It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden cost of the Olympics.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Your country used its own citizens as speed bumps for its tanks.

Your country has arrested and tortured people for handing out Bibles.

Your country has executed people for protesting the oppression of Tibet.

Not that you would know any of this as your media is controlled by the government.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Speed bumps. Excellent analogy. That is exactly why I have a problem with China.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Let's not forget non plus organ donors. It's a party over there.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

eh we can't all have the same views... that would be boring

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
uh,only you people believes that,your media is way more biased than chinese media,i have plenty of time staying in foreign countries and i know more than two languages so i can do the comparison bt chinese media and yours.the result is so clear,your media brainwashed to a level that you basically like to brainwash yourself.
i can make similiar accusations like
your country invaded many countries and killing and tortuing their people
your country have blatant racial discrimination against minorities
your country allow every body have guns to kill each other
your country put the world record number of people behind bars
we are talking about olympics,the biggest human event,people love it,and we won,you suffer sour grapes and are just a whole bunch of sore losers.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

Some people may believe you and your fellow Chinese Propagandist but I for one will read independent reports not relying on .. well frankly people like you.. the "all is well here, nothing to see, nothing to see, move along now.." crowd.

*all the Chinese propagandist began actively denouncing Chinese threads on this site at the same time during the road to the Olympics*

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well said purple monkey. Maybe in some other dimension we could actually be friends. Keep on keeping on.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
uh,ok,you can always blinded believe in your country's biased media,keep it up

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

So China has planted operatives here on ATS? Are you paid or one of the Aristocrats that rule China?

The rest of the world has satellites and access to information from many sources. You can't hide the brown clouds or the parched soil from satellites. Your smog occasionally finds its way to here in Alaska where I live. Were it not for your pollution reaching us on occasion we would not even know what it is like to experience it. It must be horrible to live within that permanent brown cloud created by your inefficient smog spewing coal plants built with early 1900's technology.

So what is your angle here. Money, power or what? Who monitors what you say? I can stand in the street and as long as I don't obstruct people or create a nuisance, call our President a giant pile of donkey crap and nothing will happen to me or my family. I can write on the Internet for the whole world to see horrible things about our government and nothing will happen to me. I can send the President an email complaining and nothing will happen to me. Are you with a straight face saying you have the same freedoms in China?

If China is in fact as free as you say and as progressive as you claim, why are Tourists so limited in where they can go. What are you hiding? Why are you hiding it? Why are reporters limited on where they can go and I ask again, what are you hiding?

When you visit here you can go anywhere you want and see for yourself what it is like here. You can do the same anywhere in the Western Democratic World. Our poor have more than most people on the planet. Even our homeless can eat multiple hot meals a day and find a warm shelter at night. Nobody here is hungry except by choice.

We have plenty of Chinese Immigrants here so you are truly wasting your time. They have no problem telling us all about China and its issues. They no longer have to live in fear and can speak freely because they escaped that hell hole. Perhaps you are one of the rich and powerful and your government has hidden the majority of China from you so you can tell these lies with a straight face. Or you could just be a troll.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
uh,you have people told you what is like in china,and i 've been to your countries many times and saw everything for myself,dont boast everybody can find a nice place at night,you've got to be kidding,did you ever go to miami and under a lot of bridges,my my goodness,it was so stinky.people huddle to live under the bridges.i have my first hand experience living in both countries,i m not saying china is better,of course us is more developed,that's the only reason it attracts a lot of people around the world,but not for so called democracy,why didnt people go to india to get democracy.i didnt feel any more sense of freedom when i was in the states and many people there constantly worry about their safety when going out at night,that is what hurt people most other than so called democracy.

china needs to develop,that's the fundimental priority.america is in no position to criticize china when it has millions of misconducts both at home and abroad.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

I go to Miami every Christmas Vacation. The people under the bridges are a mixture of the mentally ill, sexual predators who can't live anywhere else and drug addicts and alcoholics. Yes we have our problems but we cause them ourselves.

When you were here, if you ever were, you were not restricted in were you could go or what you could see. Nobody from the government followed you around and told you where you could and could not go. If you choose to describe America by the tiny part of our population who choose to live in squalor and poverty so be it. Drug addiction and alcoholism are the primary cause and it is by free choice they live that way.

