It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrold school district's gun policy violates law, Brady group says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Graber
Being Canadian, I don't know American law too well, but doesn't the second amendment state that the pourpose of the right to bear armes is to provide a milita of the people? Using that as a legal basis, it is actually unconsitusional to overturn the school board's desision on this matter. Therefore, and I can't belive I'm typing this, let them have guns!

Well for someone who claims not to understand American law too well, you seem to be able to grasp it better than most that live here.

The 2nd Amendment is actually quite simple and if you read it as it was written originally, any and all opinions that infringe on the right of any and all ppl in this country to keep and bear arms is wrong. I suspect the opposers have little to argue with at this point unless of course they are against the constitution and the rights it has given us as individuals to protect ourselves without stipulations on those rights (opinions being one of the stipulations *not* written into the 2nd amendment
)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I can't imagine being a Teacher these days.

I could, if I was allowed to carry my 9mm.

All it's going to take is one teacher, saving his/her classroom, from a psychotic child bent on revenge (?) and most anti gun sheeple will be singing a different tune.

Then again all it will take is one teacher to *snap* or a psychotic child to get a hold of the gun and...

Oh bother...

All in all, give them the gun.

...round and round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Hence, the need to beef up the school district police forces. Let the people who are trained peace keepers keep the peace. This route is by far the safest, and most logical route to go.

As far as a showdown between a student welding a cell phone and a teacher a gun... Well, that seems to be a little over the top, doesn't it?

There are no school district police forces. There are the normal city and county police forces. There are usually 'resource' officers in schools, which are police officers. They usually end up handling the student parking. There are a lot of teachers I'd trust with a gun before a lot of police officers. Besides, who do you think a gunman would go for first? The cop that he knows is carrying a weapon?

Bottom line though, regardless of opinions, the law is on the school's side. People who murder, assault, and rob with guns are criminals, just like people who murder, assault, and rob without guns are criminals. It's the person and not the gun, and it's time we as a society got rid of the mentality that everyone should be punished for a few people's stupidity.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was James Madison who was a writer of the Bill of Rights. He stated in a now available letter to a friend that the REASON to bear arms was so that the public had the ability to overthrow a corrupt government. History will show you, if you bother learning it, that history repeats itself, and all, ALL governments by man eventually become corrupt. The Soviets disarmed the populace, and that is why the USSR lasted so long. We NEED weapons to overthrow our current government! I'm not saying the current government is in need... and as long as the population is sufficiently armed, they probably won't come out with blatant corruption, like they do in other countries. They havfe merely learned the fine art of 'prevarication'. We are deceived into THINKING we are free, a democracy or a republic. I am thinking of starting a new political party, partly tongue in cheek, and if anyone else is disgusted with the lack of choice this time around, let me know.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yeah, guess what Texans will carry no matter what the law is. We still pray at football games, hand out Bibles in class, and don't really give a crap about the laws passed up north.
My guess is Perry will pass a law where CHL holders can carry on campus. Betcha a box of .45

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
No guns in schools means your child is a sitting duck with its wings clipped. Any idiot with a gun or a terrorist gang comming over the border can target Texas schools for mass slaughter knowing there is no risk to them. There is already a big enough problem with kiddnappings in the border area that tourists have been issued a warning..

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
To the best of my knowledge this is a state's right's issue and should be left to that. The people in that area, made their decision and passed the measure. The Fed should stay out of it and worry about the many problems that they have.

Those of us in the south are really getting fed up with the Fed continually trying to trump state laws and decisions.

Those of you saying guns are only for militias:

If the teachers have weapons and they all recieve training, is that not a "milita"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join