It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. warship docks in Black Sea port with Georgia aid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
MIKE, Yes your correct about rational people but you forget they are controlled by genocidal maniacs, the same ones that were responsible for the past 2 world wars. And look like they are linning us up for ww3, just to make even more money and gain even more power and control.

Are these people plotting the downfall of the US? depsite the might of the American Military it cannot do anything without the resources to fight can it. The US economy is going down the pan, the people are sick of it all, the Goverment, war and corruption and in its weakened state would not be able to sustain any kind of major conflict over a protracted period of time.

Despite the size and money the US Military has it cannot take on Russia without the help of NATO. As I have said before we Europeans see Russia as part of Europe, a trading partner and a country and its people that are close to us. I cannot see the people supporting a US led war for the profit and greed of aformentioned parasites.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Yeah, I hear you, Mike.

I guess I was exaggerating with my example there.

You never know what's around the corner, though. Let's hope our leaders make the right decisions.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This was uploaded from the BBC a few hours ago.

US warship arrives in Georgia:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

We barely had any idea what was going on during the Cold War. It wasnt till after it was over we had any inkling what was going on in the USSR. We all thought the Cuban Missile crisis was the closest we had came to nuclear war, but in reality in 1983 was when the Soviets thought we were going to invade the USSR. The only thing that stopped it was the lack of the President's involvement in an order to NATO forces during a massive exercise. Had Reagan gave the order during the exercise, the USSR was ready to launch tactical nukes on NATO forces. Thankfully Reagan was too busy to give the order during the exercise.

They were going to launch tactical nukes, because they knew they could not stop NATO from invading Russia. They were outmatched, even though they had greater numbers on the books. One of things we learned after the fall of the USSR was that thier military was full of rusted out equipment that did not function. They would apply fresh coats of paint to jets and tanks that were nothing but junk, but our satellites cannot tell the difference between painted junk and the real thing.

I would suspect the same applies today. Had the Russians been as scary as everyone thought they were, they would of wiped out the Georgian military on day one. If it had been us doing it, the war would of been over in hours.

Our economy has issues, everyone's does right now. The DOW went up almost 200 points on Friday. The dollar is at 1.48 to the Euro which is much better than it had been. Were back to levels we were at in February.
Heck gold and silver are way down, which is a really good sign.

Were not broke yet, we still have massive shale, tar sand, and coal reserves that havnt really been tapped into. We are also the World's Bread basket. Many nations around the world would starve without our agriculture industry. One of the main reasons for the current food crisis in developing nations is due to US farmers switching corn for fuel crops, rather than feeding the planet.

Were not close to conditions in the USSR before its collapse.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Our economy has issues, everyone's does right now. The DOW went up almost 200 points on Friday. The dollar is at 1.48 to the Euro which is much better than it had been. Were back to levels we were at in February.

OK, I can see that you've been lapping up what the main stream media has been selling you on the Economy. The only reason the dollar is doing so 'well' is that supposedly the EU is all the sudden doing so much worse than the US. If the only way the dollar gets a bounce is at the EU's expense...... and really that hasn't even been proven to be true. Meanwhile you'd better tell Freddie, Fannie, GM, Ford, WaMu, Wachovia, etc, etc. that everthings great. But I digress.

The resources that we have will take YEARS to bring online, IF we ever decide to get at them.

I think you made my point in your description of the 80's events. Russia was prepared to go Nuclear. I just don't know how you can disregard that threat. Time for the US to RESPECT another country again and stop running roughshod over the planet before we go broke and/or irradiate the planet.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I do see your point; we can't just rely on the possibility that the Russians are bluffing here. We ― the world ― must take them seriously.

When President Bush first looked Vladimir Putin in the eye, he said he'd found a trustworthy man he could do business with.

When I see Putin (and Medvedev), I get the strong impression they're two men who do mean business. They have stated that they're going to respond to this missile shield with measures that will go 'beyond diplomacy'; now, I'm not quite sure what that will actually entail, but I believe them.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chips

I have to admit I used be quite a Hawk when it came to US military power. As I've grown older I've found that Respect is Vital in all aspects of life. Doesn't matter if it's the Mob or gangs or whoever, Respect is always King. From what I can gather Condoleeza, Cheney, etc don't know what respect is, and that's dangerous.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I dont really keep up with the mainstream media on the economy. I do like charts and graphs though from outside the media.

A really good indicator is the gold and silver markets, when they go up things are not looking so bright. Right now theyre sitting at levels they were at around the beginning of the year.

