It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental health issues abound on ATS

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

There are also numerous schizoid and borderline psychopathic personalities here, easily identified by their violent avatars and wildly intolerant, frequently murderous views.

Important reservation: members who are male and under the age of twenty often favour violent avatars and views, but they're not crazy, they just haven't grown up yet. It's the ones still broadcasting aggro years after the hormone-springs of adolescence have stopped pumping who need to be watched.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Lasheic

That's... not... what science is.

Tell me pls WHAT science is according you. Science is not only collecting lots of data, it’s research and before the research starts there is 1 big Q and many sub Q’s. Depending on WHAT you want to know and what your Q’s are, there will be an outcome.

How can you explain otherwise that researchers who have researched and tested something, sometimes do come up with totally different outcomes?

So IMAO for Science one uses the Brain, with help from Logical thinking / deduction / comparing outcomes to gather hopefully hard evidence.

The heart is not a sensory organ. There is absolutely no data to show that it is. Remove their heart... and, well assuming you can keep them alive, nothing will change.

Remove their heart? Nothing will change? OK NOW ya got my attention. Thank G*d there is NO data in a heart!
What I meant with ‘ sensation’ is ‘ feeling’. Not the feelings or sensations that one gets through the motorial and sensitive nerves.
“ Spirituality in a narrow sense, concerns itself with matters of the spirit, a concept closely tied to religious belief and faith, a transcendent reality, or one or more deities. Spiritual matters are thus those matters regarding humankind's ultimate nature and purpose, not only as material biological organisms, but as beings with a unique relationship to that which is perceived to be beyond both time and the material world. Spirituality also implies the mind-body dichotomy, which indicates a separation between the body and soul.” (source: Wikipedia ; en.wikipedia.org... )
It’s simply impossible to prove how someone perceives his/hers Spirituality. For example: there is NO (hard) evidence for your or my Spirituality. Maybe only some indications for it when one looks to someone else’s actions / behavior. And even that is debatable.
God-Center stimulator helmet??? Great innovation
How did the test go?
Here is the aswer:
“ Unfortunately, during the experiment, while Prof Dawkins had some strange experiences and tinglings, none of them prompted him to take up any new faith. "It was a great disappointment," he said. "Though I joked about the possibility, I of course never expected to end up believing in anything supernatural. But I did hope to share some of the feelings experienced by religious mystics when contemplating the mysteries of life and the cosmos."
“Dr Persinger has explained away the failure of this Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator. Before donning the helmet, Prof Dawkins had scored low on a psychological scale measuring proneness to temporal lobe sensitivity.” Source: www.telegraph.co.uk.../connected/2003/03/19/ecfgod119.xml
When the test results aren’t satisfying enough, it’s easy to blame the equipment, test ‘ testee’ or hide behind another new theory ‘ it’s in the genes’.
Adam & Atom: www.kabbalah.com...=life/science

Providing a source which most users won't be able to read for another 2 to 3 years isn't helpful.

You got a point there. On the other hand IF I REALLY wanted to a transcription of a certain text I would ask around till I find someone who would be willing to help me.

Any reputable links? I've never heard of any quantum physicist who uses the Zohar/Kabbalah as a reference in their research papers. I've never heard of a discovery in Quantum Mechanics being derived from a reading of these books.

“ Kabbalah teaches that the universe began not with an atom or a subatomic particle, but with a thought of God.” www.kabbalah.info...