Tell the rest of the story. Tell how the vast majority of the population here lives as a result of our having basic human rights you do not have in China unless you are one of the ruling class. Tell about the modern technology we have enjoyed for more than a century. Tell about how our poor can manage to pay monthly rent on apartments that is more than most of your population earns in an entire year. Tell about the endless fields of fruit trees, vegetables and livestock. Tell about how we have brought pollution under control and how it gets even more beautiful as the years go by. Tell about our schools and how anyone, no matter how poor can get a good education if they wish too. Tell how anyone can go to college with government guaranteed loans, grants and scholarships.

Again I ask - why are tourists and reporters limited on what parts of China they can visit and what exactly are you hiding from the world? If you can afford to take vacations to the US you must be part of the ruling class so you should know? Cough it up. What is China trying to hide from the world. Of course these questions are rhetorical as we know the answers. Too many of your oppressed have escaped to a good life in the West.

[edit on 8/23/2008 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
uh,i can afford to travel to the states means i belong to the ruling class??if you say that there is no point debating with you,you are so brainwashed.thousands of people travel to the us in china each year,many students study in the us,probably more than any other countries.you are soooo narrow mindede to believed people can travel to the states must belong to the ruling class.

and life in the states is not easy as you said,many americans can afford to go to the doctors and some of them even went up to canada to seek medical help,america is not a welfare country.and dont call people live on the street are sex pervert or something,that's very insulting,you dont know all how could you generalize them like that?

america is a developed country,people make more money than most other places in this world,i never denied that.and i m telling you that is the reason people go there to live,not for freedom ,but for money.china in that case is still far behind the united states,that'why the top priority in china is to develop the economy and push up people's living standard and that is exactly what this government is doing and doing pretty well,got the credit for that from most people home and abroad.

america has many issues need to be dealt with both home and abroad,it should focus more on their own issues in stead of always trying to pose nose into other countries business,that is why in many polls around the world america is regarded the biggest threat to the world peace.and america has to think again about what are the right things to do.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

I admit I was fishing for who you are and what your motives are for being a Chinese Propagandist. Who you are might explain why you are unwilling to discuss the problems in China caused by lack of freedom and your oppressive government. We are more than happy to air our grievances about our bad apples. We can vote them out of office. You can not. It is different. China could be as developed as we are had you just risen up and taken back your country from your dictatorial rulers.

I'm right about the Street People. I know I was once one of them for a time. Most are drug addicts and alcoholics, some sadly are just mentally ill. I was a drug addict. I even became a licensed counselor for a while and worked for a rescue mission trying to help people who fell into that trap. The sexual predators are forced to live that way because our laws won't allow them to live near schools or children. I recently watched a report about Florida that featured the growing number of them living under bridges in the Miami area.

Lets take a look at the price your citizens have paid in addition to not having basic human rights. China is a far older country and should be way ahead of us. The United States is very young.

According to the International Monetary Funds figures for 2007:

China's GDP was $3,250,827,000,000.00.
US GDP was $13,843,825,000,000.00

Populations at the end of 2007 were:

China 1,325,693,000
US 304,943,000

GDP per population:

China $2,452.00
US $45,398.00

There is no way, with these numbers, a huge portion of the Chinese population is not near starvation and living in squalor. It is just not possible. The question is why is such an old country so far behind the Free Western World? The key word here is FREE.

Humans when left to their own devices in a free society flourish. Under a Dictatorial Government without basic freedoms they fail to flourish. Under a Free Society a Middle Class is developed and opportunity abounds. Under a society that is not free, only the elite have wealth, there is no middle class and the best example of that in history IS China.

We have problems, but they only affect a small part of our population. If you are basing your beliefs on ATS you should not.

Medical Care -

Any person here can walk into any hospital that receives Federal Funding and get emergency care immediately. They can also get general health care if they qualify. Only those who can afford to pay themselves can not qualify. If a person truly can not afford to pay, there are programs that pay for them. Many Americans lie about this and I don't know why. Perhaps they don't want to admit to poverty out of pride or they don't want to admit they dropped out of school or got into drugs or drinking. Who knows.

