It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia said to be massing troops and hardware near South Ossetia border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Georgia said to be massing troops and hardware near South Ossetia border

www.russiatoday.com

Meanwhile, the Georgian side has been gathering its troops and heavy military hardware near the border with South Ossetia.

Irina Gagloyeva, Head of the South Ossetia Committee for Information, said last night that Georgians had fired upon neighbouring villages forcing the local population to leave their houses.

"The area where Georgian troops are concentrated in is situated around 70 km from the capital Tskhinvali. It's a mountainous region where it's hard to operate and there are no Russian peacekeeping troops stationed there," Gagloyeva said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ok the troops are massing on the border, and also a gathering of tanks and other firepower, are they getting ready for another assault?

Not only that, theres the nato war ships that are also in the black sea, one they say has a full payload of cruise missles, are they there to back up the georgian forces in the event of another assault on south ossetia, things are starting to look bleak..

www.russiatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Looks like Russia's stolen piece of property isn't going to be kept at a cheap price and the Georgians are about to tell the S Ossetians to move to Russia if they want to be Russian citizens. Georgia has the right to do this and Russia has the might to snuff them out. This is a big gamble, will the Russians have their hand forced here before they can move on the Ukraine and Poland? If they come down too heavy handed again it could jeapordize their long term goals. They risk losing their sympathy card from the old european powers who have no stomach for war at this time. Sink a few NATO ships and that could change in a hurry.

Big game of chess.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Now this is getting funnier and funnier (in mad-house kind of way). Did Georgians suddenly found several dozens lost SAM batteries? Or maybe they assembled hundreds of modern aircrafts? They lost so fast mainly to Russian air superiority, since on the ground Russian forces did not outnumber Georgian ones that much. So who can believe this kind of stuff? Russian military posts are near Georgian capital. And now Georgia will attack just to be overrun again, this time totally and much faster since a lot of their armor is lost?
In my opinion - lies, and not that clever ones. NATO's fleet in black sea is not going to win over Russian army. Or even Russian navy. Just an excuse to remain in Georgia's territory (and maybe to allow West to escalate it a little further by bringing their own peacekeepers.).

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Now this is getting funnier and funnier (in mad-house kind of way). Did Georgians suddenly found several dozens lost SAM batteries? Or maybe they assembled hundreds of modern aircrafts? They lost so fast mainly to Russian air superiority, since on the ground Russian forces did not outnumber Georgian ones that much. So who can believe this kind of stuff? Russian military posts are near Georgian capital. And now Georgia will attack just to be overrun again, this time totally and much faster since a lot of their armor is lost?
In my opinion - lies, and not that clever ones. NATO's fleet in black sea is not going to win over Russian army. Or even Russian navy. Just an excuse to remain in Georgia's territory (and maybe to allow West to escalate it a little further by bringing their own peacekeepers.).

Yeah well we'll just have to wait and see, Let me ask you, Are you in the military at all?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, this can't be good either way.

1. The Russians are lying (for reasons unknown, worryingly).
2. The Georgians really are planning an attack on South Ossetia.

I hope for the Georgian population's sake that it's not the latter. Really.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

They didn't find dozens of new SAM batteries, but the US guided missile destroyer there is armed with a number of RIM-66 SM-2 surface to air missiles. en.wikipedia.org...

The NATO presence is more than likely going to embolden Georgia.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Probably they ( Georgians ) need to re kick off hostilities because they need a new ceasefire document signed, they made a few 'mistakes' with the last one .
www.moonofalabama.org...

But you are right that Russia will be blamed as the aggressor again.

edit:

gave wrong link

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Not in the military for almost a decade. Wow, time goes by ..... Just a "proud" armchair general!

My main "interest" in this conflict is that i can look at it as almost complete outsider, i suppose. A rare thing. And also, from what i see its results will influence the rest of this century. How Chinese curse goes - we live in interesting times?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
reply to post by Truther

Not in the military for almost a decade. Wow, time goes by ..... Just a "proud" armchair general!

My main "interest" in this conflict is that i can look at it as almost complete outsider, i suppose. A rare thing. And also, from what i see its results will influence the rest of this century. How Chinese curse goes - we live in interesting times?

Surely you think theres somthing fishy about the Nato warships in the black sea?
And whats the furthest you think nato will go if russia still ignores them and keeps there troops in georgia?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Surely you think theres something fishy about the Nato warships in the black sea?

