It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental health issues abound on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I think of myself as a logical person in some ways, as in I usually look for the common factors and what is real that might cause something.

I have seen several UFO's, I don't know if they are made by our government or are alien. Some people say these beings use something similar to hypnosis, so it is possible that the mind sees what is believed to be terrifying or the popular alien in ones own culture.

Think of all the animal shows you have seen where they use a tranquilizer dart to subdue a wild animal. We would be like wild animals to them if they tried to take us, who wouldn't fight back?

So it stands to reason they would use the easiest means for them, to control or subdue us. I would assume if there are aliens they would be much more advanced than us, so they might be able to control us easily, by manipulating our mind, and inducing a hypnotic state.

Just as man has branched out sending up satellites and objects into space, if there is life out there and most scientists agree there probably is, then it is possible that they might be more advanced than us and be flying missions here.

Now lets pretend we are advanced enough to go fly around the universe, what would we do? We would study those planets and objects we would encounter in space. We would take specimens and maybe even kidnap a few alien beings to take back and put on display. We would certainly catch them if we could and examine them, take specimens and tissue from them to study. Would our behavior be all that different than what is being reported?

So I would not call someone mentally ill, or automatically assume someone is mentally ill, because they report being abducted by aliens.

For the truth is, you assume there are no ufo's or aliens. You assume this, because logically you can't perceive such a thing, but you do not know for sure your logic is the truth.

It is your truth you perceive, from your experiences and what you have learned along the way, but it not necessarily the truth. It is only your version of the truth and your version of what you believe to be real. In other words, you could be wrong.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by goose]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I'm not sure what to believe about those things but I would never go so far as to say that these people have mental issues simply because there is absolutely no way for me to assume whether they are telling the truth or not.

I've never been one to understand how someone can be so sure that others are dead wrong about something when there opinion is based on the idea that what THEY believe is true. Like a lot of religious people

They think that anyone who deviates from their main beliefs are in need of some soul saving but how do they know they're even right?? There's no possible way to tell at all.

I'm just curious though as to why you think things like alien abductions can't be real at all but you said yourself you've come here to find answers to your own UFO experiences.

I'd also like to know why it seems that lately people jump to call other they don't agree with as having a mental illness. I was just listening to the radio the other day and a radio host said that he firmly believes that ANYONE who is a liberal is mentally ill and needs to seek professional help. Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

Yes yes. Thanks. Agreed. In relative terms then, ATS could be bringing in people who have some problems, but like BO XIAN said,

9. I'm thankful that there is a place like ATS where folks can come and feel at least understood by others of similar ilk. Many folks will NOT go to a counselor for a variety of reasons regardless of how intense their need. At least at ATS such don't need to feel so extremely isolated and ostracized.

10. Will ATS fix their angst? Not likely at all. Will likely tweak up the anxieties of a good many. Alas, a lot of other things afoot in the world would tweak them up sooner or later anyway. At least here, they don't have to feel so alone.

reply to post by goose

I like the converse way of thinking about it. To put us in the shoes of the aliens, I have never done that before.

I am a firm believer that not only could we all perceive reality differently, but actually what we "see" can be different relative and varying from person to person. (Maybe I will elaborate once I fully understand this myself)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Starts rocking as writes some more crazy stuff .
I must stay off these conspiracy forums Its not right, Aliens the paranormal, I was normal before I came here.
Hang on whats that new thread An Alien picked my nose.
I slapped a vampires ass,that looks interesting.
Meet my mate Big Chief mad face.
link below.

content7.flixster.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I agree with the revelence of different cultures accounting abductions. It does seem to be the reason abductees see what they see.

I won't say they're insane, though. Maybe their brains just made up the entire scenario; over imaginative, perhaps?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think alot of people on here make up such things to either liven up a dull day or gauge peoples views/responses/perspective on certain. However I am sure there are quite a few people on here who aren't quite right in the head.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes there are some posters that do seem to be mentally challenged.

There is only one member that I might consider being insane or under the influence of some type of chemical. He writes total nonsense that I nor other posters can understand.

He writes as if he is on a trip somewhere in the far reaches of his mind. I can almost glean an understanding of what he is trying to say but it is difficult to read between the lines.

Most of the time when we meet people we only see a facade of the real person. We humans have learned to conceal our mental disturbances very well. The majority never let anyone see their true selves.

We all have our unique mental quirks, some more evident that others.

When we are given the opportunity to release our inner feelings some very strange thoughts do come to life in the printed word.