At a GDP per capita of $2,452.00, China can not possibly have adequate medical care for most Chinese Citizens. It is not possible. Is that one of the things being hidden from tourists and reporters? China would have to spend every penny it has on medical care to match what we have here in our little 300 year old country.

We as Americans love to whine and to complain about our politics. Most of the conspiracy nonsense here on ATS is as overblown as it sounds. None of us here are being monitored and no government agent is going to knock on or down our door because of our discussions here. That is paranoid nonsense. Anyone who gets there door kicked in is to protect others from them or stop them from committing a crime.

Another reason our system works is we are a Nation of Justice and we have an, albeit not perfect, great system of justice. We are innocent until PROVED Guilty and we must be convicted by our Peers before we can be imprisoned. We would rather have guilty person go free than imprison a innocent man. It's not perfect and it does not always work, but it is far better than the Communist world has ever seen.

Our government could never get away with throwing people out of their family homes, taking water from people who are already thirsty or hiding things they don't want seen just for the Olympics. WE THE PEOPLE will not allow it.

What you, the Chinese have yet to figure out is your Government and Military are weak compared to the power of your citizens joined together. They would fold in a day were your entire population to stand up to them. Eventually you will as education is the quickest way to end an oppressive government. Eventually your people with get tired of living in starvation and poverty while you watch a select few enjoy a good life. You may not be of the ruling class but you are one of the select few. Tickets from China to the US are not cheap. You are obviously very wealthy by Chinese standards. You must be in the top couple of percent.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
hey haidien would you mind posting some links to a chinese media sites (as in mainstream media in china) that openly portray the chinese central government in a negative light? or any article that openly critises the chinese central government.

thanks

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hi guys I am from japan I know china, our neighbor country, very well
china is a huge contry his population is 1.3 billion and 0.8 billion are farmers , in north china it is a drought place has no enough water everyone know this situation, the situation has kept hundred years but in south china the rainfall is too much to be suffured therefore the government planed to drow the water from south to north it is a very huge project, it has taken 10 years to carry out the project many people bennifit from it of course, some people has not benefit from that so their words was pick by journalist to show us this is china. so funny some one believed it there is not freedom press in the world all the press were controlled by government or the money sorry for my inferior english

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

The Olympics are not to blame. The modern system is to blame. What that article describes is something minor compared to other stuff going on.

See this :
www.storyofstuff.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think people are forgetting the main thing here, and have turned this into a USA Vs. China debate. Both your countries suck, if I must say so myself.

Pride is a powerful thing, and both sides have to swallow it, and be truthful to themselves and to others. If anyone attacks the US...they get abused verbally. However, this is the case with patriotism and most people defending their homes and where they grew up. If someone attacked Trinidad in such a sense...and they are right, I will not fight them down. I can say to myself and to the world honestly, I despise Trinidad and can not wait to get the hell out of here. But, I won't be coming to China, or the US of A. US? What do they mean by US? United by one mind, but divided by blood.

It's not all rainbows and holding hands and skipping all the time. Every place has it's negative. Do not attack one's country and defend yours in a biased manner.

We're not kids in a sandbox here, we're grown, thinking folk. At least, I hope that we are grown, thinking folk. Me, I'm not biased...the whole world sucks...that goes for your homeland too...whoever you are.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I saw this on TV the other night. Very sad. China needs to be brought up at the UN for this, little good it would do....But the Chinese are big on "saving face" kind of thing. Better than doing nothing.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The cost of the Olympics has been handing it to a grotesque regime that can't stand one iota of criticism.

The crowds weren't allowed to chant, and I rarely saw any other nation's flag except for China's.

The couple of protestors are still locked up, and two old ladies that applied to protest in the designated protest parks are facing 'discipline' if they cause any more 'trouble'.

Total farce.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

It's not all rainbows and holding hands and skipping all the time. Every place has it's negative. Do not attack one's country and defend yours in a biased manner.

i totally agree on that,actually according to various international poll,us is beinng regarded as the top thread to the world peace in most countries.china isnt.china now is on the fast track to develop economy,and kept double digit growth for more than two decades,the fastest and longest in the world,i dont see so called democratic country can develop this fast,india is our neighbour.used to be better than china in economy.anyway every country has its unique situation and culture,first we should learn to respect other countries and culture.and this olympics showed no country can always stay on top.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join