It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden cost of the Olympics.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
is china really that evil as you portrayed in the eyes of the world?

Poll of 22 countries finds China Seen More Favorably Than US, Russia
www.globescan.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Worldwide, young people are much more prone to view China as benign. Among those 18-29 years old, a robust 58 percent view China positively, while this true of only 43 percent of those over 60. Those with lower levels of education are less apt to view China positively (45%) than are those with medium (51%) or high levels of education (52%). Interestingly, men are more trusting of China (53%) than are women (47%).

a nice demographic,young and educated people

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is nothing compared to the people displaced to make the venues, the number of people shipped out fo the capital, the restrictions placed on reporters.

And NBC is at best guilty of running a weeks long propaganda show that would have made Tokyo Rose or Lord Ha HA proud.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Targeting the Olympic "Sweatshops"

The Beijing Olympics is supposed to celebrate China's entry onto the world stage, a major exclamation point in this so-called Chinese Century. With 14 months to go, however, the Chinese government is playing defense against charges of unsportsmanlike conduct off the playing field. From accusations of supporting genocide in Darfur to repressing political dissent at home, most of the attacks have come from longtime critics of China who see the Games as a chance to advance their interests after years of getting nowhere with communist officials. And with the slogan for the games being "One World, One Dream," it may be difficult for the Olympic hosts to ignore the clamor from the rest of the globe.
www.time.com...

Nevermind the underage gymnasts eh? How about the underage workers

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
you dont have any poof to say that,that's totally sour grapes,it feels bad to be number two,eh?and the world opinion is not american opinion,the world sees china a more positive country than the states.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think the entire thing is VILE and HIDEOUS.

From the beginning I opposed this venue...and I have not watched a single second of any of it.

Here is more on the subject:

Millions forfeit water to Olympic Games

THOUSANDS of Chinese farmers face ruin because their water has been cut off to guarantee supplies to the Olympics in Beijing, and officials are now trying to cover up a grotesque scandal of blunders, lies and repression.

In the capital, foreign dignitaries have admired millions of flowers in bloom and lush, well-watered greens around its famous sights. But just 90 minutes south by train, peasants are hacking at the dry earth as their crops wilt, their money runs out and the work of generations gives way to despair, debt and, in a few cases, suicide.

In between these two Chinas stands a cordon of roadblocks and hundreds of security agents deployed to make sure that the one never sees the other.

The world is delusional if it thinks the Chinese government will ever become anything less than unreasonable.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

What I'm getting from this is that you approve of cheating, you approve of taking the water away from farmers, you approve of throwing people out of their homes, you approve of working young children like slaves and the environmental disaster in China is just OK with you.

We know you hate the US so you should abandon the nonsense and give us your feelings on the negatives being pointed out. Your hatred of the US has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is the treatment of Chinese citizens to put on a fake face for the world to hide the truth from the world.

I'll admit I drifted off topic. How about you stop with attacking the US to divert attention from the topic?

Is forced child labor right?
Is lying about athletes ages and cheating to win right?
Is taking water from farmers who are already in trouble from a drought right?
Is throwing people out of their homes for a sports event right?
Is hiding the fact most of the population of China is still near starvation and living in the dark ages right?
Is having no free press, no freedom of speech and manipulation of the Chinese people with false propaganda right?

Do you have the courage to answer those questions my Chinese friend?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
WARNING!!!! Disturbing images! Do not click on the link if you have weak stomach!

Link to story. Warning! Disturbing Photo
THEY STILL KILL BABY GIRLS IN CHINA, AND NO ONE CARES...
Life does not come much cheaper than this, this is what happens when you're not born a baby boy in China. China ' One Child Per Family' policy has become widely known since being introduced as a population control measure in 1979, but few people realise the extreme measures employed to enforce it in some regions. Some parents only crime was to have too many children -their punishment was to see their new-born baby snatched from their arms and killed. The pressure to have boys has resulted in millions of women aborting or "losing" female babies resulting in an imbalance between the sexes and a desperate shortage of partners and wives.

Please give us your thoughts on this?