To watch: Kabbalah Video : "Perceiving Reality"
www.kabbalah.info...
“ For thousands of years Kabbalists have been writing that the world is made of a single entity divided into separate beings. Today the cutting-edge science of quantum physics states very similarly, that at the most fundamental level of matter, we are all literally one.
Science comes home to spirituality - at last
TEL AVIV, July 31 (UPI) - Science explains the mechanisms that sustain life; Kabbalah explains why life exists. In his new book, Kabbalah, Science and the Meaning of Life, Rav Michael Laitman, Kabbalist and scientist, combines science and spirituality in a captivating dialogue that reveals life's meaning. www.squidoo.com...
Part I: Kabbalah Meets Quantum Physics (free audio’s) www.kabbalahblog.info...
“ In the 1930s, another theory emerged: Quantum Mechanics, also known as Quantum Theory. This spurred an ongoing revolution in physics whereby all measurements yielded only approximate, quantitative results, probabilities that Quantum Theory calculations would interpret.
Quantum Theory was able to describe several phenomena that could not be explained by preceding theories. The most famous of these was wave-particle duality, showing that microscopic objects such as electrons behave as waves under some conditions, and as particles under others.
A fundamental concept of Quantum Theory is the Uncertainty Principle, which maintains that the observer affects the observed event. Hence, the key question is, "What do the measurements actually measure?" This principle implies that the concept of an "objective process" becomes irrelevant. Moreover, beyond the measured results, an "objective reality" simply cannot exist.
The discoveries of Quantum Physics drastically changed scientists' approach. The deterministic concept that maintained that physics revealed objective facts of nature and described their absolute existence was dismissed.
It was replaced by an understanding that physics does not know the true essence of nature. Physics can only assist in building paradigms, patterns, and formulae that calculate results of an experiment within a certain boundary of probabilities. “
“Dr. Satinover, who represents the perspective of quantum physics, opened the discussion by disagreeing with the link made between quantum theory and spirituality in What the Bleep Do We Know!? He immediately drew a line between the two worlds - physical and spiritual - saying that while modern quantum theory invites one to spiritual questioning, it cannot say anything about the spiritual realm. “
“Satinover's and Laitman's discussions came into contact on the point of everything boiling down to our perception. They also agreed on a spiritual reality existing beyond a certain boundary. Whilst Satinover described quantum theory's inability to analyze beyond this boundary, Laitman first described the boundary - the five senses - then introduced Kabbalah as the area of research which delves into this hidden arena. Quantum theory expresses something of a limit of enquiry in the five senses, while Kabbalah doesn't deal with the five senses at all, offering instead a method to develop the sixth sense. “

“ Search for Meaning in Life: www.kabbalahbooks.info...
‘ The task belonging to humanity is to achieve a balanced and harmonious integration of these two universes. We must be aware of that part of ourselves that was born into chaos, while remembering at the same time that the greater, the more significant part of ourselves belongs to the unified whole. In this way, the individual preserves his independence and capacity for exercising free will, while at the same time remaining connected with the single all-pervasive Force.
Existing simultaneously within these two parallel universes, we face the challenge of not falling victim to the illusions and the chaos inherent in the linear universe. This process becomes a matter of changing perspective and consciousness. In other words, we create our own reality by altering our consciousness. By doing so, the illusions of the linear universe disappear.
"Physicists are limited because studying relationships of physical matter is based on repetition of experiments in a laboratory," Dr. Kaku points out. Therefore, an unexplainable occurrence, such as a miracle, cannot be proved or taken apart by scientists because the event cannot be contained in a lab or repeated. However, this does not mean miracles do not happen; it just means that physicists cannot provide an explanation for them because science has restricted itself to the physical realm, or the world of effects. “
Meet the superstring. The superstring theory is the current attempt to unify these two theories into one coherent picture. However, because each theory uses different mathematics and different physical principles to describe the universe, unifying the theories poses the greatest challenge facing physicists today. The parallels between the superstring theory and Kabbalah's explanation for a multi-dimensional construction of the universe are astounding. Or as Dr. Kaku, a leading proponent of the superstring theory, says, "The similarities are eerie." www.kabbalah.info...

This is what I'm getting at when I say that there are not multiple versions of the truth, but rather only one truth - but multiple views and interpretations of it.

I understand what you mean by that kind of truth. But even by studying evidence later on ppl can make mistakes. Do not forget that there are ppl who have been sent to jail only to find out years later they were innocent. So called ‘ evidence’ or ‘ facts’ can be manipulated or even falsified.

What I mean with Truth is HOW we sense a deeper Truth, a Knowledge that every individual carries inside. Every single human is an unique species with their own way of looking at Truth.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Thanks for your kind words . . .

I have an increasing concern . . . that given various scenarios vis a vis globalism, NWO etc. . . .

The average 'craziness' currently so abroad in the land . . . seems all cocked and set to escalate geometrically.

Of course, my wholesale bias is Evangelical/Pentecostal Christianity. God alone is my refuge etc. Whether I live or die, I have confidence of being eternally with Him.

