It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental health issues abound on ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

hmm, what i meant was, people are finally starting to believe what was previously thought of as crazy and are going about trying to find things where there are none.

it's good that more and more people are actually looking for once instead of ignoring it. hence the awakening deal.

I wouldn't called such people mentally challenged, they're just over exited to contribute to the whole UFO/Aliens/Space phenomena.

but of course, that's aside form the hoxers and those that just want attention.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Of course it is reasonable to question flight of fantasy. Or downright hoaxers.
My personal experience of high strangeness does not preclude interest in others claims.
And officiating bs can be done in a way without malice.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by riggs2099

I agree dude. But ATS is not an accurate sample of civilization or society at large. This kind of subject matter attracts people who are mentally unstable. I'm sure ATS has a much higher percentage of mental cases than most non-conspiracy forums. Honestly, what better place on the web than here for people to voice their delusions, hallucinations, etc. and have an engaged audience? I like the mission statement of ATS to DENY IGNORANCE; but I think that that ideal has be debased by many who are all too willing to EMBRACE NONSENSE.
No offense to the many coherent, smart and cool people here.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
I believe the medical world is covering up or denying that people have higher senses of perseption and their lack of explanation causes fear in their evolution and the human animal theory by adding a medical condition name for how we see in the world. I think some people go to higher states of thoughts and even see things we can not, maybe jump dimensions, see the future, see other beings or maybe other beings see them. But because we have no technology to prove it it is rediculed.
Some people become so upset and stressed by it they blame the stressful condition. What people experience maybe real to them as each body is its own computer in which it translates reality around them. '___' for example can make people see Auras and give them ability to see see the micowave wave lengths and even see peoples bones through their skin.
There could be variant versions of reality, maybe heavenly and maybe some kind of Nivana.

If beings are tapping into our minds our or or physical world maybe they have their own agenda of stepping up to the next level and leaving us behind each time, a bit of Jacobs ladder of reaching the Heavenly realm of reality in steps. Sometimes people may step into the Hellish realms and need to get out, some prefer to be part of it and manipulate their way up.

The case is not closed, only because you see more, does not mean you are crazy, we are all special beings that are just supressed of what potential we have.

I will not deny that we all should have substantial evidence before making radical claims, but if you yourself believe without substantial evidence in your profound experience, isn't that what really counts? That being said....

I hate saying this, but I cannot believe on ATS we have people (no names mentioned) who will not think in terms of my name "Unlimited Possibilities". Does supporting this disposition make me mentally unstable? I would say not at all.

For example,

Originally posted by jpm1602
My personal experience with a shadow critter moving 'in frames' left my mind hobbled. If it wasn't for my dog chasing this beastie into oblivion I'd be playing checkers in a safely secured area. With that said, I have a very open mind to the paranormal from once a purely scientific state of being.

Now I would never deem jpm1602 a mentally ill person or even a plain liar to gain attention. Why? Well, because who am I to judge another human being in direct comparison to the "NORM" of the world. Following the NORM is what got the lot of us stuck in the dream of nice government, happy days are here, America is benevolent and heroic in every way mentality. This happened especially when I was a kid growing up. Objectively speaking, crazy does not exist. Yes there are differences among us but humans judging other humans is "absurd".

We should not mix up someone's "relative" awakening experience with them being mentally ill or crazy. Hope that made sense.

reply to post by jaden_x

I think I agree with you 100%. Yes. Lets watch for the liars and hoaxers.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Let me put forth a better theory, perhaps the new "normal" IS crazy. And that would make you the crazy one for being normal now wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evisscerator
reply to post by sdrawkcabII

I believe the (1) thing we all have to remember here is NOT TO JUDGE anyone or the same rules we apply to that judgment will be used against us.

Regardless if the folks here post with something we don't necessarily agree with, we should respect their right to their opinion, even if we don't agree with it. We did not get to this point in life by not collaborating or the sharing of different ideas and opinions.

We need to move "forward" and to do so means that we are going to have leave our "petty" behaviors behind. I hope that you all can do that or are at least willing to do your best to do that.

I believe we can be better than ourselves. We can be more than we are.
It is time to prove that we can be. It is time to make the comittment to be that which we are now not.