I've got to get away from the computer for the moment. Sorry for posting this but people need to see it.

I waited for three hours and 40 minutes -the police still did not arrive. One lady put some thing to cover the baby. I was afraid that one of the big busses that were passing by may hit the baby. In the end an old man put the baby in a box and dumped it in a rubbish bin. Then the police came and they arrested me. I took some pictures because it was so terrible. Someone told the police and the police were more worried about my photographs than the baby. I was in the police station for one hour. They wanted all of my film and my identification papers. When I gave them some film they let me go."

[edit on 8/24/2008 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I just realized something.

Duh, of course he lies and says China is great. If he didn't he and his family would be executed.

It would be like arguing with an Iraqi about whether or not Saddam sucked. Of course he would say Saddam was great because if he didn't he'd be executed.

The only difference is China has more then a billion people and nuclear weapons.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

i doubt that very much

anyway haidian can you answer my question?

[edit on 24-8-2008 by purplemonkey]

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
we are talking about olympics,the biggest human event,people love it,and we won,you suffer sour grapes and are just a whole bunch of sore losers.

I was not aware that a country could "win" the Olympics? Individual events, yes, but the entire Olympics? Not quite.

China won many medals, as did the US, the UK and other nations........but we ALL also lost a few too.

Just thought i'd clear that up.

CX.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

Why do you make two identical post?. Why are you tying to flood this forum?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
see the world opinions about china and us,china in the eyes of the world is more positive than tha united states,that explains everything,as for your accusation,i really doubt about the athenticity of them,and i m not a spokesman for chinese government and not bound to anwser dumb questions.if you dig you can find many hideous stories about the us too,like "snitch"police stop teenager drivers and put drugs in their cars and arrested them,and teenagers working in sweatshops in the us,police brutality...but i dont really buy all of them.i m here to have fun ,and you think i would be executed if i speak against chinese government,that's ridiculous...the founding father of this republic maozedong was a very evil guy,i know i and some fellow chinese posters have huge difference on this,but i always insist that,and i believe communism is a deadend,it is going nowhere.but i also pointed out,this government got very high approval rate is because it does a great job develop the country's economy and pushing up people's living standard.this government is just in the name of communism in order to have the mandate to rule,but the essence had long been changed,china is more of a free market economy than many captialist countries,many study shows that.

but anyway i think we better stick to the topic,dont drift away further and completely derail the thread.let's come back to talk about the olympics.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
see the world opinions about china and us,china in the eyes of the world is more positive than tha united states,

I don't care if I'm the only person alive who believes your government is VILE and DESPICABLE.

I don't need an international poll to tell me what is wrong and what is right.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
ok,suit yourself,maybe you can find your place in the poll's category.the last paragraph.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

OK, on topic with the Olympics. How do you feel about the people who were displaced from their homes for a sports event. How do you feel about the discomfort to residents from the attempt to hide them and their world from the rest of the world. Any opinion on the cheating by the Chinese Government in lying about ages? Does that not forever stain the event. What will be foremost in history books in the future is the story of the disregard by the Chinese Government for the Chinese People and foremost the cheating. There is no pride in cheating, only shame.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
He already responded to the age question. The Government Controlled Media told him it was a lie.

Sure people outside of China know that THE OFFICIAL CHINESE GOVERNMENT LIST STATED THEM AS UNDERAGE JUST 4 MONTHS BEFORE THE OLYMPICS! but the Government Controlled Media says different now.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
CHINA HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF FOUR MEDALS FOR CHEATING! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! BECAUSE THEY LIED ABOUT THEIR AGE!

hosted.ap.org...

China really thought they could get away with it but were caught!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Moderators.

Can we stop this guy(Kriger) from flooding the forum with duplicate post?. He copies and post the same thing from thread to thread

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
somebody here may have reading problem ,where in the article says china has been stripped medals????????????????

and china is the leading country in the world to reduce poverty,and all world leadera expressed that china's olympic games is well deserved and it is a great success .some made up crazy claims we dont really need to care about,it is a great great success recognized by all countries.feel bad for london,the bar was raised to a very high level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join