It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fuel train explodes on main Georgian railway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Fuel train explodes on main Georgian railway

www.alertnet.org

Officials said the train was on the main track of the railway line linking Eastern and Western Georgia -- a vital trade route for oil exports from Azerbaijan to European markets.

The extent of the damage was not immediately clear.

"According to very preliminary information, a train carrying fuel exploded on the railway, which we think was mined," Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili told Reuters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I wonder if the russians will get the blame for this, after all it is the main train route for exporting oil to Europe.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
They'll get the blame, either direct or indirect responisibility. This will affect the oil markets as soon as they open, prices will probably go up $5 a barrel.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
They'll get the blame, either direct or indirect responisibility. This will affect the oil markets as soon as they open, prices will probably go up $5 a barrel.

Do you really think so? Do you reckon the russians put the mine on the track?
Maybe it could have been a georgian false flag event, we just dont know. We'll just have to wait and see which way this unfolds.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have no idea if Russians did it or if someone else did, but they will get blamed for it regardless of who was responsible.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
From what i saw in this conflict - it is so hard to say who did it. Both sides lie, both sides use provocations. Russian forces need to do something fast to throw Saakashvilli off until international pressure (and possibly real peacekeepers arrival) will grow too much. What it better then to destabilize the country further and then finish the work while saying they just restore order?
Georgian leaders have to remain in focus of the West and show Russian poor behavior to receive bigger support or even to stay at the top.
Both sides could do it. Personally i lean more toward Russian tricks in this case. But i am biased.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
And so it begins.......

Now guerrilla tactics no-matter by who this could get very bad and quickly, let’s just hope that we don’t have too many idiots ready and willing to take this to the pass the point of no return and send the “birds” flying

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
From what i saw in this conflict - it is so hard to say who did it. Both sides lie, both sides use provocations. Russian forces need to do something fast to throw Saakashvilli off until international pressure (and possibly real peacekeepers arrival) will grow too much. What it better then to destabilize the country further and then finish the work while saying they just restore order?
Georgian leaders have to remain in focus of the West and show Russian poor behavior to receive bigger support or even to stay at the top.
Both sides could do it. Personally i lean more toward Russian tricks in this case. But i am biased.

I remember a russian official last week warning the west about a possible georgian false flag event that would aim to deepen tensions.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The world is a powder keg, and some idiot is tossing lit matches around.

I am so sick of all this war crap! Why can't we all just grow up and play nice for awhile? The world is such a beautiful place. It's not enough to just be anti-war anymore, we have to choose peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose

I am so sick of all this war crap! Why can't we all just grow up and play nice for awhile? The world is such a beautiful place. It's not enough to just be anti-war anymore, we have to choose peace.

Being anti war or peacenik won't get anything done, never has never will. You talk as if being anti war lessened war. It caused more war by giving false impressions of weakness to the enemy in every case. There is plenty of blood on the anti war crowd heads.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The Russians are provocateurs. That's their favorite tactic. Being anti-war or peacenik at least prevents you from being mindlessly provoked.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Distractions4Nothing]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Distractions4Nothing
The Russians are provocateurs. That's their favorite tactic. Being anti-war or peacenik at least prevents you from being mindlessly provoked.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Distractions4Nothing]

No it just contributes to the enemy's cause in all cases. There is vast historical evidence to prove this.

In the words of Jane Fonda,
Quote,
"I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an antiaircraft [gun] carrier, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. That had nothing to do with the context that photograph was taken in. But it hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless. I wasn't thinking. I was just so bowled over by the whole experience that I didn't realize what it would look like." unquote

The experience of war protesting is the reward for doing it, a euphoric high of self gratification. It ignores the consequences of aiding the enemy and puts blood directly on the war protestors hands.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose

Because there is entirely too much money to be made...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This must be the first time any Russian armed forces have moved out of their own territory since the soviet era, since afghanistan . But they are now provocateurs and aggressors . You have such a choice with the usa where they invaded to protect their citizens , their excuse anyway .. panama.. grenada .. you would think that you would be retrospectively chastizing your country for such actions..in the light of your new found morality on condemning Russia of the same thing , but strangely .. it seems lacking . It makes me wonder about the hypocrisy that comes from the US admin.. it must be a genetic thing , because they aren't the only ones .. are they ?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Got a link or a quote of the Russian official warning of a "false flag operation"?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Russian General Says Georgia May Commit False Flag Terror Attacks

Deputy Chief of the Russian General Staff Anatoly Nogovitsyn warns that Georgia may be planning to commit false flag terror attacks by using mercenaries dressed in Russian uniforms, as Russia moved to guard sensitive infrastructure against terrorist attacks.

In a news briefing on Monday, he said: “I cannot rule out that they might use mercenaries with Slavic appearance for a provocation, clad in the uniform of Russian servicemen, in order to commit subversive acts both on Ossetian and Russian territory.”

In response to the threat, Russia has stationed troops around the Inguri Hydroelectric Plant, viewed as a potential target.

(Rest of the article: prisonplanet.com)

Apologies for the (dubious) source, but it's a direct quote from the Russian military official.

top topics

join