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree with you. Read my post carefully. I do respect the OPs opinion on the matter. I just perceive it to be dis-info. From my perspective, that's what it looks like. Maybe, the OP can respect my view on his subject aye?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The place I live in (state in the USA), people believe in this imaginary man in the sky... they have these strange rituals with robes, candles in incense... they pray to him, believe his son was resurrected from the dead (and one day will come back! LOL).

Yet, not a single one of these people is locked up for being a crazy.

So I guess what I'm saying is.. crazy is in the eye of the beholder.

[edit on 8/23/08 by Angry Danish]

[edit on 8/23/08 by Angry Danish]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is also the internet people. a means to say something without your face being the 1st thing people see when you are speaking, on the internet, we can say everything we want without being interrupted, an then the fecalstorm starts brewing.

Since I've been online , since 96' I've had People send me Fake travelers checks from my resume postings, Fake Emails from jobs like Creative and dell, the check cashing scams out the waaaa-zing, people lying about who they are, where they come from, what they do yadda yadda yadda, Hell I could even be making this up, an really no one would know unless you knew me.

the internet gave birth to the Armchair Commander and the many drafted into Couch warrior 1st class.

We are given a means to be anyone we want online, and many choose not to be themselves, What does that tell you. ... Not alot of people believe in themselves.

I believe we all need to have a lil more love in our hearts, a lil more compassion towards others not to mention respect, Respect is not earned, its distributed freely by people with understanding.

To all my fellow ATSers and Elsewise, Much love Much respect Enjoy yourselves...... PAY IT FORWARD.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hi all. Back in 2003 George Noorey related seeing shadow critters everywhere, approximate size of a possum. I laughed it off and wondered why I listened to such a ridiculous show, coast to coast am. Two weeks later I woke up at 0400 for work and poured my preprogrammed cup of coffee and headed downstairs to the basement for a shower with shorts and socks in hand. I headed down kitchen landing, three steps, and stopped cold. By the back door was an 'entity'. Approximate size of of a large rat and shape. Black as a black hole with red eyes that moved in shifts or phase. Like a card deck of photos. It pleaded with me to be let out, was standing at correct side of door for this. When I say spoke, that is not really correct, it was telepathic. So I'm frozen in place, coffee hand shaking for what was probably 35 seconds when my black lab Bruno came to top of landing tail wagging. This in itself is unusual because 99.8 percent of time he stays sacked out until I am out of shower and he knows he will get his short walk before I haul tail to work. I'm frozen, my eyes go to Bruno, back to 'it', three times. Bruno comes down stairs and 'it' freaks, nearly running over my foot down the stairs with no sound except for high pitched screams in my head, Boo was in hot pursuit and it literally ran thru a closed door. He didnt paw at door, he knew it just 'disappeared' and came back up steps with the weirdest look on his face. I have lived here in Cleveland Ohio for 15 yrs in this house, it is tight, I only get the occasional spider. I spent days trying to rationalise this searching every corner of basement. Nothing. Funny thing, my neighbors moved to Florida within a week like the devil was after them. I still don't know what I saw. I know it was extraordinary though. Some have even said alien abduction. All I know is I haven't been quite the same since.
John

So much for sanity. It was overated anyway. Posted way back in the day. On my thread list.
Let me also say I don't expect 'anyone' to believe this. Because I sure wouldn't. This is the only place I could relate my experience.

[edit on 8/23/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 8/24/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Most of what you are seeing is not the result of mental issues, it is simply lonely people seeking attention.

It's sad but true in most of the cases you mentioned.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It isn't just ATS. I work in the mental health profession and I can tell you business is booming. I have also observed a disturbing uptick in the frequency of violent crimes here, especially crimes against women and children.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I have read every post and didn't see it, so I will be the first to admit:

I have mental illness. I am classified as a sociopath with bipolar, OCD, severe aggression, and paranoia. I have been free of medication for almost 2 years now. No, I have not ever hurt anyone. But yes, I have had a lot of issues, and even more delusions...but it is the ability to pick apart the delusion from logic, and base assumptions on that. However, I have been able to work with theories based on an off-the-wall delusion that has happened to me. Sometimes it is easier to work with what you have than to fight with it (if you know what I mean).

There is no cure for mental illness, only medication to help with some of the symptoms. Even that sometimes is costly with all the side-effect of some of the wonder drugs of today.