Im not sure I made your point with the event in the 80s. Russia was ready to respond with nukes because they thought they were going to be invaded. Russians get all bent out of shape if they think someone is going to invade them.

We need to make sure if we are going to fight over Georgia (and the Ukraine, etc.) that massive mobilizations dont occur that spook the Russians, no massive buildups along their borders. The conflict needs to be contained and isolated to a regional theater and no more than that.

Basically this needs to be a 2nd Crimean War and the Russians need to understand that if we are to prevent it from turning into WW3.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Cant wait until dispatch guided missile destroyer JOHN S MCCAIN
(named for McCain's father and grandfather who were both admirals
in US Navy)

USS MCCAIN (DDG-56)

en.wikipedia.org...(DDG-56)

Wonder if Putin craps his pants hearing that John MCain coming to kick
his ass....

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

TPTB figured out along time ago that gold and silver would 'tell' on them if they started printing too much money. They have been manipulating those markets for years and have done a world class job of it lately. But you can only suppress for so long and the longer you do it, the bigger the break out when the free market finds out your paper money is worthless. Nationalizing Fannie and Freddie and a large bank or two will put our balance sheet in horrible shape.

As far as our vulnerabilities....

"We met with three of our Russian counterparts on the Duma International Affairs Committee, including its chairman, Vladimir Lukin, and senior Communist Party member Aleksandr Shabonov. On May 2, [1999] the Russians chastised the United States for military aggression in the Balkans and warned Russia was not helpless to oppose Operation Allied Force. Lukin said, ‘If we really wanted to hurt you with no fear of retaliation, we would launch an SLBM [submarine launched ballistic missile] and detonate a single nuclear warhead at high altitude over the United States and shut down your power grid and communications for six months or so.’ Shabonov added, ‘And if one weapon wouldn’t do it, we have some spares.’11

smarteconomy.typepad.com...

Depending on the specific characteristics of the attacks, unprecedented cascading failures of our major infrastructures could result. In that event, a regional or national recovery would be long and difficult and would seriously degrade the safety and overall viability of our Nation. The primary avenues for catastrophic damage to the Nation are through our electric power infrastructure and thence into our telecommunications, energy, and other infrastructures. These, in turn, can seriously impact other important aspects of our Nation’s life, including the financial system; means of getting food, water, and medical care to the citizenry; trade; and production of goods and services. The recovery of any one of the key national infrastructures is dependent on the recovery of others. The longer the outage, the more problematic and uncertain the recovery will be.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom

MIKE, Yes your correct about rational people but you forget they are controlled by genocidal maniacs, the same ones that were responsible for the past 2 world wars. And look like they are linning us up for ww3, just to make even more money and gain even more power and control.

Oh this is rich Mushram, yeah this coming from a guy who lives in a country where 3000 bits of information are gained from each and everyone of their population per week. Talk about Orwellian, yikes you guys in the UK can't wipe your butts without the Big Brother knowing what brand of toilet paper you use. Oh and out of all the America Bashing posts you have ever made (just check his posts in profiles) this one about US being responsible for the first two world wars is by far the most erroneuous, irresponsible and vindictive lie I have seen you make yet and as anyone who has read the last five pages of the "Attack America now" thread will discover, I have caught you in many of them and not one were you able to correct me on much less make any attempt to.

As I recall it was YOUR country having Winston Churchill groveling for us to help in WWII was it not?

Despite the size and money the US Military has it cannot take on Russia without the help of NATO. As I have said before we Europeans see Russia as part of Europe, a trading partner and a country and its people that are close to us. I cannot see the people supporting a US led war for the profit and greed of aformentioned parasites.

We are there fulfilling our committment to one of our allies the UK being one of them. It's always nice to know what kind of appreciation we get from them especially those we have already come to the rescue of in the past. I hope we never make the mistake of doing that for the UK again.

From the looks of things, they are going to be needing us real soon to.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedman
in US Navy)

USS MCCAIN (DDG-56)

his ass....

As Borat would say: "Not so much"

Russian SS-N-27 / NATO P-900, 3M54 Klub family.
Anti ship/sub missile. No known way to reliably stop it and at supersonic final velocity will make a hell of a mess of anything.

Photo source is below link

warfare.ru...
www.bharat-rakshak.com...

If I were Russia and had a few of those puppies around ready for launch (like they most likely will
) a few destroyers would not make me worried at all.

I just hope they are NOT used. I pity the ramifications for the world and the sailors on board.

