It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What benefit, if any, would governments have from disclosure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What would be the real reasons behind government secrecy over UFO or alien contact? Why not share in the knowledge?

Is the real reason for non disclosure, other than panic and unrest from freaked out citizens the worry that they wouldn't have the same control over us that they once had?
Religion would evporate almost immedialtely as nearly all religious views are founded on the beleif that we as humans are made in God's image (in who's image would an alien race have been created?)

Just interested in hearing everyone's angle on this. I'm relatively new to this Site so I appologise if this has been done already!

Think this may be in the wrong area - would be grateful if a nice and helpful mod would move it

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is no-one at all interested in this or has it been done to death already?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

First, the governments want all the information gleaned for themselves and their military services.
Second, when people realize they are not alone and have alien neighbors, many will start to identify themselves as Terrans first, and then the state/nation they are from. The local and federal bureaucrats do not want to lose any of their power. They have had it for thousands of years, why let it go now?
Basically, as stated, it is greed keeping any form of disclosure from happening.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Surely there's more to be gained through disclosure? People in power would find their roles of greater worth, not only as ambassadors to countries but as ambassadors for the world. Their power would have increased exponentially.
Technology could be exploited by those in control, creating jobs etc.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Good point,perhaps the main reason is that...theres absolutely nothing in it for them (many govenment and military organisations would have a lot of explaining to do).
I would imagine the US airforce/Pentagon would lean towards the findings of the Brookings report from the 1960s which states that UFO disclosure would incite public panic,riots,fluctuations in the stock market etc.. and therefore keep up the pretense that UFOs are of ´no defense significance´.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think the main benefit of disclosure, at the moment, would be that nobody would really give a @#$% about the banks and the world economy....... for about a week.
Man, but what if ET only got disclosed because they needed a 700Billion $ bail out. Now if that happened the $H!t would really hit the fan.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

I would imagine the US airforce/Pentagon would lean towards the findings of the Brookings report from the 1960s which states that UFO disclosure would incite public panic,riots,fluctuations in the stock market etc.. and therefore keep up the pretense that UFOs are of ´no defense significance´.

Thanks for the reply,

I'll need to check that out, I would imagine the response would be similar to what you said, although from recent news the only way the stock markets could go is up, so disclosure might be just around the corner!!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Yeah an intergalactic $700billion IOU!
That might be a good enough reason for disclosure...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I do disagree about government becoming more powerful. If people realized they were not alone, they would become more spiritually aware of how small our planet is and become less materially inclined.
This is pure conjecture on my part. It is hard to say why they don't want disclosure, but it is more to preserve their ways of life. One thing is certain, the knowledge of us not being alone will change everything about what we have thought about in the past, from government to organized religion.

top topics

join