It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manchester airport arrests linked to plot to assassinate Prime Minister

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Manchester airport arrests linked to plot to assassinate Prime Minister

news.bbc.co.uk

The arrests of three men over terror offences are linked to an investigation into threats to kill Prime Minister Gordon Brown, the BBC has learned.

The threats, also against former prime minister Tony Blair, were made in January on a recognised jihadi website.

The group posting the statement called itself "Al Qaeda in Britain" and demanded the withdrawal of British forces from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The men were arrested at Manchester Airport and in Accrington, Lancashire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Apparently the recent arrests at Manchester Airport were linked to an alleged plot mentioned on a jihadi website to assassinate the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown. Threats against former PM Tony Blair were also made. There are also supposedly demands to release high-profile terrorism suspects in Belmarsh, the maximum security prison too.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Bugger!!

Why the hell were they stopped. They could have done the UK a big favour.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
they must be the worlds crappest terrorists why take out Gordon Brown? Hes done more for then than he has for us.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Bugger!!

I hope you dont mean why didnt they let the terrorists do what they wanted to do if you did then why the hell would you want innocent Britons to die

why are theyre terrorists in the world anyway why in the world would you want to kill another person anyway what the hell is wrong with you if you want to iill another person.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Tongue-in-cheek remarks aside, I wonder what the credibility of this threat was. Was it just a few posts on some Islamic fundamentalist website, or was there a serious and clear threat emerging?

Whether you love or loathe a particular Prime Minister, they surely have the right to do the job without being killed. I think even those who disliked Margaret Thatcher or John Major were outraged when the IRA tried to assassinate them; the way to get rid of a politician you dislike is through the ballot box, not the bomb. Brown may not have shaped up to be a good Prime Minister, but he has as much a right to live as I do or anyone else on ATS does.

[edit on 22/8/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
Tongue-in-cheek remarks aside, I wonder what the credibility of this threat was. Was it just a few posts on some Islamic fundamentalist website, or was there a serious and clear threat emerging?

Whether you love or loathe a particular Prime Minister, they surely have the right to do the job without being killed. I think even those who disliked Margaret Thatcher or John Major were outraged when the IRA tried to assassinate them; the way to get rid of a politician you dislike is through the ballot box, not the bomb.

100% true if more people thought like that the world would be a better place

ill give your comment a star for that aswell

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
OK, there's room for humour. But at the end of the day

a) conspiracy to murder is really not funny

b) the PM represents something we should value: self-determination, rule by the consent of the majority

Are the majority so asleep they take their current freedoms for granted? If, as I suspect, this news will arouse relatively little interest as someone in another thread photographed a 'grey' leaving Dominos with a seafood pizza, we really are sleepwalking towards disaster...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Precisely.

Your opinion on Gordon Brown is almost irrelevant; the fact is, someone has apparently planned to kill the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to further their own political goals. I find that absolutely outrageous. Even if I absolutely loathed a particular Prime Minister, I would be outraged if they were assassinated. No one but the electorate has the right to decide who leads this country.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Look folks, the UK Government are to BLAME for this.

Why do i say that? they are soft on terrorists thats why.

Inside the Metropitan Police (London) They have a terror trained Wahhabist officer.

They KNOW this, yet they fear sacking him for 'race relations'.

So if the UK Gov get slotted by mad mooj and his head chopping brigade, well, hung by their own petard i think the saying goes.

link 1
Link 2

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So you think it would be just for him to be killed just because our laws arent pefect which i agree theyre not but for crying out loud he doesnt deserve to be assasinated who the hell would think he deserved to die for that reason.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So you think it would be just for him to be killed just because our laws arent pefect which i agree theyre not but for crying out loud he doesnt deserve to be assasinated who the hell would think he deserved to die for that reason.

[edit] Sorry for double post theyre.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You invite the terrorist into your house, do not be suprised when he kills you.

The Gov went against years of SS and SIS advice and let many many people with very disturbing backgrounds into the police and security apparatus, to the extent that SS will no longer jointly share intelligence with certain officers and units.

They made their beds, now they must lay in them.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8

Originally posted by Wotan
Bugger!!

I hope you dont mean why didnt they let the terrorists do what they wanted to do if you did then why the hell would you want innocent Britons to die

why are theyre terrorists in the world anyway why in the world would you want to kill another person anyway what the hell is wrong with you if you want to iill another person.

You obviously dont recognise english black humour.

Of course I dont condone terrorism, lighten up.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well he is a pretty useless prime minister you'd have to admit.
I mean it wouldn't matter what side he was on, he got it by default and is gonna get kicked out eventually anyway.
Although linking these fools to that is probably just a scare tactic.
Getting ready for the next murder expedition.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Hi Dan

I have to take issue with your statement.

Look folks, the UK Government are to BLAME for this.

Why do i say that? they are soft on terrorists thats why.

Inside the Metropitan Police (London) They have a terror trained Wahhabist officer.

They KNOW this, yet they fear sacking him for 'race relations'.

You have done well to raise this issue, however your angle is way over the top. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps you were using hyperbole to arouse interest.

It was also good of you to provide a couple of sources, which make interesting reading. However on examination they don't back up your 'soft on terrorists' claim. Here's an extract from the second article:

Secret service agents are said to be monitoring the suspects, who work at different London police stations. A Yard spokesman said: "All police officers and police staff, upon joining the Metropolitan Police Service and during their careers undergo a range of security checks.

"These are robust and vary accordingly to the type and sensitivity of the individual postings.

"We take matters of security very seriously and if any issues arise about individuals, they may be subject to further assessment.

"This could lead to restrictions being put in place relating to where an individual may work within the organisation or could lead to their dismissal."

"If there are people within the police force feeding information to terror groups this needs to be stopped.

"Since the names came to light there has been a non-stop effort to find out everything about their backgrounds."

It is more a case of thorough investigation and natural justice than 'going soft on terrorists'. Or should they turn people out of work on the back of suspicion?

I'm afraid the spin you put on this is akin to tabloid journalism.

Let's not take the focus away from the suspects who have a definite case to answer.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

shouldnt have bothered, Brown has shot himself in the foot so many times its only a matter of time that one goes through his head

david

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
[quote
b) the PM represents something we should value: self-determination, rule by the consent of the majority

hello Pause, personally although i agree with the later part of your statement, what i disagree with is that this, in effect, actually happens

democracy is a fallacy, how ofter are election pledges ignored and/or forgotten?

These people do not truly represent the peoples because if they did they would reflect the majority and its wishes. When do we see our MP's consult the nation on any issue let alone a new situation?

If democracy truly worked we would all have a vote on every issue and we do not. If the majority was truly represented then the majority would have its way on in parlament. it doesn't.

we live in a dream world, we think we wield some sort of power during election time but that power dissolves the moment the paper enters the ballot box.

in election campaigns we are promised certain things by a party, yet these things are voted on and against by other parties and even the none elected house of Lords. dismissing and diluting papers/bills.

I welcome Gods Kingdom

david

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Reply to drevill

As to your final statement, you are right: a totally benevolent monarchy is the only perfect system, and it is never going to happen with a human on the throne.

I'm not quite sure how you managed to sneak that in.

However there is still a welcome gulf between our present system and one where having those who govern us chosen by default because a certain section of society is prepared to let them stay alive.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Noone ever actually voted for Gordon Brown. He is there by default and is to afraid of losing his position to hold a general election.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join