As Jean Paul Satre asserted, for the finite to have meaning, it must have a viable connection with the infinite.

Many folks have no such connection with anything resembling the infinite. The closest they seem able to get to an infinite anything is fantasizing about an infinite high, an infinite orgasm, an infinite bank account etc.

Those kinds of foci, obsessions, set of fantasies are not likely to be of great comfort in coming traumas.

I believe that one overriding and underlying universal law is WE REAP WHAT WE SOW. I think this will be particularly crucial to keep in mind and more importantly, in action, in coming great changes.

I have still found at 61 years an plenty of horrific traumas--some my own doing and some as mostly a victim of others' craziness--that LOVING GOD AND LOVING OTHERS are the two highest priorities of existence.

Regardless . . . CHOOSING TO BE LOVING in coming crises will be a lot better even temporarily and certainly ultimately than being bitter, vengeful, wildly violent etc.

Nothing else makes sense, to me.

Certainly, if one wants to connect with constructive folks for mutual protection and support--loving and the capacity to convincingly manifest loving attitudes, actions and vibes will be priceless. And pretending will likely not convince many for long.

THEREFORE,

GET TO PRACTICING . . . yeah, well, I suppose one can well and lovingly practice that, too. but at some point, one has to get out of bed and wash the dishes, cook some grub, shelter from the rain.

Selfishness, self-serving sex and any other selfishness will increasingly carry costs that are beyond most folks capacities to pay, any longer.

And once one is in the midst of chaos, it's likely too late to be an Olympic gold medalist at PhD level survival LOVING.

The time to practice is NOW.

Love when it hurts. Love when it's costly.

Love means putting the other person's growth, advancement, welfare, safety, pleasure, ahead of our own . . .

with the caveat that if we don't take care of ourselves, we won't be able to love anyone else.

PEOPLE ARE PRECIOUS.

Even the most miserable, mangled, ATTACHMENT DISORDERED, ABUSED piece of human garbage rejected by both parents and all relatives and society . . . whimpering or raging in the corner or on main street . . . somewhere under the crud . . . is still precious.

Avoid PRESUMING too much from appearances--either good or bad. Evil can be very pretty. Gold hearted loving human treasures of individuals can be hidden under a lot of dirt and unconventionality.

When in doubt, ask God to show you the way, the truth, safety, hope, food. Then be ready to hear, listen, act accordingly.

Just please keep in mind . . .

attempting to save one's self out of mindless brazen selfishness, hate, bitterness, vengeance, violence . . . will likely end up resulting in the greatest losses, the most eternal losses.

Loving selflessly . . . sacrificially, will pay the biggest dividends.

. . . in the short term and certainly in the long term.

It's not always easy to love at a maximum level, by far.

It is always worth it.

Life flows out of Love.

Death flows out of lack of love.

May we all walk better today in loving ways than yesterday.

May we all be better able day by day to meet the horrific challenges ahead in courageously, toughly loving ways.

Blessings,
God is Love in action because it is His nature.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

[I don't think it is just on this site.I personally believe it is prevalent in our society to a much farther extent than known.]

I agree 100 % with that statement ...
And see it everywhere I go ...well even in my own household and neighbors friends you name it ..
I see it getting worse and worse every day ..and more and more ..even sane people are losing it ..so much going on ..so many problems ..so much ...at some point we all have a breaking point I believe ..Even some of us really strong ones ..all it takes to break me is my 20 year old making bad mistakes ..then I am like mush and I cry for him in my bed at night .....and feel so like giving up ....and I feel his pain he feels inside ...and his frustraition at himself ...because I have been him before ...and I didnt forget what it feels like ....and you know the consequinces are gonna be harsh for him ..then I go into protect mode ..all of that turns me into a very emotional person ...and that drives me up a wall to feel like that ....
I actually feel everyones pain ...and it gets to me too ...I just wanna help everyone change their lives (from being in so much pain and misery) I want to hug them and really show them how much I care that they are hurting and I wish I could fix everything with just a prayer ..but sometimes they need to go through what they do just to learn .and I dont get my prayer ..that is hard to take too .....everyone just needs love to make it all better ...so thats all I have to give and hopefully it makes their world slightly better

enough rambling ..I am off for a break...

