It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden cost of the Olympics.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I've been following the Olympics with great interest recently, and have been proud of the British teams medal haul, indeed all of the teams have been a pleasure to watch.

However reading this article this morning made me feel somewhat different about the great show that we are being treated to.

"There's no water to grow my crops," he said, gesturing towards a field of corn stalks.

"Because of the drought, my plants won't grow. I put in a well with a pump, but with the drought I can't even get any water from that."

The local river - once a torrent - has dried up. It's now a landfill where local women sift through piles of waste plastic.

But, unbelievably, water is being diverted from this area to Beijing.

Source: Hidden cost of the Olympics

I know things are not great in China, so i'm not saying i've been watching the games with blinkers on, however i think it's good to have a little reminder of what these games in particular are doing to the Chinese people as a result.

Kind of puts me off watching now, and do have to wonder about how the athletes feel moraly about all the extravagance that has been laid on for them?

CX.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Like everything else in this world, people will turn a blind eye to it all. The athletes are probably totally ignorant to it all and it's most likely by choice as well. Why would they want to ruin their Olympic experience?

Sad but true unfortunately, A lot of these athletes are in a position to be very influential about the situation, they could do something about it, couldn't they?

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
China is not notable for it's humanitarian ingenuity. But of perception and perceived goodness. Sans the 'cute' girl lip sinking song.
I was apalled at the farmers getting bully clubbed over the rift of chemical spills ruining farms.
Tianamen square.
Not a place you want to cause waves.
And live to a ripe old age.

[edit on 8/23/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The Olympics should be devoid of political overtone. Let the players play..and let the best man/woman win.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think its outragous how many ignore what the chinese goverment has done to its own people, they make their people make out there very happy while theres snipers on top buildings in major cities and towns watching their citizens.

dose anyone have links to the on goings in china, any links of the genocide there

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
And people in my topic think I'm just suffering sour grapes when I say the athletes have probably been told win or die. And the judges told give them medals or either the judges or athletes will suffer. And being good men and women the judges consent not wanting the lives of the athletes on their hands.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ahh China is coming along nicely, evolving into a country like USA.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

And people in my topic think I'm just suffering sour grapes when I say the athletes have probably been told win or die.

you must be daydreaming,chinese athletes took part in many olympics and won some events but as it is usual the case,lost more events.and they are still famous and respected in china.no even one case shows they were mistreated back home,and this olympics we also have so many athletes failed,including liuxiang,he pulled out of the hurdle race,so you think anything unpleasant will happen to them?even chinese vice president wrote a letter to him saying health is more important than anything,it is not a big deal.i have to say there are lot of crazy sounding people here.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
and check this out

Chinese most contented people in the world
www.upiasiaonline.com...

chinese people gave this government a very high approval rate ,with the fast development of the economy and increase of wealth ,stable social enviornment and peaceful life,the result is very obvious.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
and check this out

Chinese most contented people in the world
www.upiasiaonline.com...

chinese people gave this government a very high approval rate ,with the fast development of the economy and increase of wealth ,stable social enviornment and peaceful life,the result is very obvious.

I wonder if they spoke to any of the people who's water supply has dried up?

Surveys are such poor, contrived means of information.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

But the U.S. Olympic Committee's top officials concede there's no realistic hope to win the gold medal count. With more than 80% of the medals awarded, the USA is second with 29 golds, and Britain is a distant third, with 17.

USOC CEO Jim Scherr says he knew the Chinese would have a significant impact on the medals race but admiringly adds, "The magnitude of the improvement has been a little bit of a surprise." "They've broken through in some sports that we thought it would be very hard for them to win medals in," Scherr says. For any American fan who is disturbed that the USA will fail to reap the most golds at a Summer Olympics for the first time since 1992, there's a ready-made excuse.

The defeat is occurring primarily because China is overwhelmingly superior in four sports that are considered relatively minor in the USA: badminton, diving, weightlifting and table tennis. In those sports, China holds a whopping 20-0 advantage in golds through Thursday's competitions.