Others do lie and embellish the truth just to get a reaction. We need only look over these and see them for what they are.

Ultimately, we are all human. We have physical and mental irregularities to varying degrees, some more so than others.

Several years ago when mental hospitals in the United States became too crowded to contain the moderately insane patients they were set free to roam the streets. These patients were/are truly insane but not a danger to themselves or anyone else. ATS and other forums do attract not only very intelligent people but also the mentally disturbed.

Those of us that believe we are relatively sane can be thankful to still have a grasp on reality.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by headlightone

I must stay off these conspiracy forums Its not right, Aliens the paranormal, I was normal before I came here.

How right you are, I too felt very normal before I came on here, however I have met some fantastic people so I wouldnt change a thing.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by riggs2099

Since this site also appears to attract these people with their own brand of alleged delusions as if in some group therapy, than please do share your experiences with us as well and let the others here also decide if yours is any more or less deluded.

According to one UFO researcher: most of these types of people or 90% are delusional. Since this also seems to be a theme from abduction stories such as lost time and false realities, than we can also possibly blame the abductors, whomever they actually are.

I've suggested surveys here and there is at least one site I checked into that does this. After several questions, they finally ask about mental illness as if to disqualify whomever they choose statistcally to better maintain their costs. I suppose many people here are being profiled and don't realize it.

If a member does admit being diagnosed as mentally ill, should they be ignore and or banned? Who decides? I believe there is some mention here of administration procedures?

Is Batman like one of the mythical four horsemen? Just an actor in a script? Or have we lost something in translation with our visitors? You would think they've learned by now.(visa versa)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I beg to disagree with the OP for 2 reasons. 1. You absolutely cant judge the mental health of anyone by what they write in here. Why? because believing you have been abducted or believing in any of the other outlandish, for want of a better word, theories that are posted here dosnt mean you are anxious, iritable or have anxiety tendencies likely to cause mental health issues. Actually ATS would help eleviate all the symptoms leading to a breakdown or long term mentall health illness as its a way of getting things out in the open and off your chest.

2. Who are we to say that the those who claim to have been abducted are having symptoms of an alternate reality or halucinations. They might be telling the truth and if not they might be asking for attention or merely trying to start long points scoring threads.

Having worked in the mental health field for more years than I care to mention I would advise that the posting to realy worry about is the one that makes no sense, you cant read it because it has letters or words missing, or may even be repeated as many as 5 or 6 times.

Begging attention by evolving a strange theory or story and posting it on here does not mean you have a mental health issue.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Forgive me but this seems like a trol thread, designed to get the maximum of responses. Or you could put me down as a paranoid no doubt. However your idea wouldnt hold up with the basis of my other threads.

Irritability on it's own isn't a diagnosis afterall. If many people feel irritated then maybe they have a very good reason don't you think? I think some people you are confusing with gunuine and hoax. We have a lot of hoaxers on ATS, an awful lot. It's easy to get side tracked by these people.

However i still think this is a cynical thread designed to cause a reaction in the community. No doubt it'll be succesful because one of the nerve endings on ATS is this one you've mentioned. The idea of us all being nut jobs.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Mental health issues exist everywhere in society. Go downtown and see the homeless sleeping on the street.
Why should ATS be any different?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099
I have been a regular on ATS for awhile now. I first came on here to try to get some answers about my personal experiences regarding UFO's. Lately though I have found that there are an awful lot of people with mental issues on here. These people claim to be abducted by aliens, see things in photographs that simply aren't there, claim to see things or be things that are impossible and a lot of other claims. I was wondering if there is something happening to the population; something that has just broken people and have caused them to lose touch with reality. There appears to be a jump in the crazy claims lately. At first I would see the occasional nutbag..but now it seems to be a thread created on some insane theory.
I say they are mental health issues because they all share the same symptoms:
Schizophrenia and psychosis
Anxiety
Irritability
Confused or muddled thinking
Noticing that things and people seem strange or unreal
Being preoccupied with particular ideas or thoughts
Unusual experiences such as seeing or hearing thing
Those are just some of the signs that I have used...they all seem to be common amonst a lot of people on here. This is a personal opbservation, I just had to say something because I am never one to shut up
. I was wondering if anyone else see's the same thing I do.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by riggs2099]

I believe what you are seeing is a live realization that folks are "waking up" from the duldrums of everyday life. Many are starting to see life in the "peripheral view", something most folks cannot do.

