It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Massive Earthquake Could Hit New York City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Study: Massive Earthquake Could Hit New York City

www.wnbc.com

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A massive earthquake could strike New York City, according to a newly released study.

How could this happen? Scientists discovered new fault lines in the region. The Indian Point nuclear power plant less than 25 miles north of New York City sits a mile away from the intersection of two active seismic zones that before now, researchers hadn't even known existed.

The study is published in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Now this is VERY interesting...and it also makes me wonder what the heck is going on with scientists when it's 2008 and they're JUST NOW discovering fault lines in one of the world's largest "western" cities, which could produce an earthquake as large as a 7.0...that is mind boggling to me.

Also it makes Edgar Cayce come immediately to mind for obvious reasons...

www.wnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So does this mean that those late 90s, poorly produced, USA Network, made for TV films like Earthquake in New York are right?

I knew one day watching those movies would pay off.

Heh, now the east and west coast people have one more thing in common to rap about.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
can you think of the devastation theyre I hope a earthquake doesnt ever happen.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

If there are fault lines near New York City you can rest assured that an earthquake will happen at some point. What concerns me the most is that no major activity has occured for quite some time (over a hundred years) and one may, in fact, be due. Also, the article states that an earthquake did occur in 1737 and then in 1884...about 150 years apart. Now, that is certainly no trend but it does raise ones eyebrows about what may be brewing. Preparations are a paramount!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I wonder how earthquake proof all of those skyscrapers are for a city that was supposed to have no risk of earthquakes. Wouldn't want to be a person on the sidewalk for that one...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

The article also said that an earthquake of 5.0 happens on average every 100 years, so I would imagine the city is most certainly overdue already...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by matth
Also it makes Edgar Cayce come immediately to mind for obvious reasons...

I did a little bit of research when you said edgar cayce:

The Atlantic coast of America would be altered, especially around New York and Connecticut. New York City would disappear.

Russia (At the time of the prophecy was atheistic and communistic) would become the spiritual hope of the world. They would live their lives with concern for others, not by decree as dictated by communism and religion, but rather, through spiritual maturity.

The great earth changes he predicted would occur over the span of one generation. Some people put this as 40 years and have set a period beginning in 1958 and ending in 1998. (We can see from this why prophets shouldn't set specific dates) The changes would begin slowly at the beginning of this period. An increase in intensity, frequency and unpredictability in earthquakes and weather anomalies such as violent storms and droughts. Later in the period, these changes would drastically increase in frequency, intensity and violence.

Note: Since 1960 there have been an ever increasing number of violent hurricanes, earthquakes, and volcanic activity worldwide. We have experienced storms that are supposed to occur every 500 years, returning to visit us within 10 years or less.

One of the signs of the entry into this period, is the movement in land masses in the Pacific Ocean area, simultaneously with similar activity in the Mediterranean Sea and Mt. Etna in Sicily. This will mark the beginning of the earth changes on a grand scale.

California and the Baja Peninsula will disappear during a series of intense earthquakes. San Francisco, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara will be only a few of notable cities that will not exist afterwards. The Pacific Ocean will cover the western part of the US up to Arizona and Nebraska. Both will have ocean harbors towns.

Note: Archaeologists have just discovered the lost part of the ancient city of Alexandria, Egypt which has been submerged in the Mediterranean Sea since an earthquake sent it there almost two thousand years ago. There is great excitement because they hope to find the tomb of Cleopatra in the remains of this once great historical city.

The southern parts and coastal regions of the Carolinas and Georgia will be submerged under the ocean. Note: The coastal areas of these states as well as most of Florida, Alabama & Louisiana are only a few feet above sea level. It won't take much for this to happen.

The Great Lakes will drain into the Gulf of Mexico through the Mississippi River. The Niagara River may well run dry and if it does, then there goes the Honeymoon Capitol of Niagara Falls.

The greater part of Japan will go into the sea.

Northern Europe will also change especially those parts near the Arctic circle.

Toward the end of the period for these upheavals to take place, the earth will shift its poles causing the Polar caps of the Arctic and Antarctica to begin melting. When this occurs there will be major rising of the ocean levels that some estimate to be several hundred feet. A large part of coastal land masses world wide will be flooded and there will be an exodus of people to higher ground. The melting won't occur overnight, however, your beachside condo will become worthless overnight. Some of those areas that enjoy the bliss of tropical weather will find themselves living in the new Arctic polar regions, and those living in colder regions will need to buy beach chairs and sun tan oil.

