It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone name one thing an American can look up to and be proud?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
American bikers.Who by the way originated from an American world war two bomber squadron.That group is called the Hells Angels.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
We Americans have the Constitution and we invented the computer and the internet. We have brought the world from an agrarian age to an industrial one with our innovation and technological advance.

If we don't end up killing everyone with out technology, for the first time in human history we have the opportunity for there to be enough for everyone, that is if we could get people to not overpopulate at every opportunity. And if we could get people to share with a reasonably even distribution of wealth.

If humanity could overcome greed and averice tomorrow we could live in a global paradise for all.

Please notice that both constraints are absolutely required for survival, and completely unnatural and unparalelled in the history of the world.
Sharing, and Restrained Reproduction.

All the world needs now are some decent manners. Good luck with that!

If there is suffereing on this planet, it is because people act like pigs in a barnyard. So do not ask me to feel beholden to that world full of selfish swine as if America never did anything good. We hauled the world out of Hitler's grasp, and sacrificed everything we believed in, in the effort.
When we killed Hitler, we became Hitler.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Pretty much everyone on this thread has been right so far. Every country has events in its past that it is ashamed of but only America has the following things they can be proud of:

Gibson Guitars
Kings Of Leon
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Rage Against The Machine
Denim
Dodge Charger circa. 1969-1970
Marshall Amps
South Park
The Shield
Dexter
The Simpsons
Beavis and Butthead
MTV
Miller High Life

I'm sure there are thousands more things the world should be thankful to America for its just a shame you guys only ever seem to get flak for the bad stuff instead of praise for the good stuff.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

First of all, China did not start this forum, they merely have internet access. Have any of those from China ever spoke against their government? I'm sure that if they were caught doing so, there would be repercussions.
Cuba
Saudi Arabia
Pakistan
Syria
Of course they all may have internet access, but they don't have the simple basic human rights we do and you know it!!
You know, comes from the Bill of Rights and the Constitution
If this country sucks so bad, then why do we have so many people trying to get here? Many have risked their lives to get here, and many have died trying.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

I couldn't disagree more with you my friend. What gives you such a pessimistic view? As a Welshman, it is clear that you hail from a great country and should take more pride in the achievements of some of your forefathers, lest they be lost forever. You mention JFK in a negative sense, which is astounding. Yes, he was assassinated, but that was a tragedy on a global scale, which speaks volumes for the man and his deeds - can you not draw inspiration from his life's work, or are you just a miserable ignoramus? I'm not sure what the current U.S history syllabus taught in your schools includes, but if there is nothing in your country's history that you can draw pride from, then you're just beyond help, as I can recall many events that were incisive and inspiring on a planetary scale. I'm speechless at your apathetic whingeing - get a life and see beyond the negative

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

The modern computer was a British invention, the constitution was a modified version of the Magna Carta, from England, the industrial revolution was also British. The internet was a mainly-American invention, though, yes. Even though the Web was invented by a Brit.

And Hitler killed himself

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

The Bill of Rights and Constitution borrowed heavily from the Magna Carta. Freedom didn't just spring out of thin air when the founding fathers got together - they already had most of it written down for them.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Key words, MOST OF IT. Not all of it.
We had to fight for our freedom from England, you know the revolutionary war. Our freedom has come with great loss and sacrifice.
What I don't understand is why everyone is so jealous of us. If other countries wanted what we have, they should fight for it like we had to.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Blackberry
i-Pod
HDTV
Xbox360
The freeedom to be what ever we wish to think how ever we wish.
The freedom to post the OP in this thread.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
One word ... Slayer
\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stagesamurai

Yes. A woman almost made it to presidency and a black man is on his way.

Problem with that is... its all a big family Cheney is related to Obama and now I just heard the Obama is related to Mcain! So in the end whoever gets into office is representing really this blood family .. even clinton is related to Bush... And yes Eveyone says if you go back enough we are all related.. however they are 6th cousins ,8th cousins and 3 rd cousins etc... too many coincidences...Remember Obama is a half blood so I would not consider him a Black man. He is of mixed descent. I myself could not be proud of this because its the same family members residing as president... How could I be proud of that?

[edit on 27-8-2008 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by dave420

Key words, MOST OF IT. Not all of it.
We had to fight for our freedom from England, you know the revolutionary war. Our freedom has come with great loss and sacrifice.
What I don't understand is why everyone is so jealous of us. If other countries wanted what we have, they should fight for it like we had to.

