It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone name one thing an American can look up to and be proud?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Anyway, the person who said the Fender Telecaster was dead right. I'd go one further and say you should all be proud of Leo Fender. Put him on a stamp already. The contribution that man made to the world is incalculable.

Well, if it's gonna be that kinda party, I'm gonna throw one Robert Moog in the mix!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Ah, where would I be without my MF-103?

..living in a much quieter apartment is the right answer to that, I guess...

I'll see your Bob Moog and raise you a Ted McCarty.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I'll see your whomever and [stakes are about to get REAL high here...] raise you:

• Derrick May
  • Juan Atkins
  • Kevin Saunderson

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

And can I count Rennie Foster?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think I'd have to add another: Actually it's two things when combined.

First, a quote from Tom Seleck in the movie, "Quigley Down Under"
"They say God made all men, but Sam Colt made 'em all equal."

So, the combination I'm thinking of now is Sam Colt & the 2nd Amendment!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
reply to post by vox2442

I'll see your whomever and [stakes are about to get REAL high here...] raise you:

• Derrick May
  • Juan Atkins
  • Kevin Saunderson

Detroit Techno City...

I've got to agree with you (I've got a very hazy memory of meeting Kevin back around '92 or '93 - might have been in Toronto, might have been Detroit). Those three made a massive contribution to music, I wish more people knew about them.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
I think I'd have to add another: Actually it's two things when combined.

First, a quote from Tom Seleck in the movie, "Quigley Down Under"
"They say God made all men, but Sam Colt made 'em all equal."

So, the combination I'm thinking of now is Sam Colt & the 2nd Amendment!

MidnightD...[great avatar, by the way...reminds me of my first Snake Eyes action figure]...
You're suggesting gratitude for a guy who made guns which, when used or at least carried, make everyone equal? At least, according to a character played by the guy who used to play Magnum P.I.. Whoa...

I have no problem with guns, per se, but to celebrate their effect on men? Have you ever been the victim of a random shooting? Have you ever shot someone? Has anyone ever pointed a gun at your head? Yeah, that does make everyone "equal." But, surely there's things about our great nation that you love more than this?

Don't shoot me, by the way.

While I would never suggest repealing the Second Amendment, I ask what it is about that Right that you are proud of? What does it mean to you?

edit - I'm not trying to start a war here, believe me. I'm honestly curious as to what someone such as yourself finds so stimulating about guns? If I've misunderstood your point, then I apologize. I've just seen SO MANY posters on ATS celebrating guns, war, etc., and it begs the question of whether they truly know of what they speak. Maybe you do. It's certainly not my intention to tell you what to believe. That is the height of arrogance. Again, I'm merely wondering what you [seem to] love about guns.

[edit on 8.24.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I am proud that I am not you. Plain and simple. Cough up whatever argumnet you have. I am glad I am not you.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Im proud of my country. I look up whenever we do colors and hear the star spangled banner, and have to salute. You know, at boot camp, I saw some of the most hardcore guys where were going SEALS and all other types of things, and yet when we were in ranks after battle stations (the final test in boot camp), they had these two screens come down and they played the national anthem and these two flags were waving, and you realized youre part of something. There all these guys were crying, because they were so happy. Some might call that nationalistic pride or were just brainwashed, but when you can sit there and you see pictures of shipmates going and helping out groups of people that have been hit by a storm, or earthquake, or bombed by another country, it makes you feel proud that at any time it could be you on that pier, offloading goods that will help people less fortunate. Thats what I can look up to my country and say I'm proud of. I may not always agree with my superiors, but when you have complete strangers come up to you and thank you, and shake your hand. thats just an amazing feeling.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
I am proud that I am not you.

Likewise.

Cough up whatever argumnet you have.

I am not sure what an "argumnet" is.

I am glad I am not you.

You already made that point. Take a deep breath, and give us something more substantive than childish and pointless insults.

I am proud that people like you and people like me are given equal protection under the law.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
we are not our government! as much as we like to believe we have control, or at least a say, in what our government can and cannot do, WE DO NOT HAVE! i personally believe that the one power we did have, in our ability to vote, is now gone too.

these things being true, be proud of everything that WE do. the people of this country are, now and forever have been, the very epitome of the achievement and prosperity possible living as one nation undivided by race, creed or color of skin. proof of how division, segregation and prejudice are the tools of those who try to control us and not the tools that we claim our own. do not let the actions of a few scar us as if we are one, we are not. pride we earn being good human beings is the very thing our would be handlers will never possess and never take away.

in that context, we only have little not to be proud of. believe it!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm proud that we are all so different.

One American may say "baseball, hotdogs, apple pie & chevrolet!" Yeeha!

Then someone like me might come along and say "football, steak, hershey's chocolate & Fords!"

However it's annoying that we are so hated in the world. I hope somehow it changes.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
edit - I'm not trying to start a war here, believe me. I'm honestly curious as to what someone such as yourself finds so stimulating about guns? Again, I'm merely wondering what you [seem to] love about guns.

[edit on 8.24.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

This was not asked of me but being a gun owner (of many variaties) I feel I can throw in my .02 cents.
I love owning a gun because it helps me sleep at night knowing it is right next to me and anyone breaking in doesn't have a chance to come less than twenty feet from me without loosing an arm..a leg...a head...you get the picture. gotta love Mr. Mossberg.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

I grew up in Detroit. I understand your point more than you know. And I'm glad that you chimed in.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Another one closer to home for you,, you all seem very proud of the
NYFD or is it NYCFD and rightly so.

Dont be to hard on your selves,, its simple you have a lot to be proud of

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Our country was one of the first modern democracies in the world.

However we were also one of the first to be bought out by big business.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stagesamurai
reply to post by BornPatriot

Yes. A woman almost made it to presidency and a black man is on his way.

Almost only counts in horshoes and don't count your ballots before the levers are pulled.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by caballero
Our country was one of the first modern democracies in the world.

However we were also one of the first to be bought out by big business.

Large democracies seem to be prone to that sort of thing. At least ones with a system similar to ours.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
1980 US Olympic Hockey Team.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

We've got more people in prison than any other country.

We're #1! We're #1! We're #1!

Is that an acceptable answer to the question posed by the OP?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join