It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is really going on, i ask you??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'm in Phoenix and of course going to the stores with my mother is a daily ritual.
Now, i have made these observationss-

Many stores are closing- food and clothing

The open ones are having 75% off- although i benefit greatly from the sales and have spent enough money so i have to ship stuff [I love stuff]
by UPS,it still bothers me greatly that these sales are happening and not one store has any winter garments, which everyone knows by now all stores are selling summer stuff and displaying winter stuff.

I'm kind of baffled at this, and would like to know if this is only here in this valley or everywhere.

Has anyone noticed lack of anything winter???? I think this could be due to many more stores closing its doors than we know of.

And for those who dont know Phoenix, or California, yes, the stores all get stocked with plenty of winter stuff.

Anyone smell something rotten?

Its really bothering me.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The USA is having many problems with bankruptcy. Also check out some of the things I mention in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is definately something going on and you need to become aware of it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Oh, there is something afoot- its just waaaaaay more noticeable here than back home.
Thank you for refering me to the other thread. I'll be sure to read it!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i thought you were still? in Cape Cod..

as far as winter clothing/products, i thought that all got pushed around Labor-Day...and sales designed to move slow selling products on the much publicized-Advertized ThanksGiving Sales Events.

the 75% reduction is just another sales pitch...rather than being a true fact.
the stores 'say' the price is marked down...but even the reduced price is 100-200% profit over cost.
So their 'profit margin' may indeed be lower by 75%... but that does not mean they are losing money to attract customers/sales.

the shops you frequent must not be in Scottsdale or on the other side of the valley, where the Glendale sports complex/arena has been established, so as to box in metro Phoenix to the clutches of the profit mongers.

see ya,

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
just a thought: if there would be a common closing like you're thinking's going on, i am thinking it would be some sort of thing to make everybody buy stuff online. I'm not saying online buying is a bad thing, though it is becoming more and more of a thing where catalogs are exclusive, and you have to search around more and more on the Web for what you want. If "they" closed the stores, and there were no phone numbers, and no catalogues, everything would be serialized. Everything would be IP adresses, credit card numbers, etc. Everyone would be a number. More-so than the way "things" seem to some today. And i say i'm not that good a conspiracy theorist. Though, that would be too early a comment to make.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Just visiting my mother. I'm in the Ahwatukee area, nice area of Phoenix and everyone is giving everything away. I used to live here once and all the winter merchandise was out by the middle of August.

I just find it funny that not ONE store has anything for the winter season.

I could be just a little paranoid.

Marvins: closing
Another home goods store: closing
the rest all have sales AS IF closing.....
Ross's is suspect also because they dont have much in stock and everything is 75% off also.
I beleive i heard Marshalls and TJ Maxx are in trouble too!

I guess i'll have to check labor day, by then i wont be here, but it does seem odd.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, my last post's excitement aside, i seriously doubt that's what's actually "going on". Really, nothing is likely going on. In my area, they once sold Halloween decor in June! "They" do that.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Levita,

You are right. Who knows what they decide to do and when and how.

I can o nly hope i'm reading too much into this!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I live in the Nashville area and worked in a retail store until recently (moved into a much better occupation, yay me!).

I was the guy that received everything into the store and put it in our inventory and I can tell you that we started getting winter stuff last month. I opened boxes and boxes of sweatshorts and longsleeve shirts- while it was still 96 degrees outside.

You can bet they've started getting their coats and jackets by now.

This wasn't even a clothing (exclusively) store. It's a farm supply store with an apparel section (mostly farm/ranch- work apparel and boots).

Maybe with Global Warming on the way they dont think they'll need it this year in the great state of AZ?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The stores in Phoenix just might have over bought on spec and now have to unload because they didn't sell because of the personal cutbacks that people are making to afford the basics now. Prices back here in the NE for food have risen 70% in the last month. Even local farm goods are expensive because of high diesel prices for the equipment to harvest. I have just started to see advertisements here for winter goods. It is a few weeks late even here.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
No sense in buying clothes online when you dont know how they'll fit. The only stores I can think of that shouldn't go online are clothing stores. What they should do is get together with all the other clothing stores and sale their stuff together in one building store. They can make certain already existing buidlings in locations like this. Then in it their would be the Gap section, the etc section, etc section. But before any store would work with competetion they'd rather with competetion go on out of business like unwise businesses.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
They already do just that. They call them "MALLS". They are going bankrupt because no one can afford the rents. The service sucks in most stores and the corporate entity could care less if your satisfied! I buy all my clothes and shoes online. I get perfect service for anything that is wrong. Size, poor craftmanship. they replace or credit you with no questions. At least the place I always shop with does this!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The day you cant buy a pepsi or a big mac then is the time to be concerend.

Also keep an eye on advertising, no one except sony and their ilk spends millions on advertising products for you to be unable to buy them.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

but even the reduced price is 100-200% profit over cost.

As someone who worked in retail management for over twenty years, I can tell you that that remark is not true. Average mark up on women's fashion is between 50 and 60 percent.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I live in the Nashville area, too!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Remember 1999, when just about every factory moved overseas, and we kept talking about the Benedict Arnold Corporations leaving Americans without good paying jobs... well, It is an Agenda... One in which allows a few to control a manageable sum of humans. Its cold, Its hard, and its Huge ...
and what is more disturbing is -- well, the masses will eat it up ... hook line and sinker and sinker with lead boot, not cement - mind you - Lead - thats how this is going to float ....
watch the following .... and as near as I can tell, this guy's information has been right on the money for quite some time ... so have some faith because he is preacher and I don't think he believes what he is saying is any thing other than the truth. and his track record is stellar...

this is 3 parts here's part 1
video.google.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I hope we're just reading too much into this as well, but for the moment, i am going to be downright undecisive, and go back to my conspiracy theory, because I just thought of something.

If this all-internet thing was to be the eventual state, really, how many people would be trapped into that "Matrix"? How many would be able not to be numbers? Grow their own food? Make their own clothes? Or, would they have to order fabric online, and GMO tomato seeds online as well, even to be able to do so?

Sorry for going back to that, i suppose. But i thought it was an interesting continuing hypothetical.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by crimvelvet

Oh, there is something afoot- its just waaaaaay more noticeable here than back home.
Thank you for refering me to the other thread. I'll be sure to read it!

DG,

I also live in Phx, I also sent you a U2U a while back......anyway, you are correct in seeing things closing down. The area I am in, not too far from you, has seen intersections of businesses shut down, barricaded by fencing, etc etc. In the past 6 months I have witnessed 2 Quiznos subs shut down, a Taco Bell franchise close, 2 dry cleaners shut down, office supply store gone, SEVERAL major furniture stores gone. There are also medical offices newly built that have been on the market for several months with no takers. So yes your observation is very real.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by solarstorm]

new topics

top topics

join