I think that there is a lot of "fishy" stuff trough out the conflict. From its beginning (Georgian attack with clear results) ,via Russian overkill reaction with clear military victory but diplomatic and political fiasco, via Western threats that could not have worked and ending (sadly, so far) in NATO humanitarian warships in the Black sea. Its like everyone swore to make only bad choices.
As for what NATO will do - if Georgia is going to attack again i think that NATO will do nothing. There is already now a certain lack of support for drastic measures in majority of NATO members. And if Georgia will go crazy and strike again - i doubt that even US will support it. But if this small-step mutual escalation will go on - i personally bet on new age cold war. With all small proxy wars and mess.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Georgia won't attack,there probably just retaking and securing there land .The recent bombing of the train is not good, Russian occupation of Poti is bad,and the USA ships(non-neutral)getting anywhere near this,is very bad,as this could easily flare up again,the next round won't be as pretty,but i doubt it will get worse before it gets better.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The bankers (banksters) in the U.S. will not allow Russia to control that oil pipeline.
If we lose that pipeline we lose WWIII before it even starts. Actually, either way, we
lose. Highly recommend we all find peace with Jesus before he comes back to stop this stupidity. Out like a lamb, but back like a Lion.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well would there be anything abnormal about Georgia massing troops on there borders to protect and respect there borders?
I mean that is if they are going to respect the South Osettian border.
Then it would just be considered normal securing of a border.
They would have to be completely stupid to attack South Osettia again.
This time the Russians would not stop.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I have said this time and time again this smells like a false flag to me
Georgia starts poking the bear again the bear starts poking back, then you have one of the US war ships destroyed by "Russia" and hello look what we have here Another war IMO

I'm saying Russia won't sink the war ship but it will be blamed for the sinking

[edit on 24-8-2008 by duffster]

[edit on 24-8-2008 by duffster]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Irina Gagloyeva, Head of the South Ossetia Committee for Information, said last night that Georgians had fired upon neighbouring villages forcing the local population to leave their houses.

Oh my god, Georgia just doesn't learn do they?

This started with Georgia trying to commit genocide on Tskinvali, and once theres some form of a cease fire... what do they do? GEORGIA OPENS FIRE ON THE SAME CITY ALL OVER AGAIN!

Idiots.

They've shown they can't be trusted. NATO needs to abandon Georgia, let the Federation steamroll over Georgia. Knock out the military there, watch the Georgian president flee the country, and leave the rest to the citizens of Georgia to decide what they want to do with their country.

This could have all been avoided if Georgia did what ALL democracies are SUPPOSED to do when a province wants to separate, hold a referendum. But noooo... Georgia's answer is to shell a city and kill thousands of civilians.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Couldn't agree more. But the arrogance and the oil will probably continue to escalate this. After all we've got the flag ship of the 6th fleet in port with, what was it, rim-66 or some such? Being ex-military, the nomenclatures just don't do that much for me anymore. Probably enough on there to get me irradiated by a Russian reentry vehicle, that's all I need to know.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust these news as being true or accurate at this point.

Georgia is in no position to stage any new attack right now. They have their tail between their legs, and their military got embarassed pretty badly - reportedly Russia confiscated 1/4 of remaining Georgian armor plus a huge number of small arms and ammunition (after what was destroyed in S. Ossetia). I am sure even their best buddy U.S. won't allow Georgia to do anything reckless again.

Russia/S. Ossetia may be spreading these news as an excuse to linger around Poti a while longer. And there weren't any reports of any new attacks on S. Ossetia - there was one explosion yesterday when ammunition in storage exploded near Tskhinvalli.

This war is over - at least for now. Saakashvilli is now going to be paraded around as the icon of "democracy" - a democratic Che Guevara if you will - a glorified nutjob moron who recklessly placed thousands of his people in risk. Meanwhile the Georgian military is going to lick its wounds and take years to rebuild - unless they get a generous gift from the Pentagon again (yeah that means you American taxpayers).

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What is this?...2nd century b.c.?

"troops massing at te border"
whats next? Bringing in the catapults to knock down the walls? I mean if this were a serious war, would it not be in the advantage of Georgian forces to have the element of surprise?

Something done swiftly under the veil of night?

I didnt realise in modern warfare they advertised the plan of attack.

If this doesnt register as propoganda, then what does?

this must be taught in "death to the middle class for greedy bastards 101" over there in West Point or something.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Looks like Russia's stolen piece of property isn't going to be kept at a cheap price

Depends on what you mean by cheap. How much is Iraq costing the U.S. these days per day? Maybe Russia can get a discount.

and the Georgians are about to tell the S Ossetians to move to Russia if they want to be Russian citizens.

While we are at it lets tell all Kosovo and Bosnia Albanians to move to Albania, all the Pakistanis in India to move to Pakistan, all the North Irish to move to Ireland, all the Russians in Ukraine to move to Russia, all the Ukrainians in Russia to move to Ukraine, all the Hungarians in Czech Republic to move to Hungaria, all the Austrians in Switzerland to move to Austria, all the French in Belgium to move to France... you get the point.

You approach to ethnical territorial conflicts is about as blunt as Saakashvilli's approach to "restoring constitutional power in S. Ossetia".

This is a big gamble, will the Russians have their hand forced here before they can move on the Ukraine and Poland?

Poland? Polish vodka is good - but not that good. If Russia is going to invade - than why not get the element of surprise and invade the entire world.

If they come down too heavy handed again it could jeapordize their long term goals.

So what are their long term goals according to you? Invading Poland?

They risk losing their sympathy card from the old european powers

Wow you mean Europe had sympathy for Russia? When was that? When they defeated Napolean two centuries ago?

Sink a few NATO ships and that could change in a hurry.

What if Russia invades Poland? Will that make Europeans mad? Surely it didn't back in 1940. I still say we Russians invade Poland while no one is looking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join