I am not saying that this should provide an excuse for some of the posts that seem a bit far-fetched, but perhaps not everyone with mental illness that is a member here posts sensless and far-fetched garbage. I am the craziest person I know and do not believe that I have posted anything off the wall here...mainly just a logical opinion given the information.

It helps to pick apart someones story for yourself before saying how much BS and bullet holes it is filled with. If you will notice, the far-fetched stories posted never include a detail of what happened in someones day. There are basic things that could happen to someone that will throw them off the entire day, as well as thier perception of events. Don't mix this up with people just being fecetious, but often it is difficult to tell the difference. Think about it...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Taledus

Glad to hear you are off the medication. The drug companies really do not care much about the risk factors involved when ingesting their products.

Also, if you could please tell me an example or instance of one of your delusions/issues? If you read through the entire thread, then you know I will not judge you. You can even U2U me if you prefer!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

NP

When I was on one of my medications (risperdal) I would have severe occurences of everything moving underneath me while I was sitting still, hearing voices/noises, horrendously vivid dreams.

Off of my medication, my delusions are all across the board...relative to anything I am interrested in at the moment in time, but only while I am awake as I do not dream when un-medicated. Usually things that I have delusions over mostly deal with physics and science of game design, or just theoretical physics in general. I have been able to come up with characters/races/weapons/etc for stuff for a game I am in the process of working on...prototypes/designs for vehicles and space crafts...countless stories to tell my children about various creatures.

It may sound like I have a good imagination, but it is not...this is stuff I actually see in front of me that appears out of no where. I tend to drop things sometimes due to being startled by some of what I see. Most of the time it throws me from working on one project to something completely different, and often I am unable to keep up with or finish something due to the high volume of stuff I see. I have been told by my wife that often times I will go blank when I am off with ideas.

There has only been one thing I have had delusions about, made a working prototype, and thought I was doing the right thing when I called Inventec about helping me get it pattened...unfortunately I was younger and did not know they are thieves that sell stuff to the government. Since I have a history of mental illness, I have no solid backing (as has been pointed out) when trying to get the rights back for my design. Now it is used for purposes other than was intended. But they didn't get all of the idea, so I have been periodically working on something with what I have left.

Sorry if this is a bit vague discription for an answer. If I am able to think a bit more clearly to get a more specific answer, I'll hit you up

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

So much for sanity. It was overated anyway. Posted way back in the day. On my thread list.

Actually, I saw nothing immediately untruthful or dishonest in the above story. Nor anything crazy. While it's true that I don't believe in the existence of creatures like you claim to have seen, there's no way to verify if you really did see it or not. It could have been your mind playing tricks on you, especially since it happened shortly after you woke up. Perhaps you experienced something akin to hypnagogia, and you were actually dreaming while awake? Kinda like lucid dreaming mixed with sleepwalking. The proximity of time between hearing the broadcast and seeing the creature is also suspect.

Further, you don't seem to have made any claims about the origin of the creature, what it wanted (other than to be let out), what it was doing in your basement or made up impossible BS claims about physical properties of the universe that can be proven demonstrably wrong in attempts to explain the rational impossibilities of such a creature existing.

You simply detailed the encounter, claimed that you saw it - and then... that's it..You don't claim to know much about it beyond that. Which is the truth.

That's the only thing that really gets me... not that people have claimed to have strange encounters, or believe that they have had them, but that they so willingly embrace ignorance, anti-intellectualism, and utter stupidity in name of feeding their own delusions... because even if the encounter WAS real - the fabricated reality they spin around the perceived encounter to try to explain it to themselves still wouldn't be.

There's a thread I was posting in recently about the FDA allowing the irradiation of spinach certain other leafy vegetables. Without even questioning the very notion that the "FDA was out to kill them", nearly half the people in the thread immediately jumped to the conclusion that it meant their vegetables would be radioactive and some even drew parallels between the FDA and Al-Queda unleashing nuclear "dirty bombs". They had no idea how irradiation works - and even with being supplied with links to informational sources still swore to go "organic"... with the real kicker being that organic lettuce would have the same radiation levels as irradiated lettuce regardless because it's the radioactive elements naturally found in the Earth's soil that are absorbed into the produce.

To make no mention of a recent thread in which there was a lengthy debate on how can Space Craft position themselves in orbit when there is no atmosphere for the rocket to push off of. The few people who actually went out and got answers were largely ignored, and the stupidity continued unabated. What is there to be gained by respecting or tip-toeing around an opinion or statement that is based on ignorance and a misunderstanding of even grade-school level physics?