That provides no solace, however, for USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth. "We better learn how to develop real teams in ping-pong and badminton and some other sports where they dominate," Ueberroth says. Ueberroth played a role in China's Olympic development when he was president of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Organizing Committee. Ueberroth helped persuade the Chinese to field their first Olympic team, rather than join a Soviet Union-led boycott of the Los Angeles Games.

Training pays off

Putting China's rapid rise in perspective, Ueberroth references the silver and bronze medals China won in women's beach volleyball Thursday and says, "They didn't know what the sport was 10 years ago."

Ueberroth adds that it's not just the USA that's losing ground to the Chinese: "They're taking it out of the hides of the rest of the world."

That's particularly true in men's gymnastics, in which China won one gold in Athens in 2004 but won eight in Beijing between the artistic and trampoline competitions.

"In 10 years, we have achieved what European and North American countries worked on for 40 to 50 years," boasts Hu Xinggang, coach of trampoline gold medalist Lu Chunlong.

But Ueberroth contends that overall the Beijing Olympics have changed the stereotype of Chinese athletes being burdened and pressure-driven. "The thing I think you can see in the faces of Chinese athletes is they're having fun out there," Ueberroth says.

Ueberroth is concerned there could be a wide medals gap by the time of the 2012 Olympics in London, where he expects China to be the first nation to qualify athletes in every sport.

"By the time of the London Games, there will be nothing uncontested" by the Chinese, Ueberroth says. "It's not just us; the rest of the Olympic movement needs to salute them."

see what your sports chief says

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
even they survey those people,it is a small number.you can not cover everybody in a survey,you think you can do that in the states?that's a us based polling agency.there must be a bunch of people are not happy with this government,in the states,it is the same.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
japanese economic take off started from 1964 tokyo olympics and 1988 seoul olympics jumped started korean economy.the huge potential benifits that the olympics can bring about to a country is tremendous,that's why so many countries fight ferociously to host it each time.china in the long run will benifit a lot from this event.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I remember a documentary decades ago of a chinese volleyball team. I think '60 minutes'. And watched the coach wail on players with a volleyball for a botched play while they cowered in a fetal position.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I like how someone from China thinks they know what's really going on. Your media is so controlled and censored I'm surprised you're even allowed on here. You better hurry and say Chairman Mao is God in every post or they'll get you. Seriously, in China not worshipping Mao will get you tortured. Hell, hitting on the daughter of the secretary to the current chairman can get you tortured. They don't exactly have laws like America, England, so forth have. They can just arrest you, torture you, kill you, and not even tell your family they arrested you.

But yeah, you know better then people who don't have guns pointed at their head being forced to report whatever the CHinese Government wants reported.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
I like how someone from China thinks they know what's really going on. Your media is so controlled and censored I'm surprised you're even allowed on here. You better hurry and say Chairman Mao is God in every post or they'll get you. Seriously, in China not worshipping Mao will get you tortured. Hell, hitting on the daughter of the secretary to the current chairman can get you tortured. They don't exactly have laws like America, England, so forth have. They can just arrest you, torture you, kill you, and not even tell your family they arrested you.

But yeah, you know better then people who don't have guns pointed at their head being forced to report whatever the CHinese Government wants reported.

Your "free media" really tell you these about China?
interesting

[edit on 23-8-2008 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You know how they enforce the one baby rule? Forced abortions. And if you somehow get around that you know what they do? As the baby is being born, when the head pops out, they shove a needle of fermyldahyde(spelling?) into it and kill it as it is coming out.

But yeah, they are so civilized...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Forced abortions. Ya. I remember reading of a woman who met her death at the end of a four story fall for having....jimminey...three babies. That is what gets my goat about China.
I'd be first in line for the firing squad in tienamen square.
The oligarchy regime is repressive and strife.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

believe nothing you read and only half of what you see

its all propaganda... everything from the chinese to american news, it is designed to manipulate and control... fear being the best kind

[edit on 23-8-2008 by purplemonkey]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
No. I believe just fine. I believe China represses its populace. Calculates its progeny. And burns anyone who stands in the way. Purple Monkey. I am so sorry I took you off of iggy. You still irritate me to no end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join