It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone name one thing an American can look up to and be proud?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
HotRods
Internet
Saturn V!
B-17
F-22!!!
Chrysler Building
Hoover Dam
NYC
Rock and Roll!!!!!!!!!
The Blues
Jazz
Punk, 50/50 on that one but still
Fender Telecaster
lightbulb
ac power/motor
Hubble telescope
D-Day
Brooklyn Bridge
National Parks
NASA
X-1
SR-71
The Wright Brothers!!!

turning right on a red light

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Rock and Roll, baby. England may have perfected it by some of the best sub genres, but the root is in America.
Which then changed the face of music and culture world wide. The good parts outweigh the bad.

ps... the internet, thus why we are here now.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by dreamingawake]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Honey hut ice cream on a hot august day. 'The chrysler building.'
Nada. It now belong to the UAE.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
We have Aerosmith =D

But I agree with some of the posters here; Our intentions started out good, but went downhill.

We also gave the world popcorn.

And we gave the world rap.

Wait, that's not something to be proud of.

We're also one of the leading countries in the movement known round the world as "Obesity!"

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
I am moved by the National Anthem, I cry whenever I hear it, no matter who is singing it.

Me too."......the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air....."
part always makes me misty. - Not.

Oh, and Space Cadet, it is Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Learn how to mis-spell correctly.

Back on topic:

Odd, nobody mentioned bubble-wrap, velcro, cheez-whiz or hot-pockets.

I love the freedom of being able to over-hyphenate random words.

regards.....kk

[edit on 24-8-2008 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Steven Spielberg

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
America can be proud of being the one nation on Earth that is not subject to US foreign policy .

Oh , and Jimi Hendrix too.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The Freedom the post this very question in a public forum without beig tossed into a gulag. There is much to be proud of, too bad you cannot seem to see it. You should do alittle traveling around the world and see the condition other people live in and maybe you'll appreciate the liberties that you obviously take for granted.
Altec000

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Les Paul.

Jazz and Blues.

Electric Guitar (I think).

Internet.

More but cannot think.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I am proud that we keep trying and never give up. We take our blows and we get kicked around, usually by our own people, but I feel that at the core of all of our problems is a big group of people that only want to make things right.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
One thing? The fact that both you and I have chose to live in this great country. We're not prisoners here. We both can leave and live anywhere else, under that country's laws and cultures, yet choose not too. We choose to live here, where we can openly question our government. We can even accuse our government of organizing vast conspiracies and go on websites and openly declare this. I'm proud that, of all the places in the world to live, you and I chose to live here. Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
What! America has done and achieved countless great things dont let politicians taint your image as they do for pretty much every country. You have great scientists, philosophers, artists, philanthropists, explorers. You are at the forefront of furthering the human race on technological levels, the movie culture originates there and the birthplace of some of the greatest genres of music there are today with some incredible american musicians from the black soul singers to new york punk. America is pretty much at the forefront of everything. You should celebrate your culture as people, if you are that way inclined not be ashamed of it. Personally im a culture of one I get one life time to just be an individual.

though uk guitar bands are far far superior to your trash

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Let's see... there are a lot...

I am Proud of Our Troops... I don't agree we should be over there, and some iduviduals spoil the image of the troops, but I am proud of the ones that fight for freedom and the people.

I can have more than one child if I choose too, and don't have to kill or get my child taken away if I have more than 1 girl and 1 boy.

We have access to the internet and it's not that censored or restricted.(and hopefully won't be)

The freedom to practice the religion of your choosing...

Some people may not agree with me on this one, but I am proud we have government programs helping the people who need it.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We can now assume that we know our Roots. (unless we are in this world mutant humans from a UFO's spacealien race?).

www.asu.edu...

Of course in the year 2000 they dug up additional fossils there and cleaned them up and all of that by the year 2005. It was recently again on the News like over at the BBC. Broadcast on the News world-wide back in 1974 for Lucy given the name of one of our Ancient Mamas.

Lucy has travelled more spacetime miles in time and space than a lot of other people as an old fossil. An old fossil perhaps but.................

Now, we can ask Ancient Mama in the spirit world questions like:

Ancient Mama, why John Titor exist?
(or any other person)

Ancient Mama, is it true?

Ancient Mama, is Ethiopia our Roots, and in God's own time, the Garden of Eden?

You know, questions!
(Now, now, now, I did not say what color was the skin back then, I simply do not know about how that happened (read first line again)).

Afterall, if we to War we can add other things to the mix.
Ancient Mama, is the Bible meant to be a Warning Book, and we are not Moses, but the Lord Jesus was on this Planet?

You know, questions?

How do you feel?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

Jimi hendrix may be american but it was england who gave him his chance as the americans didnt want to know then he went back to america after britain and europe made him a star.

Blues music came about from the slavery of black people not really something to be proud of.

Hotrods- when will america learn that a bigger engine doesnt always mean more power. I would prefer a jap car anyday

Like here in the uk voting every 4 years doesnt make it a free country.
As of 9/11 there is no such thing as free speech. Try a talk out about the people in power and people notice you and not in a good way( use ATS for proof of our freedoms being taken away)

fighter jets kill people it really isnt an achievement.

I think we can thank germany for space exploration. German minds American money.

I could go on but i also think we could do this for other countries aswell.
We all have things to be proud of but there are also things to be ashamed of too.

link   
[edit on 24/8/2008 by neo2012]

link   

link   

link