[edit on 24/8/08 by GhostR1der]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
If I were Russia and had a few of those puppies around ready for launch (like they most likely will

I just hope they are NOT used. I pity the ramifications for the world and the sailors on board.

Unfortunately it's not the destroyers that can cause the most damage to the Russian military in the area.

The U.S. is the only country in the world with an effective blue water navy and that is a lot more than the exposed surface fleet that the Russian missiles can attack.

The warships in the area are for show, just a symbol of support for the Georgian people and a sign to Russia that U.S. forces can go wherever they want. The warships that aren't for show are the subs that no one knows about that are lurking under water and safely away from the Russian anti-ship missiles.

The U.S. submarine forces are top notch and can launch devastating cruise missile attacks on Russian positions in the Black Sea region and destroy the entire Russian navy and ports in general.

IF the Russian decide to do something against our 7 (visible) warships in the Black Sea, that would be insanely idiotic. The entire Russian navy would be sunk and the U.S. will have every excuse, and the blessing of popular and mostly worldwide support to do destroy the entire Russian fleet.

Just because the Russians have some effective anti-ship missiles doesn't mean they are the masters of the seas. U.S. forces are too multi-faceted for the Russians.

In fact I don't know why the warships are even in that region in the first place. It's a giant slap in the face to the Russians. This does not help for future peace and greatly increases the chance that some pride-choked Russian will try something that will lead to a Russian conventional military defeat. Once Russia's military gets trashed, all they will have left is their paranoia and their nukes. Then we will all be screwed.

If the U.S. really wanted peace, they would keep the military out of the area, just like what happened with the Chinese spy plane collision fiasco. Besides if the Russians really did want to annex Georgia, the U.S. can just back the insurgents that will most likely appear and drain Russia dry (see Afghanistan)

The whole approach to the tensions with Russia is a huge pissing contest with both sides pissing on each other instead of effective diplomacy.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

The above post by you is an extremely weak retreat, essentially proving that you have no proper response to any of my basic points.

The rest of your emotional outbursts are quite typical of envious anti-Americans. Funny, you obsess over America, while Americans don't even think about your country at all..

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I,m going to go out on a limb to say this conflict is essentially over,i am no psychic, but there's just no way Russia and the USA are going to tangle(ww3) over this. Russia will be sticky with the port and esp SO but eventually,when they feel they are not seen as bowing to USA/NATO pressure,they will withdraw. Georgian forces will not attack the occupying Russian army,there may be a few surprises but nothing major IMO.I will not take sides on this matter, but I do believe Saakisvili's days are numbered,as leader of Georgia. NATO won't accept Georgia with this environment, they would have to redraw the map (lose breakaway states)? I am sure we will see, with riots ,a Ukraine membership in 2-5months, and There will be more armed(proxy) struggles for the Caucasus region. Peace

[edit on 25-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I hope none of the warships have nukes with them.

This is a very dangerous situation and I believe that russia invaded georgia because the us was just days away from attacking Iran. This was russia's way of saying you attack our friend and we'll attack all of your friends.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XIDIXIDIX

America had to enter the war anyway , bevause if the nazis had conquered europe , they would become even stronger , and then USA would probably be their next target , so pretty much America had to enter the ww2 anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dracodie
reply to post by XIDIXIDIX

America had to enter the war anyway , bevause if the nazis had conquered europe , they would become even stronger , and then USA would probably be their next target , so pretty much America had to enter the ww2 anyway.

LOL They pretty much DID conquer europe see Germany in the blue. The US joined the War after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 which changed the whole dynamic of the outcome.

This however was not my point, and that is the US was in no way responsible for starting WWII but had everything to do with ending it so people like magicmushroom wouldn't be speaking German right now.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by XIDIXIDIX]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Oil. Oil. Oil I say. Hello People. Wake up Those 2 oil pipe lines running through Georgia and the oil reseerves in the caspien are an asset that the Russians have been wanting to get the ice cold hands on for a long time. The United states! well with the current gangsta administration they will do anything to have some control over the area. Come on. Guided missle destoryers. Nothing says non violence like a Big Bad Ass destroyer

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Originally posted by thedman
in US Navy)

USS MCCAIN (DDG-56)

his ass....

As Borat would say: "Not so much"

Russian SS-N-27 / NATO P-900, 3M54 Klub family.
Anti ship/sub missile. No known way to reliably stop it and at supersonic final velocity will make a hell of a mess of anything.

Photo source is below link

warfare.ru...
www.bharat-rakshak.com...

See: Sea RAM by Raytheon if you can't jam it or use other countermeasures.

www.raytheon.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join