It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a-10 ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I recently heard that the current A-10s are being upgraded, therefore extending their service life.

If true, then I am happy to hear the news. The A-10 is one of my favorite birds.

Anywon have any info?

Thanks in advance.
~Face

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
hope they upgrade the main gun with a more powerfull version of its gun. they are allready developing a chaingun which uses electromagnetics to shoot the bullets.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Global Security has a good article on the "Hog Up" program to extend the service life of the A-10 through 2028. That seems like a very optimistic projection to me, but the upgrades include everything from avionics, to targeting and defensive systems, and even engine design.
Global Security A-10 Link

I like the A-10 myself, and I am curious to see how the JSF is adapted to fit the role of close-air-support aircraft since the old Thunderbolt II had that purpose in mind when it was designed.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the link Spectre.

I know the A-10 is getting a little long in the tooth, but the Warthog just seems to fill the "grey" area between gunship and fighter/bomber so well. As far as I know, the A-10 could go places and do things both heli's and fighters could not. Higher altitude than the Heli and much slower stall speed than most fighter/bombers. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

And I have never seen a pilot or ground crew member ever say nothing but good things about the A-10 in interviews.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hey guys, ok i have to post my 2 cents on this topic due to it being my favorite fighter. I hope these upgrades will be with the color of it because there are some cool colors but a new paint job wouldnt hurt it. And also as someone said the machine gun should be upgraded also and i agree, because this baby has to kick a$% if yah know what i mean
These will be the best thing ive heard today
anyone with any other info on this please enlighten us

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here is some information on the upgrades:

1. www.airforce-technology.com...
  2. www.hilltoptimes.com...

How many airplanes can take the direct hits by AAA that the A-10 can and still fly? Its armor is very thick:

1. www.pats-world.com...
  2. userpages.aug.com...
  3. userpages.aug.com...

Out of all the simulator games I have played my A-10 sim was a favorite.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Titian,

Thanks for those links. Those pics were insane! Those A-10s looked almost like the old WWII B-17 damage pics. I can't believe some of those warthogs made it home.

If I was on the field in a tank and saw an A-10 coming my way, I think that I would just get out of the tank!

It seems logical to me that the A-10 might enjoy a long life like the B-52 or E2-C Hawkeye. The A-10 just seems to do it's job superbly. I must say, I cannot envision a replacement for it.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
It seems logical to me that the A-10 might enjoy a long life like the B-52 or E2-C Hawkeye. The A-10 just seems to do it's job superbly. I must say, I cannot envision a replacement for it.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I have a similar opinion on the matter. It is not so hard to envision a combined force of fast moving JSF's - with advanced weapons (like the solid state laser), stealth, and good air-to-air capability- to deliver some ground support but also providing some needed cover and defense for the A-10s -with their massive weapons load and peerless cannon- which could then loiter over a battlefield with less worry about the threat of SAMs.

It eludes me at the moment, but I had an article concerning inprovements to the 30mm ammunition used by the A-10, including a proximity fuzed prefragmented HE round with airburst capability for antipersonnel use. Sounded nasty. I will post it when/if it turns up.

Good links, Titian. Those will get passed around among "the boys" this week.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yeah, nice one!
The A-10's also one of my favourites, and I'm glad to see that the tech-happy brass does have some marbles left!

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I just watched a story on CNN about a female A-10 pilot (callsign "KC" AKA KillerChick) who's bird was pretty shot up while flying over Bagdad. They showed the plane and it was a mess. Bullet holes all over, missing bits and pieces, hydraulics were fried...just a nightmare. She somehow got the plane home. I don't know she did it, but she did it.

I think anyone that questions the reliability or safety of the A-10 should be shown that story,

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Good links, Titian. Those will get passed around among "the boys" this week.

"The boys"??? Can you elaborate? I'm glad I was able to contribute more than just my opinion for once.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by titian
"The boys"??? Can you elaborate? I'm glad I was able to contribute more than just my opinion for once.

I have a group of friends, aviation/aircraft enthusiasts, and we are constantly emailing link and photos to each other of some new and amazing tidbit we find. It is a sort of friendly competition. ATS is my secret weapon and has provided me a lot of great stuff.

Now that I think about it, it may not be accurate to call it my secret weapon. Since the board is essentially anonymous some of my friends could be scoping out the board, too. For all I know YOU could be one of them!
Great, now I'm even more paranoid.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
I have a group of friends, aviation/aircraft enthusiasts, and we are constantly emailing link and photos to each other of some new and amazing tidbit we find. It is a sort of friendly competition. ATS is my secret weapon and has provided me a lot of great stuff.

Now that I think about it, it may not be accurate to call it my secret weapon. Since the board is essentially anonymous some of my friends could be scoping out the board, too. For all I know YOU could be one of them!
Great, now I'm even more paranoid.

Ya never know

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

If true, then I am happy to hear the news. The A-10 is one of my favorite birds.

Gawd of all air-to-ground combat vehicles...IMHO.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I just watched a story on CNN about a female A-10 pilot (callsign "KC" AKA KillerChick) who's bird was pretty shot up while flying over Bagdad.

Facefirst, here's her story: userpages.aug.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the link Titian.

Great story!

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Another link to the story

I've heard a story about an A-10 flying home with half its starboard wing blown away by a SAM in the first Gulf War. Try as I might, can't find any links for it. Oh well. My graohics card cooling fan has been making funny noises, and I have to limit my time!

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I saw that story on the History Channel.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The A-10 is one of my favorite planes. I couldn't imagine anything else doing its job better. I hope its around for a long time to come.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I love the A-10 I mean what other plane look so good with eyes and teeth painted on them. A plane designed around a 20 ft 30mm gun

I think planes like the A-10 and B-52 will be a testimony to brilliance of the aircraft designers of old. People may knock them for not being "pretty" planes but who needs to look pretty when you do your job that good.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join