It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to my Kitchen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to share with you a bit of what the blessings of bounty have brought to my kitchen this season, now mind you the dates are incorrect on my VCPT850 Digital camera so just so you know I took these pictures this evening.

Well here we go: First picture "Welcome to our Kitchen" Note the hippy curtains I found at a yard sale for 4 dollars, I love them! They are so elegant in real life.

This next one is of the fresh organic Italian tomatoes w/ basil, oregano and wild garlic canned this afternoon. Oh and note the sweet smelling sage in the corner, I still need to tie and hang it tonight.

This is just todays pickings of cucumbers and pickles, and the care package for my Brother Ron, Salsa, tomatoes, spag sauce, sweet relish, strawberry and blackberry jams, pickled beets (my favorite) homemade tobasco, apple butter and cinnamon apple sauce. I will also throw in some fresh chiles and herbs as he loves to cook.

Getting ready to make salsa fresca, yummm, my 93 year old Grandpa supplied the green bell peppers not pictured...

And one more, now dont mind the mess! But speaking of mess down here we call that a mess of ugly apples! I have been picking and canning for days and still have loads more to put up for winter, oh and I did freeze 16 pie fillings ( spiced apples @ sugars) in baggies shared a few too with others.

Well thats about it, then in a few days the green beans will be ready. Just recieved my winter crops yesterday from Baker Creek Heirloom seed co. I plan to put out LOTS of turnips and beets, and the kitchen counter in the pictures will have grow lights attached underneath and in terracotta pots will be lettuces and fresh herbs and beans.

I hope the pictures come out ok, I am not so good with teckie stuff, but I can sure stuff a techie

Now for my friends down under get your seeds ready as it is your turn next!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

OH no the pictures are all fuzzy and distorted, and one of the loveliest pictures is too small. Help?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Good for you, beautiful stuff!
You've been a busy girl!
I've been lazy this year and let a LOT of cucumbers go 'bad' in the fridge!
I 'put up' about 12 jars of tomatoes(some plain and some with garlic and onions), froze about 4 more(gallon) and pickled about 4 jars of okra.
I froze two more gallons of okra.(whole and cut up for frying.)

If I might ask; How do you do your salsa?
Also, how do you do your apple pie jars?

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

First of sounds like you have some very good dinners coming this winter, and I think that eating fresh foods during the winter months boosts your immune system to fight many of the nasties that drag people down.

As for salsa, I take the follwing and add to taste:

Tomatoes cucumbers Lime
green onions red onion bell pepper
cilantro hot peppers a bit of celery leaf if you want
parsley garlic pinch of sugar
oregano sea salt and red or black pepper

I use the food processor and chop all ingredients fresh and clean.
Then placing in clean hot jars boil under water for a full boil of about 25 minutes. This keeps any bacteria from tainting the salsa yet it is not mushy and tasteless when done.

However there are some excellent recipes that you would cook all the ingredients first and then place in hot jars and process for up to 35 minutes, it comes out more like a delicious taco sauce than fresca.

Really its like Pad Thai, what ever you have in the kitchen mixed with tomatoes and hot peppers will be good, just remember the cilantro and lime for that real authentic mexican flavor.

Edit for not having seen the question about apple pie filling, Easy as pie,

I use fruit fresh in a big pan of 'cold' water, slice the apples in 4ths or 8ths depending on the size of the apples, then taking a pearing knife, cut an clean apple slices and place them in a second bowl of cold water w/ fruit fresh.

Then next blanch the apples (place in boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften) and then set into a large container with ice water (Frozen empty milk jug or the likes works better than ice cubes) to stop the cooking process.

Then drain and place in freezer bag, 3 cups per pie so 6 cups per gallon bag. Next and this is according to individual taste but pie spice , ginger, extra cinnamon and a 1/2 tsp. of almond extract or vanilla. Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cup brown sugar. Mix it up in the bag and freeze right away. When your ready, pull it out and have 2 regular size pie crusts ready and fill and bake. Thaw the apples a bit first though.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by antar]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks!
I guess the difference is 'uncooked' tomato salsa. (food processor.)
I'm probably going to have a lot more tomatoes soon, so, that's what I'll do!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

If you love spagetti like we do, that is a great way to get rid of a bunch of tomatoes. You can cook it up and can or freeze.

Also if your feeling lazy dehydrated foods deal with them selves, I will try and get some pictures of my old frames for you to see tomorrow. It is simple, take 3 window screens place them together on a wooden frame and save the third screen for spraying with olive oil spray so no sticking, and place in between the two on the frame to keep insects from landing on your tomatoes while they dry, just remember to bring them in if it rains, lol Ive made that boo boo before , just let them dry again but they were not as good. I have 2 dehydrators now so thats what I plan to use this year but sun dried cant be beat later in pasta dishes and stews or salads.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

You, my friend, are going to be SET for winter!
Way to go!

Can I come for dinner?

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You are always welcome clearskies, and yes we do eat well around here.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey Ladies...

I noticed you're talking a bit about canning and stuff - this is something I REALLY want to know how to do! I don't think my mother knows how, as she has never done it... Maybe she does (?). But I really want to know about canning...I want to start canning fresh food, I'm not so much a fan of processed stuff.

Is it something I need to do hands-on in order to learn? Or if you gave me step by steps, would that work out?

- Carrot

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I am no expert by any means, just learn as you go. I do have a Grandma and ex mom in law that gives me hints along my way but you know really if you have a computer I find google is the best teacher ever.

I figure that if I give my family some fresh garden stuff through winter, it keeps their immune systems stronger and able to tolerate more contaminants. Plus aside form the nutritional value it tastes so much better and I feel like I am serving real food, the canned stuff from stores really makes me feel guilty and like I am not doing all I can to deny ignorance for my children who only have me to care for them and to set a good example.