I would say that there are some folks out there that have some emotional or mental needs to be met by a professional, but honestly, the folks you seem to notice here as you described are finding that mainstream people could care less about these issues raised on this website. It would cause them to get away from the I-ME-MY syndrome of today that they are all wrapped up in to have to face some of the certain realities we are seeing today.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I have been a regular on ATS for awhile now. I first came on here to try to get some answers about my personal experiences regarding UFO's. Lately though I have found that there are an awful lot of people with mental issues on here. These people claim to be abducted by aliens, see things in photographs that simply aren't there, claim to see things or be things that are impossible and a lot of other claims. I was wondering if there is something happening to the population; something that has just broken people and have caused them to lose touch with reality. There appears to be a jump in the crazy claims lately. At first I would see the occasional nutbag..but now it seems to be a thread created on some insane theory.
Schizophrenia and psychosis
Anxiety
Irritability
Confused or muddled thinking
Those are just some of the signs that I have used...they all seem to be common amonst a lot of people on here. This is a personal opbservation, I just had to say something because I am never one to shut up

It's hard sometimes, I've seen some nutty # here too..OTOH..take myself: I've seen ghosts, been visited by spirit guides, astral traveled, seen a "shadow man" before I had even heard of them, and a bunch of other things.. and I'm not crazy, on meds, etc, at all. Some of the stuff here is completely true. the trick is discerning gold from horse#.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I believe the medical world is covering up or denying that people have higher senses of perseption and their lack of explanation causes fear in their evolution and the human animal theory by adding a medical condition name for how we see in the world. I think some people go to higher states of thoughts and even see things we can not, maybe jump dimensions, see the future, see other beings or maybe other beings see them. But because we have no technology to prove it it is rediculed.
Some people become so upset and stressed by it they blame the stressful condition. What people experience maybe real to them as each body is its own computer in which it translates reality around them. '___' for example can make people see Auras and give them ability to see see the micowave wave lengths and even see peoples bones through their skin.
There could be variant versions of reality, maybe heavenly and maybe some kind of Nivana.

If beings are tapping into our minds our or or physical world maybe they have their own agenda of stepping up to the next level and leaving us behind each time, a bit of Jacobs ladder of reaching the Heavenly realm of reality in steps. Sometimes people may step into the Hellish realms and need to get out, some prefer to be part of it and manipulate their way up.

The case is not closed, only because you see more, does not mean you are crazy, we are all special beings that are just supressed of what potential we have.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My personal experience with a shadow critter moving 'in frames' left my mind hobbled. If it wasn't for my dog chasing this beastie into oblivion I'd be playing checkers in a safely secured area. With that said, I have a very open mind to the paranormal from once a purely scientific state of being.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Lately though I have found that there are an awful lot of people with mental issues on here.

Evolution does not equate mental health issues.

Open your mind...oh hang on , no do not....close your mind.
Read Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now.... not a mental health issue in sight.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have experienced many things over the last year, these things actually led me to ATS to seek out answers to what was happening to me.

Am I suffering from mental health issues because of this? No I am not, Why?
Why? I am not because I know what being is and what it is to be awake. Prior to ATS and all my conciousness has found here my being was asleep..now my being is awake.

So this is a change in humanity, a change in our very energy vibration, not in mental health issues.

I agree do not open your mind, close it for it is not you. Open your heart to your being, it will set you free.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I hope you can see the irony in this thread posted by a member who thinks they live in “The Abyss”, is in a “malevolent” mood, and has a avatar of a dead actor in costume as a lunatic criminal. Only kidding.....I have to agree with you. We have our fair share of nuts around here. I include myself in that category. I bet this board is part of the curriculum at more than a few University psychology classes.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Critical Thinking? On my ATS?

It's more likely than you think, apparently.

Not to say that I don't believe the abduction phenomena is real on some level - but that there's really no good reason to believe that it is real without objective and verifiable evidence. Personal testimony isn't very reliable, and what you just pointed out is a good example of this.

Aside from the trolls, I think there's a phenomena I like to call the "Prometheus Syndrome" (although I'm sure it has an official name somewhere) in which people set themselves up as saviors or bringers of truth. They like to envision themselves as light bearers in the dark and covert world. The very nature of this site encourages such behavior - and some people just get carried away in this fantasy, often fabricating elaborate Machiavellian conspiracies and spreading fear where there really is none and no reason to believe such conspiracy exists. But by bringing it to your attention, they have "awakened" you and have thus become Prometheus.

(Now if we can just do something about strapping them to a rock and letting the buzzards eat their livers....)

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Lasheic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join