It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea 'develops special noodle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This sounds like it would be a great survival food for your cache. Hopefully it will become available on the American market soon!

North Korean scientists have developed a new kind of noodle that delays feelings of hunger, a Japan-based pro-Pyongyang newspaper has reported.

The noodles were made from corn and soybeans, the Choson Shinbo said.

They left people feeling fuller longer and represented a technological breakthrough, the newspaper said.

North Korea is dependent on foreign food aid. Last month the UN warned that residents were experiencing their worst food shortages in a decade.

But the communist country remains reluctant to allow experts to fully assess the scale of the problem or give them adequate access to deliver aid.

UN warnings

According to the newspaper, which is seen as closely linked to the Pyongyang leadership, the new noodles have twice as much protein and fives times as much fat as ordinary noodles.

"When you consume ordinary noodles (made from wheat or corn), you may soon feel your stomach empty. But this soybean noodle delays such a feeling of hunger," it said on its website.

The noodles would be available soon across North Korea, the newspaper said.

An estimated one million people starved to death in North Korea in the late 1990s after natural disasters and government mismanagement devastated the country's economy.

In July, the World Food Programme warned that six million people were in urgent need of food aid, following severe flooding last year.

Most households had cut their food intake and more people are scavenging for wild foods, WFP assessors found.

Article Source

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There are people inside the north now looking at people eating tree bark to survive or add to their diets.

Foraging in the mountains has seen a huge rise in poisoning cases within the NK, but against starvation I think wild foods is a must.

I feel very sorry for the NK people, especially as the top live so well and have access to so much more.

I really hope that the NK gov and SK Gov can get an agreement soon to get food stuffs to those who really badly need it, i.e. the poor and displaced.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
So what, just because they're not feeling hungry doesn't mean they're still starving to death?
I don't quite get it.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
So what, just because they're not feeling hungry doesn't mean they're still starving to death?
I don't quite get it.

Yup and also means they wont complain as much which makes everyone happy. Guess ignorance is bliss not knowing you are starving and dying makes life so much better.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
wasnt high protien intake = appetite suppression , the " secret " of the aitkins diet ?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
oh yes, those pityful north korean, they are starving under the cruel dictator, lets invade them, install a democratic leader along with a few american bases to improve the life of the north korean, lets do it, the peoples are sufffering.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

Have to agree with you on that one. Instead of trying to solve the problem of hunger and starvation, mask it so people feel better about themselves before they fall over dead. At least they wont think they are checking out, so the government has no fear of revolt.

If these hit the US market, I'll label them with all of the useless fast food we have here and simply avoid it.

You would simply be better off eating the tree bark and insects found within.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

I'll label them with all of the useless fast food we have here and simply avoid it.

i would actually buy them as they have double the protien and 5 times the fat of std noodles - that IMHO is a great base for expedition rations - light weight fast cooking [ requires very little fuel ]

i hope someone imports them to the uk - or copies the recepie

new topics

top topics

join