I do consider anti-intellectualism a mental disorder, and it's a shame to see it so prevalent, hell - proudly promoted and trumpeted - in society today. Anyone who wishes to turn their backs on the science and technology which have long proven track records of success in solving real-world problems in favor of mysticism, speculation, blind faith, magic, spiritualism, and ignorance are formally unplugged from reality IMO.

Note: I also had an odd encounter as a child, and although I can still remember parts of it vividly - I cannot say for sure if what I am remembering was a dream, a hobble-together of jumbled memories (including some things I might have seen on TV), or a genuine encounter. What I do know is that as a child I used to have a facinatioon with Grey Aliens and often wished for them to come visit. After the "encounter", I wanted nothing to do with them and their image has scared the hell out of me ever since. I even still get scared in the dark at times, despite being mostly nocturnal myself.

So I do know a bit about where you're coming from.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Im not sure if your story is true or not, but it sure sent a chill down my spine when I read it.

I would STILL be messing up my pants if that happened to me. Spooky stuff.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
My 70lb black lab Bruno must have been halluncinating as well. He sent that 'thing' packing.

[edit on 8/24/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Consider that something like 80% in the UK recently surveyed by reputable source claimed distrust of mainstream television, as well as that same percent in the 1990's surveyed by several sources in the US one has to wonder if the only insane people run the governments and media conglomerates and everybody knows it but them. In other words the sociopaths like to control and run any forum of communication, ergo they flock to places like ATS to enforce the belief system that maintains their control over the 70-80% that don't trust them, and if that doesn't work they send in the men with helmets and guns, etc to ensure obedience.

The numbers being so high that what was once an obscure left or right wing marginalized notion has been mainstream for almost two decades now, which says maybe we are building up to something happening, some kind of revolutionary release? Either way the crazies tend to want radical action while most people tend to want lies to prove what they think, which only fuels the crazies even more. Maybe we have entered into a new era with this Internet and now people tend to distrust just about anybody, remember in Ontological Anarchy anything goes. I think we might have finally reached that point over the last 20 years.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099
I have been a regular on ATS for awhile now. I first came on here to try to get some answers about my personal experiences regarding UFO's. Lately though I have found that there are an awful lot of people with mental issues on here.... This is a personal opbservation, I just had to say something because I am never one to shut up
. I was wondering if anyone else see's the same thing I do.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by riggs2099]

The only crazy ones I've obseved recently are those who say they came here "...to get some answers about my personal experiences regarding UFO's" and the ones who admit, "...I am never one to shut up" Ha Ha --sorry! Insanity is a legal term, not a medical one. Determining what is sane in the 21st century is largely a fruitless pursuit in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thx the people hear who can have a reasonalbe debate on such things. There were a few who called me a troll and even said I was spreading disinfo. This was not a thread to get the nutties all riles up, it was an observation I had made. It is one thing to accept that there just might be a slim possibilty that something maybe up, it's another to ramble on and spewing stories as if they were fact.

My ufo experience's are not interesting, lights in the sky, object seen daytime x 2 and another light in the sky. I don't claim they are alien or government, I have no proof either way and was wondering what they could possibly be. I tend to think they are military, because of the majority of people who claim that the government is trying to keep info from us. That would take a lot of time and effort to try to cover something up. I think they let people go on about how they are abducted, seen aliens, are in touch with beings who are good/bad for this earth. They do this because it will draw attention away from what ever it is they may be doing. Not saying this is fact, but it makes more sense than aliens coming here to save/destroy us. The abduction cases could be the military doing experiments on people and instilling false memories in thier head, and are happy when someone comes forward claiming aliens have done this and that to them.

There are those that feel I am here as a troll and yes I have been rude to the loonies but it has been frustration building up. How is anyone supposed to get to the real truth when there are people spreading crap and mixing it in with the good. There will never be anything found out because no one will ever take this subject seriously as long as they are allowed to do what they do. If this makes some people mad that I do not believe you, I could care less
. I am here for me and thats all, I will continue to mock these insane stories in hopes it will drive you into your own world and stay out of ours. We can never get anywhere or get any real answers as long as you exist. We will continue to be in the dark and thats where my frustration lies.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by riggs2099]

[edit on 24-8-2008 by riggs2099]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join