Yes and why did we fight? Too loosen our dependence from King George and the Bank Of England charging interest in colonial monies.. it was just not for taxing of goods like your history book says.. Ironically we fell right back in the trap when the federal reserve act was done in 1913... I suggest for you to look up at who makes up the federal reserve(not the goverment) So in reality we are being taxed on our own money(interest) And no I don't beleive countries are jealous of us...at least not in the past 10 years... I beleive countries are looking down at us.. If you look at stats we are in almost last \last place in every category We are most in debt , and we are a very unhealthy people with lots of health problems more then anywhere else.. we don't have free medical care for everyone this is sad considering 3rd world counties have this.. Trust me if you go out of the U.S most countries hate us not because they are jealous but because they don't like what we have become.. Before we where the moral beacon for the world and today... we are the exact opposite.. Just talk to foreignors yourself and see.. Heck even mexicans are going back to the mexico because the economy here has gotten so bad... THe only thing I can see countries being jealous of is our military...but that jealousy is usually reserved for the militaries of that country or goverment not the people... We have to get out of the mindset that we are the best for this is the only way we will get better. We will not change if we keep thinking like this.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornPatriot
I mean, every thing we have done as a nation seems to turn out to be more sinister that as reported.. you name it... Operation Galdio, JFK, USS Liberty, 911, WWII, Ok City, Ruby Ridge, Waco, WTC'93, IRAQ, Afghanistan, Gulf War, Vietnam, war on drugs, NASA etc. etc...
I guess Life Is A Conspiracy, after all we are all here but none of us can tell another why, we just are.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by BornPatriot]

[edit on 23-8-2008 by BornPatriot]

Harley Davidson Motorcycles .... An American Dream Come True !

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by Cyberbian

The modern computer was a British invention, the constitution was a modified version of the Magna Carta, from England, the industrial revolution was also British. The internet was a mainly-American invention, though, yes. Even though the Web was invented by a Brit.

And Hitler killed himself

I actually don't believe Hitler was even dead at the end of the war.
I used the phrase figuratively! I recall we had something to do with your big war. Brittain can take credit starting WWII if you like, I won't dispute that claim.

Let me guess, you are also Brittish?

wiki.answers.com...

You are probably referring to Touring, who conceived, but invented nothing, or perhaps Babbage who built mechanical devices with rotating cones and spheres. If that is your intent I suggest you think about the Roman gear device they found recently which acts like a mechanical computer for celestial cycles.

No Transistor, no computer. Unless of course you buid one using Resistor/Resistor logic circuits. But I would not recommend it. I have worked in clocks for Systems which once used such technology, and it was horrendous.

wiki.answers.com...&alreadyAsked=1

I am not saying that the Brittish did not participate in or benefit from the industrial revolution, Henry Ford. But there were some advances made, Henry Ford, in things like assembly lines, Henry Ford, and standardization. Henry Ford.

An inventor of ploughs was Jethro Wood, a blacksmith of Scipio, New York, who received two patents, one in 1814 and the other in 1819. His plow was of cast iron, but in three parts, so that a broken part might be renewed without purchasing an entire plow.

The Colt Factory
inventors.about.com...

The spectacular rise of the Colt factory at Hartford drew the attention of the British Government, and in 1854 Samuel Colt was invited to appear in London before a Parliamentary Committee on Small Arms. He lectured the members of the committee as if they had been school boys, telling them that the regular British gun was so bad that he would be ashamed to have it come from his shop. Speaking of a plant which he had opened in London the year before he criticized the supposedly skilled British mechanic, saying: "I began here by employing the highest-priced men that I could find to do difficult things, but I had to remove the whole of these high-priced men. Then I tried the cheapest I could find, and the more ignorant a man was, the more brains he had for my purpose; and the result was this: I had men now in my employ that I started with at two shillings a day, and in one short year I can not spare them at eight shillings a day." Samuel Colt's audacity, however, did not offend the members of the committee and they decided to visit his American factory at Hartford.

You can keep your Mangna Carta. We did not adopt it! We corrected it's failings and moved on.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn

Blackberry

Sorry.

Research in Motion is a Canadian operation. Based in Waterloo, Ontario.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You shouldn't be proud to be an American, you where born here that's all. That's like saying "I'm proud to be 6'4". That make sense to anyone else?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hell yeah, I'd be proud as hell to be 6' 4". I wish I was!

What are your regulations before you can feel good about some aspect of your self?

Who "gave" you your limitations?

Why did you accept them?

Do you feel confined, compelled, imprisoned in your own body?

What power did they have over you that you accepted it?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Yes, I can think of one thing, at the moment!

I believe I can look up to and be proud to be an American when I see that any closed-minded, totally uninformed, whining individual can freely post drivel, such as this, without any fear at all of being sought out and pursued by men in white coats for a one-way trip to the loony-bin where he, seemingly, belongs and would, very likely, flourish.

What a great Country!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Miller High Life? Meh, nothing to be proud of.

Some things that I think America can be proud of:

baseball and The Babe, Jackie Robinson

Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and the civil rights movement

Mark Twain

Woodstock, hippies, and the counter culture

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join