It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apache Splash'ER ver. 1a "ASER"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Apache Splash'ER, "ASER" fence weapon.

The Problem of overcoming helicopter assaults have a new weapon to forte helicopter assaults.

Brief: bottle rocket type design with stainless steel (wire-thread-cable) attached to rocket in a fashion so it is trailing rocket.

Theory: the wire will wrap itself around the rotor causing craft to become
unstable and therefore effecting the aircraft's effectiveness.

developed under the cover of Lightning research at Florida University.
video.google.com...

No, it just gave me the Idea -- if you build a fence of these things then you fill the air with wire... and well helicopters hate wire...

any way you slice it ... you are turning a low cost weapon into a very expensive mistake for the opposition.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by BornPatriot]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Or they could use kites instead.

The head of the Philippines air force says the string from a child's kite was responsible for a military helicopter crash that killed nine people.

ABC.net.au

AVWeb

Yahoo: Kite caused helicopter crash

quick question: can kite string down a chopper?

[edit on 8.24.08 by toreishi]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
yes, the rotor assy is perfect - any disruption has major implications.

I also thought about WWI balloons.. but if they see it - well then they will fly over the obstacles... you have to surprise the craft in forward motion.. or in a ambush fashion to gain the upper hand. -- or fill the air around them with wire so there in no escape sort of a instant Web in the sky. a net if you will.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
kites with steel wire to hold them.......simple yet effective

or a manpad

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

LOL!

So true.

Why spend millions putting fences everywhere when you can give people manpads?

[edit on 24/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm scared to ask.... what's a manpad..?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

MANPAD: Man-portable air defense systems
ManPAD on wiki

Never be scared to ask questions

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Personally I dont think a kite/metal string would down a chopper, yes they are very precisely built and for that reason they are built to take damage as this link shows

thedonovan.com...

This OH-58 Kiowa, damaged during training in Hawaii in February, was successfully landed by pilots Capt. John B. Davis and Chief Warrant Officer Steven K. Huiton despite severe damage to its main rotor.

The pic is about a 1/3 down the page sry not sure how to add direct pics to the page

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornPatriot
Apache Splash'ER, "ASER" fence weapon.

Brief: bottle rocket type design with stainless steel (wire-thread-cable) attached to rocket in a fashion so it is trailing rocket.

No, it just gave me the Idea -- if you build a fence of these things then you fill the air with wire... and well helicopters hate wire...

You could build a remote control bottle rocket launcher that looks exactly like a Russian Katyusha rocket truck.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by PieKeeper]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I thought of a modification, instead of a single wire, and the wire is really air dynamic not much wind resistance. maybe a different shape of wire like a winged V wire that would also aid packing and unpacking the wire container, the wire itself keeps its self detangled..
another idea was to use fishing line it floats in the air and is lighter so getting more in the sky in a hurry would be fishing line, if a kite string is that dangerous, fishing line is like way stronger...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What does this cost to make one.... what 5$... this was an old invention I thought of...
hopefully, someone in Military will do something about this vulnerability...

but guys, when I was in - I put my hand on a HumVee back in 1986-87 and I got
about a 3 second movie (day dream) of about 30 of them turning into a pile of mangled mess.
I told the Navy - and in 1993 -- what I saw was all over TV... our boys being blown up in
fiberglass war vehicle. SIGH~~ they did nothing,

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The US Apache Helicopter is an outdated system. A person who is well camouflaged against thermal FLIR and has mastered the art of the RPG can down even the Apache. Combine that with multiple manpads and the apache is good as dead. Apache is a sitting stove ready to cook the pilots inside alive.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Despite the title of the thread, I think this is gonna be a risk for any rotary winged aircraft, not just an Apache. ^^
Speaking of which, I'd guess this would mess up an Osprey as well.

You'd want some sort of very light line with a high tensile strength, along with a disposable rocket capable of getting some decent altitude. Then I guess if you miss with that one, you just spool it back up, stick on a new rocket and wait for the next go.

top topics

join