It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden confirmed as Obama's VP by media sources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

The Associated Press has confirmed from undisclosed sources that Joe Biden will be Obamas VP for POTUS. Other media outlets such as CNN have followed and confirmed Biden as VP from undisclosed Democrat sources. The Obama camp is yet to confirm any of this however, Obama will only make his official VP announcement tomorrow. I hope Joe Biden becomes VP if not Kathleen Sebelius.

Associated press
hosted.ap.org...

ABC news
abcnews.go.com...

CNN
edition.cnn.com...

MSNBC
www.msnbc.msn.com...

FOX news
www.foxnews.com...

Joseph R. Biden Jr is a 65 year old senator representing Delaware. He joined the senate in 1973 at the age of 30 (one of the youngest in US history) making him the longest serving senator for the state of Delaware and ran for the president in 1988. He nearly ran again in 2004 but decided to rather campaign for the second time this year. In 2008 Biden dropped out after he lost in the Iowa caucuses after having come 5th and gained mere 0.9% of the vote.

Joe Biden is considered strong on foreign policy and has vast experience in the senate having being a senator for 30years. He is a currently chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and a long-time member of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary. Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell stated that Biden would be the best choice for Obama refering again to Bidens foreign policy experience and political roots.

There are many skeptics of the confirmation as to whether Biden will be announced as VP tomorrow, some cite that Virginia Gov. Timothy Kaine may very well be VP instead, he may be core to Obama taking Virginia come November. Who ever it is it will be official tomorrow (or later on today) when Obama announces his vp.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I am positively thrilled! My first choice! He's a great man with a lot of experience and an upfront and honest man. I couldn't be more pleased.

And it HAS now been confirmed. I got the email!

Obama/Biden '08!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm not sure its a good pick or not. On one hand, it should help Obama shore up his weaknesses on foreign policy at least somewhat.

On the other hand? Joe Biden has been in DC a very long time; 35 years. That presents a couple of possible problems for Obama. One, Obama has been beating the 'hope and change' theme like a dead horse. How is the selection of a career Washington politician representative of either one? That's a question that Obama will have to answer. Second, as I said, he's been there 35 years. Unlike Obama, there's an extensive paper trail of votes, particularly on social issues such as gun control, abortion and others. That could be a serious problem, although I'm going to have to research his positions further to know how much (I do know he authored the '94 assault weapons ban and has been pushing reauthorization; that IS going to be an issue).

As I've stated repeatedly in the last several months and reiterated yesterday, I also thought it could be problematic should Obama select a VP who's credentials badly overshadowed his own. That's what he just did. It'll be interesting to see how well it works when the VP appears to be, on paper, a much, much more qualified presidential candidate than the actual presidential candidate.

And finally, there's one more ominous fact for the Dems with this selection. No Dem ticket has won the presidency without a southerner on the ticket since Franklin Roosevelt in 1940, and even that was a bit of a unique case given Roosevelt's popularity after the previous 8 years. Prior to that? Woodrow Wilson, who served as governor of New Jersey (he was born in Virginia, however).

[edit on 23-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Have to wait and see how he impacts the campaign.

Also how he will overcome the negative things he said about Obama while he was running for President like the Johnny come lately comment?

Do you think that this pick will unite the Hillary people to Obama?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I can tell you this much the man is a credit card giant MBNA butt kisser what a joke Obama has made of himself.

Pity.

More bankruptcy laws anyone?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I know. I filed under his new bankruptcy law that heavily favored the corporations. The same corporations that are charging us outrageous interest fees as we speak. Especially if you miss a payment or go over your limit.

But let's wait and see how Obama explains this since he believes we should rewrite the bankruptcy laws.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I am positively thrilled! My first choice! He's a great man with a lot of experience and an upfront and honest man. I couldn't be more pleased.

And it HAS now been confirmed. I got the email!

Obama/Biden '08!

I know aint it great!

Im sorta glad they didnt pick Hillary.. urgh...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Regardless of who McCain chooses as his VP, Biden will smash them in a debate. He's a smooth and charasmatic guy who very well could take a lot of the focus off Obama.

Still, I don't want either of the Presidential hopefuls to be President, so it's really meaningless in the end.

Peace

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I'd forgotten about this. This will surely be an interesting pair.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I'd forgotten about this. This will surely be an interesting pair.

yea I know, now that Joe Biden is by his side I guess that issue is sorted!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yeah but this now confirms Hillary is a woman scorned. As far as she's concerned, ot's open season on Obama at the Democratic National Convention. If she's got any cards to play as a last ditched effort for POTUS, you can bet she's going to play them next week.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I just couldn't be happier about this. Joe Biden was my first choice on day one. He has been "in Washington" for 35 years and yet he takes the amtrak back home to Delaware every night. It might be difficult to slant him as a "Washington Insider" when you consider that fact.

Joe Biden has been big on civil rights throughout his career and despite his short-comings regarding bankruptcy, his Violence Against Women Act will be hard for Hillary to deny her supporters.

Joe Biden absolutely speaks out of line, as much as McCain if not more. I think this will actually help to lessen the elitist spin convervative talk jocks have been laying down on Obama.

It'll be interesting to say the least.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

So, it doesnt matter to you that Biden said on many occasions that Obama was not qualified and a president doesn't have time for on the job training?

new topics

top topics

join