It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How RFID Tags Could Be Used to Track Unsuspecting People: Scientific American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

How RFID Tags Could Be Used to Track Unsuspecting People: Scientific American

www.sciam.com

If you live in a state bordering Canada or Mexico, you may soon be given an opportunity to carry a very high tech item: a remotely readable driver’s license. Designed to identify U.S. citizens as they approach the nation’s borders, the cards are being promoted by the Department of Homeland Security as a way to save time and simplify border crossings. But if you care about your safety and privacy as much as convenience, you might want to think twice before signing up.

The new licenses come equipped with radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags that can be read right through a wallet, pocket or purse from as far away as 30 feet. Each tag incorporates a tiny microchip encoded with a unique identification number. As the bearer approaches a border station, radio energy broadcast by a reader device is picked up by an antenna connected to the chip, causing it to emit the ID number. By the time the license holder reaches the border agent, the number has already been fed into a Homeland Security database, and the traveler’s photograph and other details are displayed on the agent’s screen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Welcome to the modern day surveillance state, where your every move is tracked in some database, courtesy of RFID technology. These devices are being increasingly "snuck" into more of our everyday items and resources which encompass our activities. I wonder when the final gauntlet will be dropped and the "implanted" versions will be pimped out and then forced upon the masses? Sound crazy / impossible? Don't be too sure, with the current insanity going on in modern times...

RFID tags have been likened to barcodes that broadcast their information, and the comparison is apt in the sense that the tiny devices have been used mainly for identifying parts and inventory, including cattle, as they make their way through supply chains. Instead of having to scan every individual item’s Universal Product Code (UPC), a warehouse worker can register the contents of an entire pallet of, say, paper towels by scanning the unique serial number encoded in the attached RFID tag. That number is associated in a central database with a detailed list of the pallet’s contents. But people are not paper products. During the past decade a shift toward embedding chips in individual consumer goods and, now, official identity documents has created a new set of privacy and security problems precisely because RFID is such a powerful tracking technology. Very little security is built into the tags themselves, and existing laws offer people scant protection from being surreptitiously tracked and profiled while living an increasingly tagged life.

www.sciam.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
whats amazing is that people will be dumb enough to go along with the RIFD chip.

People are going to jump all over this like it's a new genius product to make our lives easier.

Hell no it won't, it will complicate things and it will take away your freedom. I'm pretty sure that is the plan to be able to shut off peoples cash, access to society or anything else they can control with the RIFD chips. Not a good idea if people really think about it. People need to stop being so reliant on technology and learn to take some degree of control back in their lives. learn to live with a normal ID card that has to be looked at visually to be identified, not scannable and trackable from space.

Also, I know this sounds a little extreme but be cautious of the "OnStar" system that they put in cars. Not a good idea when your car is one giant bug that can listen in on your conversations anytime somebody wants to listen in. from board onstar employees peering into others lives, o the FBI. I don't think there is any law that specifically states that one can't turn on somebody's onstar system without a warrant and listen in on anyones conversation in the car. It's shady.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The new licenses come equipped with radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags that can be read right through a wallet, pocket or purse from as far away as 30 feet.

I had read this elsewhere as well and found it highly disturbing.. I am not going to be so naive as to say that I don't understand why some ppl are on the bandwagon of these chips, I just dont' think they are thinking things through logically.

Because I am in the mindset of being an individual rather than a faceless extension of a society, I would rather be left alone to deal with my own security than to take the chance in trusting them to, not only do it for me, but trust that it is their intent to want to protect me.

Logic tells me that I don't need to be monitored to for my protection.. I mean, why would I need protection from myself? Think about it ppl, they are protecting something/one from YOU when they monitor your every step.
Quit thinking of things from a the mindset of society and start thinking as an individual... monitoring YOU does nothing to secure your livelihood.

Basically when they monitor you, at best, they are protecting me from you.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by justamomma]

new topics

top topics

join