Edgar Cayce also predicts that there will be new lands rising from the depths of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. In the Caribbean and off the coast of Bimini in the Bahamas Islands.

There are also some safe places in the US. They are; Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, the central and eastern states to name a few. The Virginia Beach area as well as, southern and eastern Canada will be safe havens also.

Heres the link

www.newagedirectory.com...

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Holy schnikeys, whoever planned the infrastructure for that city wasn't thinking of earthquake proofing anything I bet, if things were to really rock that city's core they'll be some buildings falling, especially the brick apartments in the ghettos, really gonna be tragic..

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wow this is a scary thought. NYC is definitely not prepared for this.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Wow if this really does happen,
New York's gonna rock like a Led Zeppelin concert.
The nuclear power plants only 25 miles away so im guessing
if anything happens to that place during the quake then radiations gonna be a
big problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This area is crossed with ancient faults - I am sitting on the Ramapo
fault in NJ. Just get a map and trace line of Passic River and its
Northern tributaries, Ramapo, Pompton. The Watchung Hills and Palisades are remains of ancient lava flows 200 million years ago when Africa
tore away from North America. Nothing unusual about this - in fact
strongest earthquakes in Continental US were center on New Madrid
fault system in Southern Missouri - itself reamins of rift valley which
started to form then stopped.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
A couple points..

1. New york Buildings are not built with earthquakes in mind (Doing so will cost millions and will take years) (Retrofitting)

2. A 5.0 in a unprepared city like New York would be like a 6.0+ in downtown LA.

Case in point.. A few years ago (2003) we had a earthquake Just north of me about 30 miles. it was a 6.5. It caused a few buildings to collapse and killed a couple people. It also caused widespread structural damage in the town of Paso Robles.

Follow link to the BBC news story .. (I live 25 miles south of Paso)
news.bbc.co.uk...

A large portion of the buildings in the Paso area had not been retrofitted for earthquakes. Paso Robles isn't a large built up city like the New York area.. If a Quake like this one hit New York .. Well it wouldn't be pretty.

Not even mentioning the panic that would hit the people in New york Causing them to do all sorts of stupid things.

Two people killed and about 40 buildings collapsed or severely damaged at Paso Robles.At least 40 people injured in the Paso Robles-Templeton area. Buildings damaged and small firesoccurred at Cambria and Morro Bay. The airport at Oceano was closed due to cracks in the runway.More than 10,000 homes and businesses were without power in the Paso Robles area.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

ha ha! Too funny! Rapping about the quakes! Who's quake is bigger? "my earthquake brings all the boys in the yard, damn right it's better than yours, damn right, it's better than yours' LMAO!

No for on topic discussion: I read about this about 2 weeks ago, I was reading up because of the rarity of quakes in my area, and suddenly we are having quakes, minor, but nonetheless, quakes, weekly. I grew up here, in all my life this has never been an occurance, but in the last 1 they have been hitting. I have to say, I think something is up.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
hey I happen to know that fault lines could be just about anywhere. Heck theres even a fault line in Oklahoma.. heres a link to prove it..

oklahoma fault

its very interesting to me to think that just about anywhere there could be an earthquake..now granted the most recent and biggest earthquake to hit Oklahoma appears to have been a 2 on the Richter scale, but still it registered and could have been alot worse. Theres another fault line near Oklahoma called the New Madrid Fault line and it set off a big quake in the 1800's..heres another link for that one.

New Madrid Earthquake
this apparently was a pretty big one but due to the fact that it hit in a then sparsley populated area the damage was not so bad..However if you read far enough it does day that a lakes' level rose by as much as 9 meters due to the warping of the land. thats amazing..so you see there could potentially be an earthquake just about anywhere. I certainly dont sweat it..I mean heck we have tornadoes to regularly terrorize us here in OKlahoma..whats a lil shake and quake of the land eh?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by matth

Actually structurally those gleaming skyscrapers would probably do just fine. The real danger is the all that glass breaking and falling onto people on the street. Some of the real old low-rise NYC buildings (built before early 1900s) were constructed before reinforced concrete became the norm... so they might not do well.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
WOW. The sensitivity in this thread is astounding. YAY for a quake in NY!!!

BOOO.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm with you on this one, TruthWithin

I think what concerns me most in this scenario is not the buildings, but the infrastructure: the water, steam, and gas delivery systems that are starting to fail without an earthquake.

top topics

join