It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for skeptics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I know that the study of science has created a lot of skeptics within regards to paranormal findings that are the likes of ESP, Remote Viewing, and other psychic abilities beyond the five senses. If one can think why can one not communicate one's thoughts beyond your own self to other people? If one can have an imagination why do people doubt that one can view objects from far away? Why is there a lot of skepticism to this field?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am sure a simple answer would be because the paranormal would then just be normal. You can not explain it away with "hard" science.

How can someone have 90% accuracy with Zener cards? Or any of the other ESP goings-on.

I think some people are afraid to say there is so much out there that we just don't understand.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Many persons do believe they have an ability that is beyond what we think is the normal five senses. I am one to consider the possibility it is true. I would like to see proof when someone makes a claim of telekinesis or another extraordinary power. Someone had posted a video of a person doing magic and slight of hand. The tricks were very good, but I have seen magicians do the tricks before. The poster claimed that just because a magician could do it, it still could be psychic activity. I would counter if they were psychic, why not do something different to show they are really psychic.
There are also people who claim to communicate with the deceased. These people are the ones I really get upset about because they prey on people who are in a terrible emotional state. They were the ones Houdini went after. There were a couple of TV shows that starred people who made that claim. The shows were heavily edited to show they had a gift, when they did not.
There are some scientists who have tested people, and were excited when someone picked 42% correct when the average is 33%. The people picked from three objects to what someone was thinking. I took a multiple guess final exam in chemistry in high school. I just filled in the dots (I was terrible in that class) and scored the highest grade of all his five classes. It was pure luck!
I have ordered a book about Wolf Messing, and I will read it when I receive it. I do think people do have these abilities, but will not jump to the conclusion until there is verification.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishneedh2o
I am sure a simple answer would be because the paranormal would then just be normal. You can not explain it away with "hard" science.

How can someone have 90% accuracy with Zener cards? Or any of the other ESP goings-on.

I think some people are afraid to say there is so much out there that we just don't understand.

Who has 90% accuracy with Zener cards? And if someone does have a 90% accuracy rate wouldnt that be using hard science to verify paranormal.

top topics

join