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Wow. For you to have seen my quote of you, you must have read the entire thread.
Thanks for all your kind words Dr. Your words were inspirational.

Since you achieved the highest level of your field, can you tell me of any "mental issues" or "diseases" that are associated with daily semi to full out of body experiences? Or maybe just a numbness of hands or parts of a body?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
The Unpalatable Truth

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
Science is not only collecting lots of data, it’s research

'Research' is a word that means 'collecting lots of data'.

How can you explain otherwise that researchers who have researched and tested something, sometimes do come up with totally different outcomes?

If the same experimental procedures are followed but different results are obtained each time, there is something wrong with the experimental design or the procedure. Identical experiments identically performed under identical conditions will always produce identical results.

I'm afraid the person you're bashing is quite right. You don't understand what science is. And if you think there are different truths in the world and all of them are equally true, you don't understand what truth is, either.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
The Unpalatable Truth

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
Science is not only collecting lots of data, it’s research

'Research' is a word that means 'collecting lots of data'.

If the same experimental procedures are followed but different results are obtained each time, there is something wrong with the experimental design or the procedure. Identical experiments identically performed under identical conditions will always produce identical results.

I'm afraid the person you're bashing is quite right. You don't understand what science is. And if you think there are different truths in the world and all of them are equally true, you don't understand what truth is, either.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Astyanax]

Thx for the lecture on science!
it's quite clarifying

Research means in Dutch also ' zoeken' to seek /find what happens during the whole process, NOT only focus on the outcome.

IF experiments are indeed identically performed underpreciously identical conditions, there is indeed an identical outcome. That is Math and all that

I didn't mean to bash anyone, just giving my opinion and trying to make other ppl think out of their own boxes

Indeed I believe there are multiple truths, as many as there are mulitiple dimensions. It depends from which angle one looks. Holding on to the Truth(s) you already know is comfy, connecting with others and trying to look at things their way is mabye scary but it's worth the try.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

To deem people as mentally ill if they claim to be abducted is absurd.

What else would you call it when someone claims to have been taken aboard a space craft and experimented on. I call it insane because of the fact that it seems that greys abduct americans more than they do anyone else. The reason is that the greys are more popular in america and have become a pop icon. Where as in south america....their culture is flooded with strange rituals and creatures, when they get abducted they get abducted by weird looking creatures that donlt even come close to the greys. What I am saying is this; depending on where you live or what your brain has been flooded with, those are the aliens you will be abducted by. Your brain creates false memories of abduction by whatever is popular at the moment or the culture of that country. Look around....you will see that abduction cases differ from country to country and that the alien species differ also.

you don't see any irony here?

none at all?

what about your UFO experiences?

it may be more of a mainstream topic these days - to some extent

and here at ATS - you're swimming in a great big pool of "normal"

but, still plenty of "sane" people on the outside who think we're all nuts :-)

pointing fingers and casting stones - at the mentally ill?

even if you could accurately define the target - it's still bigotry

[edit on 9/1/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If people experience ghosts and Alien experiences how can they be mad. If that is what they think they experienced does not mean they are crazy and Interpretation comes into play. Like someone sees lights in the sky, some one says it was a helicopter another says it was a UFO and the arguement is boarderline.

The only crazy ones are the ones faking it and are so deep into faking something that they find them selves in a dream world. That is the difference from my point of view.

Even if there are chemical imbalances or chemical driven fantasies through drugs, does not always prove the experience is fake either. You can still pose 3 questions. It's not real its the imagination. It's misinterpreted or its not real but it seems real to them. Either way you can not prove something like this unless you experience it your self, and when you do you will find that when you thought people were mad you end up trying to explain to those very sceptics you agreed with so much.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thanks. Maybe in addition to irony, karma and maybe eventually hypocrisy if OP makes any paranormal claims.

reply to post by The time lord

That is definitely a slightly different view than my own but I can see what you are saying.

The problem is the interpretations correlate to opinion and they vary between person to person (this is obvious). Then, not to mention, the argument of truth comes into play and we may get caught up in that dispute.

OVERALL:

I will not say this again but anyone reading who disagrees with me or the posters I replied to in this entire thread must understand everything is relative. "Everything is relative" is becoming ever so trite so I am done saying it.