And finally it really is a labor of love, and a very creative way to express ones self in a world that we have so little control in. It really feels good to look at the end result from months of prep and planning.

There are so many ways to eat healthy, let me know if I can help you get started.

If I were young and single, I figure it would attract the types of men I would want in my life and that would have respect for me for being proactive in matters of conscious eating habits.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thanks!

I'll take a look on Google, and see how I do! If I have any questions I'll let ya know!

Yeah, I am not so much a fan of the canned foods from stores - they're not as fresh, or nearly as good for you as Home-done canning. My grandmother does a lot of Canning and she always sends us home with some when we visit...I will learn though how to do it myself.

Thnks!

- Carrot

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Tomatoes and pickles are VERY easy!
Just get you some jars and lids, boil some water, score the bottoms of the washed tomatoes and put them in boiling water for about 2 minutes.
That will make the skin come right off!
Then cook them down a bit.
Put in anything you want + a little salt.
Let it cool( a little) .
Make sure the jars are super clean, fill them and let them set.
For pickles, get your vegetables or fruit, add spices to your vinegar solution and let it boil.
arrange the veggies (or fruit) in the super clean jars and pour the vinegar in them to fill.

The other vegetables are a little harder, because you have to have a pressure canner.
But, they're easy to freeze or dehydrate!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to share with you a bit of what the blessings of bounty have brought to my kitchen this season, now mind you the dates are incorrect on my VCPT850 Digital camera so just so you know I took these pictures this evening.

Well here we go: First picture "Welcome to our Kitchen" Note the hippy curtains I found at a yard sale for 4 dollars, I love them! They are so elegant in real life.

This next one is of the fresh organic Italian tomatoes w/ basil, oregano and wild garlic canned this afternoon. Oh and note the sweet smelling sage in the corner, I still need to tie and hang it tonight.

This is just todays pickings of cucumbers and pickles, and the care package for my Brother Ron, Salsa, tomatoes, spag sauce, sweet relish, strawberry and blackberry jams, pickled beets (my favorite) homemade tobasco, apple butter and cinnamon apple sauce. I will also throw in some fresh chiles and herbs as he loves to cook.

Getting ready to make salsa fresca, yummm, my 93 year old Grandpa supplied the green bell peppers not pictured...

And one more, now dont mind the mess! But speaking of mess down here we call that a mess of ugly apples! I have been picking and canning for days and still have loads more to put up for winter, oh and I did freeze 16 pie fillings ( spiced apples @ sugars) in baggies shared a few too with others.

Well thats about it, then in a few days the green beans will be ready. Just recieved my winter crops yesterday from Baker Creek Heirloom seed co. I plan to put out LOTS of turnips and beets, and the kitchen counter in the pictures will have grow lights attached underneath and in terracotta pots will be lettuces and fresh herbs and beans.

I hope the pictures come out ok, I am not so good with teckie stuff, but I can sure stuff a techie

Now for my friends down under get your seeds ready as it is your turn next!

so are you like a wizard or something

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Page

Nah, just taking some of what the world has shown me and the great information I have learned here on the forum for the past couple of years and put my money where my mouth is.

I would probably still be stocking up from the cheap foods stores if I had not decided to use the information learned and do what I can. Believe me it never seems to be enough.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Antar-- you have a gorgeous kitchen!!! This is a wonderful thread that I have learned a lot from, so thank you!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Nah, just taking some of what the world has shown me and the great information I have learned here on the forum for the past couple of years and put my money where my mouth is.

I would probably still be stocking up from the cheap foods stores if I had not decided to use the information learned and do what I can. Believe me it never seems to be enough.

yea but you have all those vegtables. I would not wanna drink or eat all that stuff. can you post a picture of yourself and maybe the rest of your house.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Michael Pait]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
if you know any wizards or anything of that nature that would be cool because there has been some weird stuff going on in my house

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Pait

Talk to me, am open to listening to your story. perhaps this is not the place we will want to go into detail, but I understand the kitchen is often considered the heart of the house, did this thread bring that to the surface for you? If you feel uncomfortable talking before everyone, u2u me and I may be able to assist you further.

Surrounding you with the warmth of my kitchen and the love that has grown from there.
In my prayers, Antar

[edit on 25-8-2008 by antar]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Ty Alora! Its more often messy than neat as it is truly the soul of our families day to day. More great conversations have been started here and a few arguments too! Its all energy and I thank you for appreciating the space. I built the wall and an add on , did the counter tops by hand, its a work in progress for sure. I went one whole winter with blankets up to keep out the cold as we ran out of money before it was completed. I love the pot lights in the ceiling as I can turn down the mood and set the lighting (a feature much needed by a woman my age) and that can be very pleasing to the senses.

More pics to come, I took some of yesterdays apple doings, they are hard to work up but a great source of vitamins in the cold of winter.

Trying to catch up on some FOIA docs today, but will get pics up asap!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Tait

Originally posted by azar

yea but you have all those vegetables. I would not wanna drink or eat all that stuff. can you post a picture of yourself and maybe the rest of your house.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Michael Pitt]

I took some new pics yesterday, but don't look for many close ups of my fat bod. I will be happy to share some other pics of my home, just not right now. You think I would look skinny by the way I eat, but you know its that Buddha syndrome, starved when I was young and contemplating my navel, then bang, on it came. I have several outside pics I will share too, the garden needs some weeding right now, everyone dumped me about 3 weeks ago, and 3 weeks is an eternity of weeding. Mostly grass, fescue if you know how that is. You can start on one row and by the time you get to the end you need to start over, lol! Yes I will for you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join