It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Perry says school districts should decide own gun rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Gov. Perry says school districts should decide own gun rules

www.chron.com

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry said Monday that local school districts should be able to decide whether to allow concealed weapons on their campuses.

"I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained, if you are registered, then you ought to be able to carry a weapon," Perry said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I believe Gov. Rick Perry is right. It should be up to the local school districts what types of security measures and rules are used. Violence Policy Center should stay out of it.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think conceled carry laws are fine if an applicant goes thru a firearms training program.

But....

Along with and in addition to the mechanical program; needs to be an intensive psychological profile, drug and alcohol background check with monthly P tests, extensive background criminal record check and records of all guns owned by the applicant. DUI=no gun. If we can't trust you with a PickUp or car; how can we trust you with a pistol.

Paid for by the applicant.

Most teachers I know couldnt pass a P test much less a mental health evaluation. The kids have made them nuttier than a fruitcake.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well, considering that I saw North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns float across my favorites list a while back...Adding this thread to the mix, I've got only one thing to say:
Only in Texas!

Hey, the way I see it, this only re-enforces the whole idea of the 2nd Amendment, which has already become Unconstitutionally over-regulated in the first place.

Originally posted by whaaa
The kids have made them nuttier than a fruitcake.

Throwing this into perspective too, then Governor Perry must figure that, if teachers are going armed then the students are going to need some self-defense...

A quote by Tom Seleck in the movie "Quigley Down Under"
"They say God made all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

Yep, only in Texas! This type of goofy macho BS will only in the long run hurt the 2nd amendment rights to bare arms.

It's only a matter of time till some student get killed by a teacher or the kids take the gun away from some wimpy teacher and off a bunch of their fellow students. Then the backlash from parents will set the personal carry movement back 20 years.

I personally don't carry a firearm but my girlfriend does; because being the consummate romantic, I bought her a beautiful little Barretta. That's true love and trust.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I personally don't carry a firearm but my girlfriend does; because being the consummate romantic, I bought her a beautiful little Barretta. That's true love and trust.

When you want someone to be capable of protecting themselves if you're not around, that's love. To give them a gun when you don't have one that's trust...Big time!

As far as regulating gun-ownership goes, try the webpage for Kennesaw, GA & look at their Municipal Codes (Chapter 34, Article 1: In General). Then call up their Police Department & access their Crime Statistics. You'll see that the more people have the choice of owing & carrying firearms, the lower that crime stats go. Yet, in places like Washington D.C. that have very strict ownership restrictions...Well, D.C. isn't called "Murder Capital of the USA" for nothing. When only criminals are armed, crime rates go up. When everybody is armed, crime rates go down because criminals have to be a lot more picky when they try to choose their next victim...

The whole key behind the 2nd Amendment is that the only restriction allowed involves personal responsibility: That is to say that you have the full Right to keep whatever firearms you want as long as you don't use them to violate the Rights of others. If you do, then that Right can be taken away...Upon conviction under Due Process.

Government-imposed restrictions have no ability for determining the kind of self-responsibility for each & every individual. This is why the 2nd Amendment says that Arms Rights are not to be infringed. The Constitution & Bill of Rights must be understood by the intent of those who wrote it in order to truly understand your own defense against crime & tyrannical government. Governments create laws in order to create more criminals...The only way government can enforce laws is by force...The more criminals the laws creates, the bigger & more oppressive a government gets. A vicious cycle of self-destruction.

Edited to insert the weblinks that somehow got left out.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
johnny what is the answer to number 2

wrong where do you want it

This could go both ways teacher has a mental breakdown and goes comando, or protects the kids from those that have weapons.

double edged sword

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Good for him. If they keep pissing him off he will sign into law the ability for CHL holders to carry on campus. Which I bet is what happens when Brady and her bunch of dried up old hags and hippies make this a issue.

new topics

top topics

join