It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone name one thing an American can look up to and be proud?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo2012

Check out your keyboard too. You may have a sticky substance on your enter key?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Perhaps the question would be better served if turned around.

Maybe, "is there something we can be proud of as a human race?" - forget the nationalistic part of it...didnt work for the Indians.

Things change, and if people were to study Hungarys history they would understand that better. (From large kingdom with 3 seas bordering it...to being taken over by 3+ different countries over the years, etc.)

Suppose a young nation is easy to be more patriotic - but there are older nations with the same ideas of nationalism...which kept them in conflict with others throughout the years.

So as a human species...yes, there is a lot we can be proud of...just take a look around - Im sure you will find something.

Peace

dAlen

p.s. - "Nothing new under the sun" - as solomon put it.
We just dont live long enough to see the repetition of things and believe that our realities are so concrete.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Using IE to launch nukes sounds very much American!

Varied landscape
Freedom to travel
Cults
Goodwill Industries
Wal Mart
Ursula K. LeGuinn
Isaac Asimov
Odd Fellows
Elks
Eagles
Shriners-(I think the last four are home grown)
0-3% downpayment mortgages
Mineral rights
Google

"America! # yeah!"

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
We should all be proud that there are still people in this country of ours that will stand up for our constitutional rights. Most Americans are just to busy living and trying to make ends meet to see the men behind the curtain pulling the strings.

If just 20% of Americans would look at the real issues affecting our lives and take a stand for what is necessary and right, some of those people can be found here.

www.freedom-force.org...

Freedom and the watch tower are crumbling about our feet while we are all getting poorer and falling into slavery.

A lone voice calling in the night.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The Constitution of the United States of America.

That's quite enough, but I would add that we can be proud that despite all our shortcomings, there are millions who would risk their lives for the opportunity to live here.

[edit on 2008/8/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Well put Grady.

Our forefathers produced a document which is the standard that all future generation will live by. Personally I can think of a hundred different reasons to be proud of in regards to being American, but you nailed it right on the head.

Enough said.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
America can be proud that without YOUR help in ww2 we here in Australia would have been in a right mess,
"Thankyou"

Ford motor cars arnt half bad,
HARLY DAVIDSON say no more!!!

[edit on 24-8-2008 by MinMin]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I am proud that you and other American hating Americans can post your garbage on the internet and not be arrested, what other nation can say that?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

How about the fact that you ARE an American!!! People died in all of these wars you speak of so you can have the right to speak the way you do. I guess we should have taken 911 in the keester and said OUCH!! Give me another!!!
Please look at the presidential candidates before electing one just based on his color....Obama is a scary person. Our country'd best interest is not on his mind!!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What is this? Pat on the back time?

Every nation has something that they can be proud of ..... its not exclusive to the US.

It seems that this is another jingoistic nationalistic bull# thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Bigger spirit, more beautiful, more varied, more heart than just about any other country that has been under the sun. No one can deny that.

Oh and how could everyone forget....greasy mouth watering cheeseburgers...the ones from a tavern. Only Americans know what I am talking about when it comes to a fine bar-burger.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
B.B. King
R. L. Burnside
The Shield
Holly Hunter
The Smoky Mountains
Bourbon
The Rolling Stones. Yes, I said the English group, The Rolling Stones. Because thanks to the influence of black music groups of the 40's and 50's, the Stones rose to prominence in the world.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by kyred]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hey, I know it looks bleak sometimes. And no, I don't think this is a jingoistic fish for complements on the part of Americans. A lot of us actually do have the opinion that the rest of the world hates our guts and that this country is going to Hades, and there's absolutely nothing we can do.

But I'll tell you why I love America and the modern world in general. (I don't know if this is how the Forefathers intended it to be, but this is how it turned out..)

I am a woman. I am in my mid-twenties. I am beholden to no one. I am not married, I do not live with my parents, I am in control of my own finances, which I earn for myself, and my own education, which I earned for myself, and I may just start a business or write a novel.. by myself. I may love who I choose. I may practice the religion of my choice. I may have a baby if I choose, or make sure I don't have a baby, if I choose. Not everyone may agree with my choices, but if I stupidly try to force my opinions on an unwilling majority and they decide to harass me, the law is on my side at least. I go where I want. Out of the country, around the country.. by myself, and no one bats an eye. Then I go vote in the elections, and write whatever I feel like on internet forums, and go to rallies and meetings to support my favorite causes. I dyed my hair bright red when I broke up with my boyfriend. I am a twenty five year old woman.

Would I have been able to do any of this 100 years ago? Would I be able to live like this in a country governed by Sharia Law? I don't think so. Is it perfect? Well, no not yet. But I definitely couldn't settle for less, and I'm proud to be a peaceful soldier in the fight for the future. Don't give up, my friends.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
poptarts
... no seriously, most American s are stubborn jack@$$ but from my experiences when a neighbor or whomever is in trouble we seem to come through in the end and the fact that I can complain about my government when I am angry, and not get sniped makes me happy. O am also proud that my government is paying for education and the new 911 GI Bill is going to pay rent!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I admit to not having read the entire thread.

I will say, however, that the OP disgusts me, but I am proud of all the responses to the contrary posted after the OP.

Thank you to all those folks.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LovelyDoom

I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

• Democracy
  • Baseball
  • Jazz

There are so many, many other things which an American can be proud of. When I was much younger, it was so easy to look at all the things that are distastefull, distressing, and disgusting about the USA, such as racism & the legacy of slavery, a bloated military children go to schools with mold on the walls and out-dated books, corporate greed, etc. However, once you have the opportunity [that so many in other nations never will even dream of having] to travel overseas, you really can get a much greater appreciation for the relative safety, comfort, and standard of living we have here. And then you read the Bill of Rights and [hopefully] realize just how revolutionary that War and it's consequences really were.

One more thing...

[edit for spelling] [add literacy to my list!]

[edit on 8.24.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Yeah I forgot Baseball.

Addendum:

Baseball.

Constitution of the U.S.

Babe Ruth.

Hank Arron.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the USA olympic basketball team

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
I am proud that you and other American hating Americans can post your garbage on the internet and not be arrested, what other nation can say that?

Comments like this make me
. It's like you imagine all of us in the rest of the world huddled in our closets, hiding behind layers of proxy servers, living in perpetual fear of the jackboot of the law to kick down our door.

Anyway, the person who said the Fender Telecaster was dead right. I'd go one further and say you should all be proud of Leo Fender. Put him on a stamp already. The contribution that man made to the world is incalculable.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join