Even if by some minute chance that what I am stating is fallible, we can all at least respect, sympathize, and have compassion for one another.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It is well enough documented in prophetic writtings that toward the end of the old cycle mankind would go a little crazy. Biblically it's written that it would be "like the days of Noah". This is a throw back to obsession with "reptilian" controling mankind and such, and it is mirrored in today's society.

Although I could be one of those one's you percieve as making crazy claims, I'm not. There's no way for me to show anyone this. However I'd like to share what it's given me as a perspective. You and everyone believe what it is they want to believe. You only see truth in that which you're willing to accept and this only leads to more confusion within you.

In this world, we are detached from the whole, and this leads to confusion of mind unless you're driven to see the absolute truth. At that, one might easily argue that "crazy" isn't a state others find themselves IN. Maybe "Crazy" is something everyone within mankind needs to work OUT from. This could be the darkness, in fact it is the darkness.

Basicly, there are many types of people on this board. I for one know the reality of what it is I've said about myself. I believe I present most of my threads in a very clear cut and logical sense of mind. I would hope this would show my mind state to be well grounded to say the least. However, I am in full realitzation that others don't see that which I show. Others tend to see what it is they want to see. This includes you.

To be awakened you must see past that which you want to see. You must therefore want to see the upmost truth in a matter. I understand where the OP is coming from. There's alot of confusion going around these days. Being a little in the confusion you might want to point at others that are way confused to feel better about yourself. However your attempts of claims of being normal show, along with your icon, that you're right there in the ATS MIX.

Everyone I see is trying to figure it all out. There's alot of scrapts of info with many holes. The mind likes to try to fill in the holes with things it understands. Such stemming of understandings by the confused masses show where each mind's set is at.

Again, maybe you all should take that fat little pointy greezed finger, that seems so well placed to point at others, and turn it around to reflect upon yourselves, or at least stand in front of a mirror while pointing outwardly.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

May I first ask, who is the post directed towards? Me?

Then maybe I can see if I will repsond.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

A wonderful case in point both for the OP and for my responce. Do you think I address you out of a case of parranoia or out of a case of self ego assumption that all responces in a given time must be addressed to you?

However at least you asked instead of making false assumptions. This is a sure sign of seaking clarity and understanding shared reality.

My responce was in major part directed toward the OP (Original Poster) (aka the one that started the thread.) and it should have been taken as such. However it was also directed OUTWARD toward anyone that might read my words and take them to heart. So only in that way was it directed toward you in any way. Only way it was directed toward you in any way was through your own assumption that it was. So in that understanding feel free to respond.

My comments were toward everyone for the lesser part and toward the OP for the major part.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Sorry for slicing up your thread. It does get annoying but quite practical

Originally posted by Incarnated

A wonderful case in point both for the OP and for my responce. Do you think I address you out of a case of parranoia or out of a case of self ego assumption that all responces in a given time must be addressed to you?

1. Originally you wrote the following:

To be awakened you must see past that which you want to see. You must therefore want to see the upmost truth in a matter. I understand where the OP is coming from. There's alot of confusion going around these days. Being a little in the confusion you might want to point at others that are way confused to feel better about yourself. However your attempts of claims of being normal show, along with your icon, that you're right there in the ATS MIX.

When you used all those second person pronouns, it was hard to see a couple sentences afterwords if you were still referring to the OP.

Do you think I address you out of a case of parranoia or out of a case of self ego assumption that all responces in a given time must be addressed to you?

Definitely the latter and that is only because you were so prompt to responding in my opinion (Give or take 5 minutes when actually writing a post).

Furthermore, please explain to me that of which you call self-ego assumptions. I am pretty sure I know what it is but since interpretations vary, we must be on the same page first before disputing.

If you do not mind me asking, what is your profession? Can U2U me if you prefer.

However at least you asked instead of making false assumptions. This is a sure sign of seaking clarity and understanding shared reality.

I learned over time assuming and prejudging is the path towards segregation/conflict possibly over something so trivial.

My responce was in major part directed toward the OP (Original Poster) (aka the one that started the thread.) and it should have been taken as such. However it was also directed OUTWARD toward anyone that might read my words and take them to heart. So only in that way was it directed toward you in any way.

