It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any computer wizard out there ? HELP :-)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hi
Maby there is a thread about this. I did not manage to check them all :-)
Well, my english is not perfect at all, but i will try to explain the problem as best as i can...
2 times last 3 days i could not get online for several hours. So far i did not find a pattern in anything. Acc. i dont know why it works now, and why it did not work yesterday.

Got hotline support to check my IP and checked my modem from the server. So the problem is at the computer...
so far i have checked this :
restore of IP with and without 2 firewalls. 1 from antivirus program, the other windows XP firewall. Windows never manage to restore the adress, so far

did restore system several times

made man. virus scan

Another change without i did nothing, is that when i manage to get online, i have to turn of the firewall from the antivirus program, otherwise i even can't get access to eks. jubii startpage
Do you think it's the virus program that's "to effective"? Shall i delete it or ?

[edit on 24-8-2008 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

It will really help the Computer Experts here for you to do one thing..

Post all of your stats..

Make and Model of the PC
Operating System plus Service Packs installed
Anti-Virus Software
Firewall? Type
Spyware Software? Type

Semper

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The problem is you misconfigured your firewall.

Uninstall your antivirus/firewall program.

reboot

reinstall them
it should be fine.

if not like semper said post:
processor
ram
antivirus/firewall brand/model
what os-xp/vista....
what service pack are you running.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's happened to me before, in my case it definetly isn't a a problem from my side, I did everything restarted router, tried different computer modems etc.

It seems there was some kind of problem in the connection elsewhere, because it magically worked after a few hours or a day.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
It's happened to me before, in my case it definetly isn't a a problem from my side, I did everything restarted router, tried different computer modems etc.

It seems there was some kind of problem in the connection elsewhere, because it magically worked after a few hours or a day.

you are mistaken

since it worked with firewall down, that is the issue

uninstall/reboot/reinstall and good

remember she saud:"Another change without i did nothing, is that when i manage to get online, i have to turn of the firewall from the antivirus program"

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am a PC tech.
Are you saying you have 2 firewalls installed and running?
If so uninstall one of them, you should not have 2 firewalls unless one of them is just the Windows firewall. If you have 2 firewalls and they are both running they will conflict with each other.
Windows firewall is useless, so you definitely need another one, but not 2 other ones as you will have problems.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

you are mistaken

since it worked with firewall down, that is the issue

uninstall/reboot/reinstall and good

remember she saud:"Another change without i did nothing, is that when i manage to get online, i have to turn of the firewall from the antivirus program"

I said in my case, my story. I don't know what her problem is, I'm not there.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hi
Thanks for all you nice answers :-))) Well, i do only have XP windows firewall and Norman virus program... After i did turn of the Norman firewall for good, it seems to work so far... If not i will delete the program or try to make some config. changes. Glad for you're help.sometimes we are stearing us blind on something. Thanks a lot

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Running two firewalls is like putting a deadbolt on a door, then putting up a brickwall over the door. Windows firewall is like making that door out of 1/4 inch plywood (it will stop the weaklings, but anything normal or better is just going to blow right through).

If you are on broadband and have a router for your connection, you shouldnt need to run a firewall anyway, because the router is usually firewalled by default. I dont run a firewall, but I do run AV and Ad/Spy blockers. That is pretty much all you need with a well setup router.

top topics

join