It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nebraska law allows abandonment of teens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Nebraska law allows abandonment of teens

www.msnbc.msn.com

OMAHA, Neb. - Nebraska’s new “safe-haven” law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.

While lawmakers may not have intended it, the month-old law raises the possibility that frustrated parents could drop off misbehaving teens or even severely disabled older children with impunity.

“Whether the kid is disabled or unruly or just being a hormonal teenager, the state is saying: ’Hey, we have a really easy option for you,”’ said Adam Pertman, executive director of a New York adoption institute and a frequent critic of safe-haven laws.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Parents are often blamed for trouble making teens, lack of discipline, and teens who drop out of school.

Parents who many believe do not have time for raising children, households where both parents work, well now, at least in Nebraska they can get rid of their problem.

This is also a great way to get rid of the financial strain of raising a teenager. Face it, teens eat a lot, want you to buy them expensive clothes, video games, computers, televisions, etc.

Now it is easy, just get rid of the problem.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Teens are already abandoned by their parents on a regular basis anyway, with pretty much no legal repercussions whatsoever.

It happens every day.

I should know, I had to spend thousands to feed my ex-friend's two sons for most of a year after he abused the hell out of one of them and then threw both of them out on the street.

Thankfully they are both safe now, and building decent lives for themselves.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
After you drop them off do you have to stay? I rather like my job in Nevada and would hate to move just to drop my kid off.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Teens are already abandoned by their parents on a regular basis anyway, with pretty much no legal repercussions whatsoever.

Well, they can do it in Nebraska now without any possibility of repercussions.

Seriously, how did we get to this, runaways, high school drop outs, and now abandoned teens? The stats are rather alarming.

Is there some change occurring in where parents are no longer responsible?

When all else fails, just move to Nebraska!

What happened to the days when parents were parents first and foremost, when parents worked and saved for the college education of their children, when parents actually were involved in their children's education, or at least interested in their report cards??

If our children are the future, then we may be in trouble if current trends continue. IMO

[edit on 22-8-2008 by The_Alarmist2012]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

You know it's funny, you need a license to fish in the state of Nevada, but you don't need one to pro-create.

I grew up in a Catholic family and went to a Catholic school. The first thing I noticed when I started first grade was that paddle on the side of Sister Mary Blah blah blah's desk. I only needed to see one kid get hit with that thing before I got the message.

These days the Libs and the Dems want us to believe we need more/bigger gov't to compensate for perceived parental shortcomings. I think we need paddles, and a village to wield them.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
IME it's the parents that need the paddling these days, not the kids.

I was shocked by how the allegedly "liberal" DYFS allowed this guy to get away with what he did.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
IME it's the parents that need the paddling these days, not the kids.

Agreed, the agenda has been happening for decades now. It seems the schools and social programs want to coddle children now a days. Everybody gets a trophy, everybody gets a ribbon, etc... When I was growing up the winners got the trophy's. That's how you could distinguish effort from apathy. Kids these days are not taught coping skills for losing because they never lose. Everyone's a winner! And look where that's getting us.

I'll never forget my son's first T-ball game. He knocked the ball 30 yards passed the outfielders and the coach held him at first base. I was screaming RUN, RUN, RUN! It was kind of embarrassing cuz that's when I learned there is no such thing as a home run in t-ball. Who knew?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
oh man i can see it now.
younger brother:hey, my throat hurts real bad so mom and dad say i probably need to go to the hospital.
older brother:is that what they told you?ha!they just eant you to think that because they don't want you to cry too much, they are really taking you there to leave you!

sorry but i have to look at things with a sense of humor, it's a survival mechanism. i wonder if there is like a trading system, trade in your troubled teen for a young impressionable kid that can still be trianed. or tired of changing diapers? come on down to Nebraska's Used Kids and trade in your high maintenance model for one of our classic worn in models that ignore you all together...So full of angst you won't even know they're there! At Nebraska's used kids we take any trade in, we're crazy folks! c'mon down and leave your worries behind!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Maybe for some young parents this could be a good thing, they could make all their mistakes on their first child, learn from them, throw them away at a Nebraska hospital, then try again, perhaps after a few times they could get it right?

top topics

join