Cool.

Only way it was directed toward you in any way was through your own assumption that it was. So in that understanding feel free to respond.

Was not assuming at all. That is why I asked in the first place because I really had no clue.

My comments were toward everyone for the lesser part and toward the OP for the major part.

Okay. Understood.

OVERALL

Well maybe we can get back to topic and not about individual posts.

To be awakened you must see past that which you want to see. You must therefore want to see the upmost truth in a matter.

Wow. I like this a lot. I will take that to heart.

Sorry I have to go but will get back to your original post on this page as soon as I can.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

QUOTE:

ScienceDaily (Sep. 2, 2008) — An illusion that tricks people into believing a rubber hand belongs to them isn’t all in the mind, Oxford University researchers have found. They have observed a physical response as well, a finding that offers insight into conditions which affect a patient’s sense of self and body ownership, such as stroke, schizophrenia, autism, or eating disorders.
_________

‘The rubber-hand illusion is a beautiful device to manipulate our sense of self,’ Dr Moseley says. ‘It tells us that our sense of our bodies, our sense of who we are, is labile.’

Body ownership is a fundamental aspect of self-awareness – the feeling that your body belongs to you and is constantly there. This important sense of self is disrupted in a range of different neurological, psychiatric and psychological conditions, such as after a stroke, in autism, epilepsy, anorexia, and bulimia.

www.sciencedaily.com...

QUOTE:

ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2005) — Scientists have discovered that schizophrenia sufferers are not fooled by a visual illusion and are able to judge it more accurately than non-schizophrenic observers. The study by UCL (University College London) and King's College London suggests that in everyday life, schizophrenics take less account of visual context. If this is part of a more general failure to deal appropriately with context, it could explain why some sufferers might misattribute people's actions or feel persecuted.

QUOTE:

Dr Steven Dakin, of the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, says: "We often think of people with schizophrenia as not seeing the world the way it really is -- for example, during hallucinations -- but we have shown that sometimes their vision can be more accurate than non-sufferers

www.sciencedaily.com...

QUOTE:

Roe's team will continue to study how the brain processes sensory input and illusions, though Roe cautions against misinterpretation of that term. "Illusions are not unusual or strange--they are how we interpret the world," Roe said. "We think we know what's out there in the physical world, but it's all interpreted by our brains. Everything we sense is an illusion to a degree."

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

amazing contribution to this - thanks

when someone can actually prove what reality is or isn't, then we can have a serious chat about madness

until then, crazy just seems to be a useful dumping ground for the things we don't want to deal with - are too lazy to think about - and are inconvenient to our compassion - if we have any

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I only read the quotes and not the links but WOW.

It is just like Spiramirabilis said. Great contribution.

My suggestion is to make a new thread in rebuttal to OP!
That or the tinwiki forum.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

True, but ahah, there is a big catch. You see, we can only determine the factors that we can control or measure. Therefore, there, since in many, if not most, experiments, there may be factors that we cannot perceive or measure, those factors may be different from experiment to experiment, and even though the perceived factors are identical, the results are not. In fact, when that happens, it often leads to a potential path to discover the unknown factor. Techniques such as blocking allow such discovery. However, there may be factors that are completely unknowable, with our present technology.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord

www.sciencedaily.com...

QUOTE:

ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2005) — Scientists have discovered that schizophrenia sufferers are not fooled by a visual illusion and are able to judge it more accurately than non-schizophrenic observers. The study by UCL (University College London) and King's College London suggests that in everyday life, schizophrenics take less account of visual context. If this is part of a more general failure to deal appropriately with context, it could explain why some sufferers might misattribute people's actions or feel persecuted.

QUOTE:

Dr Steven Dakin, of the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, says: "We often think of people with schizophrenia as not seeing the world the way it really is -- for example, during hallucinations -- but we have shown that sometimes their vision can be more accurate than non-sufferers

I think that is very, very true....
good post

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I find it interesting how many mental illness threads are produced on ATS. When you come here you should expect the alternative view point.It more times than not is far from the mainstream world view. It's much easier to call people insane the to entertain these alternative views. One should keep an open mind and some of the more ridiculous threads are usually easily sensed and discarded.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join