It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic(k)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ever since I was a kid I was always into the idea of wizards, magic and the sort. Now I'm 17 and still considered a kid to some but how can someone my age. Further educate myself on that sort of stuff?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
use the net man...

read Alistair Crowley's Magick and study who influenced him and who he influenced.

here, check out this

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Read Drawing down the moon by margot adler. It gives a pretty in depth history of 'magic'

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yea I know to use the net, but most sites aren't credible imo.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Research what you want. What do you want to do? Think very carefully about what you want to do, and make sure your costume in the role will allow you to do it.

After that, learn what you want to learn, keep your cloak your cloak, and enjoy google until you form relationships with people who will help you.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just don't take Harry Potter to seriously.....Back in the 90s I spent my early teen years having wizard battles on the front lawn with holly branches as wands....don't want to go down that road again.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bokni

Hey there Bokni,

Magic ... Magick ... Majik ... and so it goes on.

You said you've already checked-out some websites but they weren't credible. Well take a quick peek at mine (see link in my siganture) and if you think it's credible let me know what you would like to know and learn about first and I will point you in the right direction.

Someone else sugessted reading about Aleister Crowley ... that's a good suggestion ... read his work as a lesson in WHAT NOT TO DO !
Seriously, this is one of the most important lessons to learn when embarking on this path.

Mr Crowley's wasn't a man ... he wasn't a demon ... he was simply a giant ego who sadly believed his own hyped BS. IMHO he's done more damage to the reputation of the craft than anyone else.
But he seems very popular with the 'wanna be bad-asses' who think his perversions were cool and what magick is about (they're not ... and it's not).

Bottom line; it all depends on the path you want to take.

If you want any advice from me just give me a shout ... if not just be safe and well in whatever you choose to do.

LL&BB Woody

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Crowley was a fraud who died a penniless drug addict.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

I rest my case ... just wish the people who think he's what it's all about could get their heads around that.

If ever there was a case for 'book burning'

Looks like his 'magick powers' deserted him in the end though (how ironic hey) and yet still there are those who think he was the master. er hum!!!

Like I said the perfect example of what not to do.

Woody

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by Soulstone

I rest my case ... just wish the people who think he's what it's all about could get their heads around that.

If ever there was a case for 'book burning'

Looks like his 'magick powers' deserted him in the end though (how ironic hey) and yet still there are those who think he was the master. er hum!!!

Like I said the perfect example of what not to do.

Woody

I don't know about the whole book burning thing..

But it is true too many people think over-highly of him...

One thing he did help was foster the idea of possibility....

Magick is nothing more than being able to control oneself IMO, sure it's much more than that.. but essentially without that you have nothing.

I am aware of my verbal inconsistencies .. (it's done on purpose)

[edit on 8/23/2008 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I agree that there is a lot of rubbish material on the internet regarding majick (however you wish to spell it) but there are a lot of wonderful, brilliant, and insightful websites, too, that offer help, guidance and information.

If you really want to know, then your search won't ever stop.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

I only meant 'his' books should be burned.
and I was speaking metaphorically (no book should ever be burned, not even the bad ones ... they should serve as a deterent).

And you are right ... real magick is all about knowing your strengths and weaknesses and how to control them and merge them with various energies (depending on the purpose of your intention). There may not be flashes and smoke (unless you've lit the balefire of course), but the results can be astounding in the most subtle of ways.

Woody

top topics

join