It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. warship docks in Black Sea port with Georgia aid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

U.S. warship docks in Black Sea port with Georgia aid

news.yahoo.com

BATUMI, Georgia (Reuters) - The first U.S. warship to bring aid to Georgia arrived in the country's main Black Sea port of Batumi on Sunday, in a strong gesture of support for the ex-Soviet republic in its conflict with Russia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Two more warships are on their way after having already crossed into the Black Sea. I would expect the US presence in the area to continue to grow in the coming weeks and months. Do not be surprised when US peacekeepers arrive at some point.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
And an additional story covering the arrival

U.S. navy arrives in Georgia, Russian troops stay

BATUMI, Georgia, Aug 24 (Reuters) - A U.S. navy warship arrived in a Georgia's main Black Sea port of Batumi on Sunday with humanitarian aid as Russia ignored Western demands to remove its remaining troops from Georgia's heartland.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Here is the wiki for the USS McFaul an Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer.

en.wikipedia.org...(DDG-74)

Bear in mind that it is now only 55 miles from Russian forces occupying the Georgian port city of Poti.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I have to wonder why they sent an Aegis DDG to "deliver aid" - you'd think a gator navy ship like an LPD would make a lot more sense for delivering cargo...

Something smells fishy about this.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Hopefully it doesn't involve the delivery of any of its 90 BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles. I believe the two other warships en route are also guided missile destroyers.

"Remember the Maine"

[edit on 24/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
There seems to be confusion over how many NATO warships are in the Black Sea an enroute to Georgia and expected to arrive this week.

Reuters said three

The Associated Press is saying five

US aid ship arrives at southern Georgian port

On Sunday, a U.S. Navy warship carrying humanitarian aid for Georgia anchored in the southern Georgian port of Batumi. It was the first of five American ships scheduled to arrive this week with supplies

news.yahoo.com...

Turkish Sources are saying that it is seven ships.

Polish ship joins NATO in Black Sea
www.b92.net...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
US `peacekeepers` facing off against russian `peacekeepers` - and why are they using what is one of the most powerful weapons wise warships in the fleet to deliver `aid` - if they wanted a suitable gesjure then as said - and LPD should have been used

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

The Russians agree and seem quite nervous over it. I would be nervous over seven warships, including multiple guided missile destroyers, too if I were them.

"The situation in the Black Sea is escalating. NATO is continuing to build up its naval presence in the area," Col. Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn told reporters Saturday

Nogovitsyn on Friday expressed doubts that NATO vessels needed to be in the Black Sea, and he promised that Russia would respond swiftly to any provocations against its Black Sea Fleet.

www.b92.net...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The USS Mount Whitney (LCC-20), flagship of the USS 6th fleet, the US Coast Guard cutter Dallas, Spanish, German, and Polish warships are trailing the US guided missile destroyer.

en.wikipedia.org...(LCC-20)

en.wikipedia.org...(WHEC-716)

I would be curious as to where the rest of the 6th fleet is.

Edit: Apparently a US Frigate is also supposed to be joining them. The Russians are also convinced that the humanitarian aid is a cover for a build up.

NATO aid a 'cover' for navy build-up
www.news.com.au...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
in response , russia should deploy Topol M nuclear missiles in Cuba and Venezuala , to protect them from genocidal USA

also , Russia should provide Al Qaida with advanced weapons , so that the Islamic resistance forces decimate and destroy the evil genocidal imperialist american forces in Iraq

also carry out economic ,assymetric and cyber warfare against USA

fund mexican mafiso to destabilse the USA

[edit on 24-8-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

wow you think they should instigate ww3 then? whats with the death wish

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
lol Manson,you dont do us anti Iraq war people any favours when you say stuff like that mate!
If the russians want to arm the insurgents then fair enough,as thats what America did when the russians were in Afgansitan.
But not the Terrorists!I know there small in numbers and the media likes to say other wise-but lets just keep them having AK's!

Looks like America has another motive with their warship there,I thinks its very risky and I hope there not giving the Georgian Army supplies!
This could kick if an incident goes down between the 3 sides there at the moment!
Perhaps Amercia wants another world war with its economy down the pan?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
SNIFF SNIFF can some one smell a false flag coming ?? Nar i'm just being paranoid again
or em i ?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

WoW......., you sound like a broken record. Glad your not in charge!

I think they sent those ships because, if they would send anything smaller maybe Russia would not take the U.S seriously.
If they did'nt send those ships, how long would it take for them to get there if something bad happened?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Economy definitely plays in at some level. But the comment about arming the terrorists brings up a point in that Pakistan is coming apart and will end up doing just that. So why are we escalating against the Russians?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322
also , Russia should provide Al Qaida with advanced weapons , so that the Islamic resistance forces decimate and destroy the evil genocidal imperialist american forces in Iraq

I wouldn't rule it out completely, the Russians have been a target for Islamic groups for a very long time, it is likely that this could backfire on them.

The Russians have little time, and few options, especially in regard to the european missile defense shield. The USA does not seem willing to back away from this, and since Russia has threatened Poland in particular over that very issue... It is likely that this could become the flash-point for war, potentially a world war.

To disguise this in an aid mission is only going to further enrage the Russians, possibly provoke them.

This is crazy... Can't they at least pick up the phone and TRY to settle these issues diplomatically?

Wouldn't it be better for the Russians, USA and Europe to resolve these issues peacefully, through some sort of compromise that all sides can live with?

We may not get the Bush administration out of office soon enough!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan

WoW......., you sound like a broken record. Glad your not in charge!

I think they sent those ships because, if they would send anything smaller maybe Russia would not take the U.S seriously.
If they did'nt send those ships, how long would it take for them to get there if something bad happened?

yeah, like how Georgia with US backing murders 2000 ossetian civilians

Russia considers such movements very dangerous ,particularly in its home turf influence.............

I think they sent those ships because, if they would send anything smaller maybe Russia would not take the U.S seriously

i hope Russia takes this so seriously , that it provides Venezuala with Cruise missiles like Kh-101 armed with biological weapons like Superplague or small pox secretly (bioweapons are much more virulent and more effective and lethal than nukes, also cheaper and easu to proliferate) and build nuclear missile bases in Cuba and Venezuala

such bioweapons will ensure that Brave and resilient Venezuala will have capability to wipe USA off the map , once and for all

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I don't understand the point of Russia attacking Georgia anyways. Bomb them to rubble they gain nothing other then the rest of the world wondering what they are going to do next. Are they planning on taking it back? I think they been drinking to much vodka. Russian has plenty of land just find a empty spot and call it Georgia 2.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
With the attack on the train line things could get even more tense. Since a land mine is suspected, it points to a military hit. Which military would be the next question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join