of this site prohibit swearing because i could say alot of things at the minute.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I know it was just a spit second image, and surely to god they actually check these pieces before they go out, but can I really believe there has never been another complaint about it? Weren't there complaints regarding this a while ago, or was that about the origianl picture of MH? I will have to do some research....

Cait

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Probably the original hanging of the portrait. There was uproar, tons of media attention and the painting was attacked a few times.

Bad enough that it was painted anyway, but i think the fact that it was done whilst the childrens bodies are still buried on the moors makes it all the more weird.

CX.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

The original painting was vandalised in the Royal Academy in 1997. Surely that is the biggest hint that to promote Britain on the world scene we shouldn't be using such controversial images.

Someones head needs to roll for this....there is no excuse. Until this country (and its leader) grows some balls and starts standing up for itself, i will not be happy. We have been made to look like fools on the international scene - does our right hand not know what the left is doing??

Imagine if someone working for the Visit Beijing board put up an image of the Tiananmen Square massacre....what would the Chinese Government do?

I wonder

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder if Adam Batstone happened to be the video editor on duty for that clip.

new topics

top topics

join