It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunnel of Death (Lefortovo Tunnel Russia)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
After watching this video clip, I can only assume that there is something paranormal about this tunnel, or the Russians are the worst drivers on earth (excluding their circus performers)

Here's the link. It is quite astonishing

disclose.tv...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
That's frightening...either there is some really bad engineering going on there with the road surface and sightlines, of the place needs an exorcist. Maybe the road surface if greasy? A lot of the cars seem to fishtail suddenly, for no reason, or for braking just a little. Maybe in a tunnel, build up of oil and other debris on the surface wouldn't be washed away by rain as it would on an exposed road? Just a theory...

Cait

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
i dont know what is going on there in that tunnel but there are people who would pay big money to have an amusement park ride that whip's you around like the back end of that bus .
YEEEEE HAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
thats very strange it seems to be the same part of the road, which is weird, but it does seem like they are slipping on something

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Maybe they're all rushing their poodles to the veterinary clinic, and feel the risks to everyone else on the road are acceptable..

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Actually most of them looked like dumb people that didnt know how to drive and of course excessive speed.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yea it looked like a couple people just underestimated the curve and went barreling through it, tried to slam on the brakes, then, the inevitable happened.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A Matehmatical explanation:

V+(A*M)=C

(C=chaos, M=state of vehicle maintenance, A=age of vehicle, and V=vodka.)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I like the V component.
The slippery road theory would be more plausible if it was't ongoing.

At least in my community, there would be grooves cut or clean-up or some traction control incorporated into the road if that was an ongoing problem, however, I do understand that vodka is a heck of a lot better than working on roadways in tunnels. Cheers.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Factors such as the surfacing of the road obviously will play a part, but looking at the video it looks to me like most of the people crashing were going a bit fast anyway. I don't know what the speed limit is on that stretch, not that that's always an indicator, there are some narrow roads with lots of blind corners near where I live which are national speed limit, which nobody could do safely on those roads even though I'm sure some people try.

But I digress, it's hard to tell because the accidents happen just after coming into view of the camera but they do mostly seem to be going faster than the other cars in the tunnel...

Couple speeding with the simple act of underestimating a bend and accidents will happen

A bit off topic but something that bugs me about that video though, watch around the 1 minute mark where there is an accident with the two trucks. Is it just me or does the second truck literally seem to appear out of nowhere!? It's like theres one truck moving along, he swerves to the left and rolls on his side, and then all of a sudden theres a second truck. Is there another road which joins the tunnel from the right side of the wall and it smashed into the side of the first truck from there?

The video quality is a bit rubbish so its hard to tell, but if not my eyes must be playing tricks on me, looks like an optical illusion!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What about the bit when the 2 lorries collide, notice the car indicating left?

That's annoying, he/she obviously has no intention of helping them, just wants to get past!

I'm not sure about paranormal, but looks more like speed + lack of awareness to me.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The slipping of cars is due to the fact that the roads are laid very smooth and the tyres cant get a grip on the road and it can be noticed in the video and when braking in damp or wet conditions it can cause skidding.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I have to agree with the above posters. Because the video does not detail the time of each incident, it is impossible to determine their frequency. This would be key to understanding if this is abnormal. For instance, I could loop recordings of accidents in any major city's tunnel, and it would appear to be unusual due to the sheer number I've presented. But if the recordings have been collected over months or years, it really isn't that common or noteworthy.

Also, there are innumerable mundane possibilities (e.g. road defect, malfunctioning vehicle).

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Some time ago, a resurface of major interstate occured nearby. Within a couple days, there were so many wrecks, they had to close it down due to some inadvertant substance slickening the road.

It seems logical that if in fact these tunnel incidents were frequent and the surface was the culprit, there would have been a resurfacing, menacing warning type signage, or other action taken to eliminate the roadway as cause.

If it is speed related, why would a bus be taking such a chance?

Also, regarding the scene with two trucks seemingly occupying the same space in the right lane was cause for me to review that portion multiple times. If Chris Angel popped out of the wreckage and levitated across the lanes, it would have at least gave me reason to believe it was a majik deception, but I am not convinced that it was an optical illusion caused by camera angle, speed, vehicle dimensions, etc...

Also, the car that slams the left curb and rolls didn't really seem to be going fast enough to cause such an event. Most vehicle have a low center of gravity and takes quit a bit of enertia to roll at least more than onto it's side.

I guess if the reverse pan was a blind sharp curve that relaxes into a sweeping gradual curve, that could cause overreaction of some drivers. Maybe they don't have to test or are too high on vodka.

top topics

join